• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bearfoot Bistro, Whistler, BC

Vancouver Lee

The snow sucked, every muscle in my body aches, and my 5-year old refused to go back after one day in ski school, but the whole trip to Whistler was worth it after dining at Bearfoot Bistro on Saturday night. :laugh:

We arrived early for our reservation and asked to have a drink at the champagne bar - no problem, we were told, just let the hostess know when we were ready to be seated. So far, so good.

We sat down at the bar, and waited to be served. Admired the cool champagne flute holders sunken in the iced bar, and waited some more. Read a cocktail menu, and waited some more. Watched the bartenders chatting with the wait staff and mixing drinks, and kept waiting. It was honestly 15 minutes before a bartender made eye contact with us, and asked us what we would like to drink. Thank goodness the bar service did not set the tone for the rest of the evening....

My wife had a very interesting sparkling wine - a Blue Mountain Rose. Apparently this is a very limited bottling, but if you can find it, its' worth a try. We also enjoyed listening to the Oyster Guy (his name escapes me, but I noticed he's mentioned in another thread here today). It's true, he's a great storyteller and sure knows his oysters.

Once seated at our table, we were visited by a waiter pushing a martini-champagne-and-caviar trolley. He told us about their martini specials and was disappointed to see that I was still drinking the martini I ordered at the bar. My wife ordered a second glass of the Blue Mountain Rose, and he then told us about the caviar. They have several kinds available (I don't recall what they were, other than Beluga), and you can order them individually or in a sampler of all three.

At that point we realized how well-oiled this seperate-you-from-your-money machine was! I don't mean that in a bad way - at no point did we ever feel even remotely pressured. I'm being complimentary when I say that these guys do a wonderful job selling the high end items.

Our waiter arrived shortly after - a great young French-Canadian guy named Ben. Once I saw that there was a chef's tasting menu, I never bothered to read the full menu. We had heard so many good things about this restaurant that we decided to put ourselves in the chef's hands. Ben asked us if we had any strong dislikes or allergies, and went off to place our order.

After consutling with the chef and Ben, Kirk Shaw, the Wine Director, visited us next. He recommended a by-the-glass white to go with the first two courses. He poured us a 2003 Jackson-Triggs White Meritage. I didn't know that a white meritage even existed, let alone was grown by a winery as well known as Jackson-Triggs. It's a very fruity, flavourful wine, but went perfectly with the courses.

The first course was a dungeness crab and potato salad with a green pea puree. The flavour was very subtle, and thus the first bite was underwhelming, but it definitely grew on us. The green pea puree was surprisingly good - very light and silky yet flavourful in a way that whole peas are not.

Second course was black cod, a dungeness crab dumpling, mushrooms and soy beans in a bok choy broth. Simply put, it was magnificent. Like sex for your taste buds. :biggrin: Light and silky on the tongue with the flavour of each ingredient discernable but still part of the whole. Who knew cod was so good?

At that point, Kirk brought us the bottle of red wine that he recommended - a Tua Rita 2001 Giusti di Notri Rosso Toscana. We don't drink truly excellent wine very often, but every time we do we are reminded how much different it tastes from the everyday stuff we buy at the liquor store. I'm not a wine expert, so I'm afraid I can't really describe it in detail, but it was excellent.

Course number 3 was a mushroom and veal cheek risotto with black truffle shavings. I have never had (or even thought to put) meat in a risotto before, but it definately worked with this dish. Deep and rich with a pleasantly woody flavour.

Course number 4 was a slow-cooked lamb loin with butternut squash puree accompanied with a braised lamb and pasta terrine. The chef later told us she cooked the lamb loin at 275 degrees for 45 minutes to rare, and then she heats it up again to serve it. Simply mouth-watering. The terrine was an unexpected surprise, too.

While my wife was away from the table visiting the loo, Ben asked me how well I knew my wife. :huh: Barely stifling a laugh and the funny comment I wanted to make, I told him that I knew her quite well. He asked me what I thought she would like for dessert. Only 5 minutes earlier we had discussed how we hoped there would be something chocolate for desert, and I related that to Ben. He nodded his approval and went off to get dessert for us. It turns out that something non-chocolate (we never did find out what) was on the tasting menu for dessert that night, but Ben brought us each a plate with a variety of chocolate items. There was a mousse and a flourless cake, plus three of four other things I can't recall. The mousee was excellent, the rest were very good.

As we were finishing our bottle of wine, we looked up to find the chef standing at our table. We had a nice chat with her, asked some questions about how she prepared certain dishes, and thanked her profusely for the tremendous meal she had prepraed for us. It was a great touch, and added greatly to our enjoyment of the evening.

Before we left, Kirk offered to take us for a tour of the wine cellar. It's located directly below the dining room and accessed by a spiral staircase right in the middle of the tables. They have 16,000 bottles there - quite a collection.

With the exception of the bartenders at the start of the evening, the service thorughout the night was superb. I don't think an empty plate remained in front of me for more than 30 seconds, ever. The staff were friendly and cheerful without ever losing their professionalism, solicitious without beuing obsequious, and attentive in the extreme.

