• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Budapest

I am going to Budapest on business for two weeks. Any suggestions for restaurants that serve fish or vegetarian dishes?

I know, I know.....but I keep Kosher and I heard that the Kosher restaurant in the Jewish quarter is not very good.

You should check Seder Olam for kosher places in Budapest. My search came up with 4 places - 2 of which I've been to.

Stay away from Hannah -- it's awful. I ate there in '97 and still cringe. Same trip we ate at the King's Hotel which was significantly better. Although it's all relative. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

You should check Seder Olam for kosher places in Budapest.  My search came up with 4 places - 2 of which I've been to.

Stay away from Hannah -- it's awful.  I ate there in '97 and still cringe.  Same trip we ate at the King's Hotel which was significantly better.  Although it's all relative. :laugh:

I spoke to a few of my colleagues about it and they said to eat strudel the whole time I am there. I told them that I will look like the Michelin Tire woman in my wedding dress in April if I do that. I guess I will have to eat at the King Hotel or wing it when I get there. :laugh:

There are indeed fish dishes, but non-Jewish Hungarian food uses a lot of lard.

You might try some uborkasalata (cucumber salad), though. Man do I love that stuff!

And yes, definitely retes (strudel). Meggyes retes (sour cherry strudel) is my favorite (makos retes = poppy strudel was my next-favorite). I used to go to a bakery in the Jewish Quarter, and it could very well have been kosher, for all I knew.

Michael aka "Pan"

There actually is a kosher bakery. I believe it's down the block from Hannah, but don't quote me on that.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

There are indeed fish dishes, but non-Jewish Hungarian food uses a lot of lard.

Thanks for telling me that. I am marrying a half-Hungarian but he hasn't been there since 1968. I was there in 1995, but only ate at the King Hotel and Hannah and was not impressed with either one.

I am going to bring some food with me. What a shame!

If you are staying in downtown Pest you can get kosher food at the Rothschild "Koser" market on Dob utca. Actually, all the Rothschild's supermarkets have a kosher section. A block away is Frohlich's kosher cukraszda (pastry shop.) Kosher salamis (ask for the goose "liba kolbasz", also beef - "marha) are on sale at the kosher butcher shop on dob utca next to the Orthodox shul on Kazinczy utca (where the Hannah is.) There is a pretty good fleyshedik kosher restaurant on Dohany utca next to the big synagogue.

For veggie food, near the danube in the third district is the Wabisabi restuarant. Haven't been, but a lot of veggies rave. Pick up a copy of the Time Out! city guide to Budapest. The editor was a veggie.

If you are staying in downtown Pest you can get kosher food at the Rothschild "Koser" market on Dob utca. Actually, all the Rothschild's supermarkets have a kosher section. A block away is Frohlich's kosher cukraszda (pastry shop.) Kosher salamis (ask for the goose "liba kolbasz", also beef - "marha) are on sale at the kosher butcher shop on dob utca next to the Orthodox shul on Kazinczy utca (where the Hannah is.) There is a pretty good fleyshedik kosher restaurant on Dohany utca next to the big synagogue.

For veggie food, near the danube in the third district is the Wabisabi restuarant. Haven't been, but a lot of veggies rave. Pick up a copy of the Time Out! city guide to Budapest. The editor was a veggie.

Thanks Zaelic! That is a big help. I am leaving on Sunday for two weeks.

BTW, when you get the Budapest, go immediately to a bookstore and buy a copy of the city atlas (assuming you'll be doing a lot of walking). It will be your saviour.

(I have an excellent sense of direction, and this had to be the most confusing city I've ever been in)

• 2 weeks later...

From Saveur Magazine Jan/Feb 2005

Hungarian Snack We Hunger For

When in Hungary, don't miss Langos (LAHN-gohsh), an appealingly chewy, salty, fried potato bread served from market stalls and street carts.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"