• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Balsams resort in New Hampshire

Fernwood

We recently heard about a resort in far northern New Hampshire called "The Balsams". It's an American plan kind of place, which makes sense, as I doubt there are many other restaurants in the county; I'm not sure there's even a real town in the vicinity.

The Balsams website makes much of the food, and the friends that told us about the place did mention it. Has anyone been there? We are fantasizing heavily about a ski trip later this season.

Thanks, Fern

Have not been there but it is called "one of the world's 12 poshest ski resorts" by SKI Magazine (rated for a resort destination, certainly not its local skiing) and has numerous high ratings, including Zagat, Mobil Travel Guide, etc.

Snow Country Magazine included The Balsams Wilderness as one of the top 10 cross-country resorts in North America. One ski guide says "the on-site alpine ski area isn't much". It does not have much elevation and is kinda small for an alpine ski area, but might be fun for a while.

You could always drive to Jay's Peak, Sugarloaf or Wildcat/Attitash in 1 to 1-1/2 hours and Sunday River in under an hour.

Looks like the choice of fine dining places would be rather limited...beyond the Balsams Hotel. They are a little stuffy; say they require jackets after 6pm!

Please report back, if you go!

I am planning to get up to the White Mountain area of New Hampshire this winter to ski. I would like to know of more areas than Killington and Stowe. However, I found some dining in the Killington area to be very good!

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

i,ve been up there years ago. it isan amazing place from what i hear now. years ago they had presidential summits up there. it was really beautiful then and from what i hear with the changes lately you won't be disapointed.as far as the food goes,,,im really not sure. enjoy!

We stopped in for lunch there a few years ago. They had an incredibly lavish buffet spread--imagine the food you would get on a cruise. In fact, the experience is very much like being on an ocean liner. You're in the middle of nowhere, the facilities are luxurious and diverse, and the crowd tends to be homogenous and well-heeled. By the way, every 4 years The Balsams hosts the first vote in the first primary in the US--at midnight, when all 12 registered voters of Dixville Notch come to the hotel to cast their votes.

I've stayed there several times and WHS is correct it is like being on a cruise ship. More than the food is the wait staff - they and a table are dedicated to you for your stay so you can eat whenever you want and your table and staff are there. The food is excellent, not compared to some of the destination restaurants that are discussed in this forum but worth the visit. The building is historic and the cross country skiing excellent. The downhill mountain is very easy but Cannon is not too far away if you want expert terrain. Many friends also go there in the summer for golfing. You will enjoy your stay