• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Times Digest

JFLinLA

I just read JSChyun's post about Boule and it reminded me that the LA Times Food section had profiled this new place recently.

My point is that somebody please (or a few somebodies) need to step up and do the Digest on eG for our wonderful food section in the weekly LA Times. I'd love to take it back on but really can't make the commitment now for the reasons I stopped doing it a while back. JSChyun stepped in and has been great. Food Zealot helped out a bit too.

Once you get the hang of it, it really doesn't take very long. I think it was about 30-60 minutes/week which included skimming the articles in the paper.

Plus, think of the glory!

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks, JFinLA. I've been neglectful on Wednesdays and must apologize. I've tried to find a sub, I swear. Hopefully someone will step up to the plate. Again, apologies to all.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

If anyone is interested in helping out with the digests, please pm me. thanks!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Kudos and welcome to RJWong for stepping up to the plate and taking on the weekly digest of the LA Times Food section. He even went back and provided the missing week's digests which I think is above and beyond the call.

Well done!

Kudos and welcome to RJWong for stepping up to the plate and taking on the weekly digest of the LA Times Food section.  He even went back and provided the missing week's digests which I think is above and beyond the call.

Well done!

Cheers to RJWong: above and beyond the call is right. That is mighty indeed.

Welcome, and thanks for saving the collective ass. :smile:

• 1 year later...

Okay everyone, in case you didn't catch it in his last LA Times Food Section Digest, RJ Wong is stepping down after a year and a half of loyal and dedicated service. First of all, thanks to RJ for keeping this going all this time. He did a great job.

Now it's time for someone else to step up and take over the pen . . . or the quill . . . or the keyboard. (Yes, I gave birth to this digest but I'm not ready to step back in yet.) Here's the specifics of what's entailed:

1. Yes it's a commitment but not a hard one.

2. No, you don't have to do it how anyone else has done it.

3. It might take you a little while the first few times you post the digest but, once you get the hang of it, you can have your weekly post up in less than 30 minutes.

4. If your are going to be out of town for a week or two, you can always recruit someone (like me or RJ) to take it on for a short period of time.

5. And the best part is, you become a bit of a celebrity. Okay, a minor one. What do I mean? Well, certainly here on eG, everyone will know who you are. In addition, as more and more people in the food scene pay attention to eG, those in Southern California will know who you are. RJ told me about an experience he had of going to check a newish, trendy restaurant (I forget which one) and they knew who he was and even gave him a tour of the kitchen.

So come on all you Southern Californians, and fans of the LA Times Food Section. Someone, please, come forward and let's keep this great tradition going.

Jody