• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

champagne delivery

yimay

i want to send a bottle of champagne along with two champagne flutes to a friend that just got married in dallas. i looked online, wine.com delivers champagne but no flutes. does anyone know of any other online store or local place in dallas, tx that i could place an order with?

thanks!

Is there some reason you're resistant to the idea of buying two pretty Champagne flutes you can actually see and handle first personally, and then picking out your own Champagne locally, taking all three to a UPS store or a Mailboxes, Etc. and having them package it up for you safely and shipping it yourself? Seems the best alternative to me.

Alternatively, although not in Dallas, I'd suggest my good friends (and former employers) at Moore Brothers Wine Company. They specialize in very small production high quality wines. The Thierry Triolet NV Brut Rose is spectacular and only $35 a bottle. A bargain for such delicious Champagne! There's also a 1996 Jose Michel et Fils Brut Vintage Club for $42. Great choices and definitely something your friends won't have seen before. They also carry Riedel stemware and could sell you two flutes. I'm certain they could have the package wrapped safely and shipped to your friends for you.

The toll free phone number is on the site. Tell them I sent you.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Last I was aware, Texas was still a felony state. This means, wine cannot be shipped to Texas from wineries or retailers outstide of Texas. If I'm wrong, then my recommendation is to use K&L Wines in Redwood City, California.

If I'm not wrong, then you are limited to retailers within Texas. If you plan on sending a bottle of Champagne that is carried many places, I'd say go with one of the larger wine retailers in Dallas (something you should be able to find out easily on the internet). The larger retailers will also have flutes.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Actually I happened to be looking for the same thing recently and Wine.com does have the Perrier Jouet gift set with two flutes.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

Yes, Texas is still backwards in prohibiting wine shipped into Texas. That said, the only real teeth in enforcement applies to wineries, who can have their license to sell their product in Texsa revoked if caught direct shipping or to the one in ten thousand chance that a random inspection of UPS or Fedex or whoever discloses the alcohol in which case it is confiscated and thats it.

I have yet to actually hear of any private party getting busted from having a bottle or three shipped to them. The only instance I know of at all was a large collector who had several cases shipped at once and one of them was broken and the wine leaked all over the UPS depot while a state inspector was there (there are only like 3 or 4 inspectors for the whole STATE).

Now, NONE of the shipping companies will KNOWINGLY ship alcohol, in my experience.

Segal's is the largest chain in the Dallas area, with a fine selection and am sure can arrange for delivery, Hell I'd do it FOR you if we were still in business...(it being legal to ship wine IN texas itself.

FYI the PJ 2 glass gift box is a handome presentation, but the retail price in Texas is in the range of $135 or so, before shipping or delivery charges.

If you need more help, let me know.

Cheers

RobinAustin (tx)

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

Is there some reason you're resistant to the idea of buying two pretty Champagne flutes you can actually see and handle first personally, and then picking out your own Champagne locally, taking all three to a UPS store or a Mailboxes, Etc. and having them package it up for you safely and shipping it yourself?  Seems the best alternative to me.

Alternatively, although not in Dallas, I'd suggest my good friends (and former employers) at Moore Brothers Wine Company.  They specialize in very small production high quality wines.  The Thierry Triolet NV Brut Rose is spectacular and only $35 a bottle.  A bargain for such delicious Champagne!  There's also a 1996 Jose Michel et Fils Brut Vintage Club for $42.  Great choices and definitely something your friends won't have seen before.  They also carry Riedel stemware and could sell you two flutes.  I'm certain they could have the package wrapped safely and shipped to your friends for you.

The toll free phone number is on the site.  Tell them I sent you.

i'm lazy?

actually i thought it was illegal to ship alcohol in texas which means i'd have to pack it myself (so the UPS folks won't know what it is), and i don't think i'd know how to pack champagne properly without it getting broken. i also thought it would cost more time and money if i do it myself and make the presentation all nice.

yeah, mainly i'm just lazy.

just to confuse things: shipping to Texas is neither legal or illegal right now.

the Fifth Circuit overturned Texas' shipping ban, but the Texas ABC is mostly waiting for the state legislature to write a new shipping law that complies with the court's decision. as such, shipping is functionally allowed to Texas -- but ONLY to localities that aren't dry. (the ABC maintains a list.) as to whether you can actually pull it off, that's a matter of the retailer and the shipping company. as RobInAustin notes, most shippers won't touch this.

more here: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/Wine.htm

more on shippers here: http://wi.shipcompliant.com/WhoShipsWhere.aspx#64#64

thanks for the responses. i couldn't find a contact for segal's online. i just ended up calling central market in dallas and they put together a basket with some veuve clicquot, flutes, chocolate truffles and other little snack-ish goodies and are going to deliver it for me all for under $150. i think it cost a little more than some sketchy things i found online, but i trust they will make a fine presentation and actually get it to them in one piece.

Central Market will do a very nice job for you. They are a bit pricy, but their quality is very good.

Cheers,

Rob

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.