• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four Restaurants -- Comments & Thoughts Requested

Desserts at the Waterside are in my mind superb

Matthew -- That the Waterside Inn has a strong dessert offering is apparently shared by many. As recounted in "Life Is a Menu", the Queen was originally going to WI for some "significant" prior birthday. However, the press got wind of this, and the venue was moved to some royal facility (apologies I don't have the book with me right now). As the distance from the kitchen to the dining room there was more significant, Roux could not make souffles for everybody, but nonetheless served one to the Queen and another to some other significant royal. Also, the MOF that Roux won is with respect to patisserie.

I'm not a big fan of dessert, and prefer RHR's desserts to Roux's. That being said, I may be in the minority on this point. Have you sampled the platter of Roux desserts called "Péché gourmand selon 'Michel' (A selection of six mouth-watering desserts of Michel Roux)"?  I have not.

BTW, have members heard of any chef involvement in the upcoming Queen's birthday celebrations this year?

• 1 month later...
BTW, have members heard of any chef involvement in the upcoming Queen's birthday celebrations this year?

I read in the Guardian last Friday that Peter Gladwin is catering for a big birthday bash for HMTQ at the Guildhall in the City.

I'd post a link but I can never find anything on their site.

Gavin

Just a note.

Ive eaten at RHR four times in the evenings as well as a couple of lunches. I have never been asked to leave early nor has it been suggested (the earliest that I have sat down is 7.15) nor have I seen tables turned when I have been there. Guess I am just lucky.

The seating times offered have been staggered, with 15 mins inbetween. Whether this is for the kitchen or in order to allow the obsequious maitre'd to call you by name when you walk in I dont know but I have been greeted by name every time I have been through the door.

Twice I have got tables through cancellations. On these occasions I rang either the day before or on the day. It seems that businesses and self-centered tossers regularly book a number of tables at different restaurants  as a matter of course and then cancel according to their needs/whims.

Finally the service at RHR is less oppressive than at Gavroche. I even managed to get the wine left on my table!