• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bearfoot Bistro, Whistler, BC

Vancouver Lee

Just out of curiosity, how much do people think a blow out dinner with wine at West would cost? Although $600 a head is pricey it adds up fast if you are drinking Champagne and bottles of Tua Rita.

Bingo!

My only head scratching moment is why if you were spending that money you would do it at the Bearfoot rather than somewhere, I don't want to offend anyone and say somewhere good, but rather somewhere of more renown.

Yes, blow out dinners for wine people can get very pricey. I know, I've had a few, but if you're not into wine, then you're just spending money because you can. I wouldn't be surprised if the bill was a bit of a shock to them. :raz:

I found out a little more info, the trick in milking the cows (my innocent friends from overseas), was to continuously pour refills on the champagne without the guests asking.

Probably some vintage stuff I'm sure. They also added those caviar and what not.

The scary part was that there were at least half a dozen childen (not drinking). Perhaps they were serving blood orange juice?

Horror, horror..

PS For wine lovers, it's hard to justify ordering good wine from any fancy restaurant's list. I rather pay $50-100 corkage than to pay $1k wine you can get for $250.

If you are shocked by 16K for 25 people for NYE, how about a 5:00 sitting at Quattro for $140 apiece? It's truly outrageous the prices that get charged for NYE in Whistler.

Yeah, I agree, it's insane! In many ways, they deserve to be slaughtered, together with couples going out for Valentine's Dinner.

Pardon my silliness, I suppose it's supply and demand.

I'm shocked. I drank a 27 dollar bottle of wine on the weekend, and a 36 dollar bottle of wine tonight and I thought those bottles were expensive!  :laugh:

I hardly ever spend more than $30 at the liquor store, and most of the time, it's half that (except if it's Champagne, of course) but I routinely spend $80 or $100 (or more, if my dad's paying! mmmmm, Lynch-Bages) in a restaurant, and I can't quite figure out why that is!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Ling that is expensive, in my opinion but worthwile. If you don't mind me asking what were they? I have a friend who routinely drinks $50.00+ bottles every night. It's mostly because he thinks he's getting better wine because of the price. It doesn't mean it's the best wine to drink tonight though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I think what people pay for wine and what they percieve to be expensive is up to each individual. For someone who makes $25 000/year, purchasing a bottle of wine for $50 might be a big investment. For a couple that make $250 000/year, that same $50 bottle represents a drop in the bucket. I won't even get into the people who are financially very rich. I'm certainly not rich but I wouldn't think twice about spending $100+ on a bottle of wine that comes very highly recommended. But I do get more pleasure from discovering a delicious wine for under $20 :biggrin:

Derek

As part of any discussion to do with the amount one is willing to spend is the question where does it come on your list of priorities? For me it's after my wife and kids, my secondary family, my dog and cat, my house and golfing. Any money I have after I take care of that list, some of it can buy a nice bottle or two.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I know that there may be many other examples out there but back in 1991, I found one of my favorite wines, La Chapelle for $34 in the Lonsdale Quay wine shop (don't know if it's still there). Now the same wine is over $130!

Now I'm no way making 4 times what I made back then but once spoiled, it's hard to change sometimes.

Coop, it's sort of like when I got my first Cleveland wedge. :smile:

But on the other hand, it's a lot of fun trying to source out good buys in the $20 to $30 range or the rare sub-$20 gem.

I know that there may be many other examples out there but back in 1991, I found one of my favorite wines, La Chapelle for $34 in the Lonsdale Quay wine shop (don't know if it's still there). Now the same wine is over $130!

Now I'm no way making 4 times what I made back then but once spoiled, it's hard to change sometimes. 

Coop, it's sort of like when I got my first Cleveland wedge.  :smile:

But on the other hand, it's a lot of fun trying to source out good buys in the $20 to $30 range or the rare sub-$20 gem.

It is always fun to " discover" a $10 wine that is good - the downside is you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the prince

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Ummm...can't swing worth a damn, well, I can swing, but I can it isn't pretty, but I am a veteran golf tourney bartender/grill minder. I may even be able to get my hands on some sausages :biggrin:

**edited: apparently Dim Sum reduces your ability to spell :blink:

Edited by peppyre (log)

Ummm...can't swing worth a damn, well, I can swing, but I can't it isn't pretty, but I am a veteran golf tourney bartender/grill minder.  I may even be able to get my hands on some sausages :biggrin:

As a golfer, I'm a great ballerina. I drive a mean keg cart, though.

And I will be there for comic relief. I shoot about 100 on a good day !

Yeah, those Par 3 courses are a bitch eh Neil?? :laugh:

Keeping things on topic (sorta), should this tourney be in Whistler?

I'll be driving the golf cart with Viola ...

Viola: Why are you trying to jump the cart over the bunker?

Daddy-A: Good God woman! Coop's in need of a cleansing ale! Where are your priorities??

A.

Montrachet, you're a swinger too?

Early spring, the first annual E-gullet Drink and Drive celebrity invitational golf tournement is on.

We have a fourth?

I am in!!! I was so envious of all of you at the Les Dames des Escoffier outing last fall.

Now, what do drink between each hole... :wink:

Ling that is expensive, in my opinion but worthwile. If you don't mind me asking what were they? I have a friend who routinely drinks $50.00+ bottles every night. It's mostly because he thinks he's getting better wine because of the price. It doesn't mean it's the best wine to drink tonight though.

The 27 dollar bottle was the Cedar Creek Pinot Noir. I have only had a few bottles of pinot noir before this (the Mission Hill 2002 Reserve comes to mind) and I enjoyed this bottle much more than the others.

The 36 dollar bottle was my friend's pick (her favourite wine, actually), a Riesling from Germany that comes in a slender, dark green bottle. The name was very long so I don't remember it, but I'll ask her.