The room itself feels very cozy. The ceiling is low, which certainly helps, and despite being almost completely encircled with windows, it doesn't feel cold at all. The chairs (which were custom built for the restaurant) look rather unusual but are some of the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat it. The stemware is all Reidel crystal with the exception of the champagne flutes, which lack a base and sit in special 2-flute holders on each table.

What else can I say? Bearfoot Bistro deserves it's reputation as one of Whistler's best restaurants. It was one of the top three meals we've ever had.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Great to see that you had such an enjoyable dinner at Bearfoot. I've heard nothing but good things regarding their food and service. They also have an unbelievable wine cellar, especially hard to get California wines. What infuriates me about BB is their wine prices are so grossly marked up. I work in the fine dining industry and accept the fact that the wine needs to be at marked up accordingly but a bottle of wine that sells at most places for about $50-70 is going to be $125+ there!!! There is no arguing about the food though. By the way, a white meritage is usually Sauvignon blanc blended with semillion.

Derek

What infuriates me about BB is their wine prices are so grossly marked up.  I work in the fine dining industry and accept the fact that the wine needs to be at marked up accordingly but a bottle of wine that sells at most places for about $50-70 is going to be $125+  there!!!

I was under the impression that a 100% markup was pretty standard for a fine dining restaurant. Was I wrong?

By the way, a white meritage is usually Sauvignon blanc blended with semillion.

Interesting - this wine had a ton of very forward fruit, and I don't usually think of SB or semillion as being very strong. Ya learn something new everyday. :biggrin:

www.leecarney.com

Thanks for the review Lee.  Glad you're finding your way around the province!

A.

Thanks, Arne. We are certianly trying our best to discover as much about our new home as possible.

My big question is "What's up with all this snow"???? :wacko: I was given a solemn promise that snow in Vancouver was a once-a-year-then-it's-gone kind of thing. Where do I lodge a formal complaint? :biggrin:

I'm reminded of a photograph a friend sent me when he found out we were moving here. It was a picture of a patio chair on it's side and the caption "Winter Storm Damage in Vancouver". :laugh:

www.leecarney.com

What infuriates me about BB is their wine prices are so grossly marked up.  I work in the fine dining industry and accept the fact that the wine needs to be at marked up accordingly but a bottle of wine that sells at most places for about $50-70 is going to be $125+  there!!!

I was under the impression that a 100% markup was pretty standard for a fine dining restaurant. Was I wrong?

Interesting - this wine had a ton of very forward fruit, and I don't usually think of SB or semillion as being very strong. Ya learn something new everyday. :biggrin:

A 100% mark-up is fine, very good actually. Last time I was in there( about 2 years ago) they had a bottle of Burrowing Owl 98 merlot ($25 retail) on their list for $125. Unfortunately, there are numerous exapmples of this. By no way am I trying to take awy your enjoyment of your dining experience; I'm thrilled that you had such a great dinner. I just don't agree with their mark-ups

Derek

A 100% mark-up is fine, very good actually. Last time I was in there( about 2 years ago) they had a bottle of Burrowing Owl 98 merlot ($25 retail) on their list for $125. Unfortunately, there are numerous exapmples of this. By no way am I trying to take awy your enjoyment of your dining experience; I'm thrilled that you had such a great dinner. I just don't agree with their mark-ups

I understand - I didn't think you were trying to take away from my experience at all, I was just curious about wine markups, thats all. You said a $50-70 wine would sell for $125 there, which is approx 100% markup and seemed reasonable to me, that's all. I know you were speculating.....

My guess is that we probably overpaid for the wine, given how much like royalty we were treated. :biggrin:

www.leecarney.com

They usually mark it up 3x, so a hundred dollar bottle of wine is $300.00 or as they say 30 % liquor cost.

Sometimes though some places might down price higher price wines at a certain price point, although every place has different policies. One thing though is Bear Foot is all about price, peole in that place will buy a bottle of wine because it is three hundred.

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I understand - I didn't think you were trying to take away from my experience at all, I was just curious about wine markups, thats all. You said a $50-70 wine would sell for $125 there, which is approx 100% markup and seemed reasonable to me, that's all. I know you were speculating.....

My guess is that we probably overpaid for the wine, given how much like royalty we were treated. :biggrin:

Sorry, what I meant to say was restaurants that sell a bottle of wine for 50-70, BB will charge @$125. In that case a $25 bottle will sell at most fine dining rooms for 50-70 but BB will charge 125. They are definately not the only place to go way over the 100-150% markup though, especially in Whistler.

Now I feel like I've taken away from the purpose of your post and for that I am sorry :sad::sad::sad::sad:

Derek

One thing though is Bear Foot is all about price, peole in that place will by a bottle of wine because it is three hundred.

I saw that the last time I was there. Some dude with more money than taste orders an expensive wine that the sommelier takes great pains decanting. Mr Moneybags then loudly proclaims to his tablemates "it's both dry and sweet at the same time!". My forehead is still bruised from the subsequent pounding on my table.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Sorry, what I meant to say was restaurants that sell a bottle of wine for 50-70, BB will charge @$125. In that case a $25 bottle will sell at most fine dining rooms for 50-70 but BB will charge 125. They are definately not the only place to go way over the 100-150% markup though, especially in Whistler.

Now I feel like I've taken away from the purpose of your post and for that I am sorry :sad::sad::sad::sad:

I think some discussion of the markup Bearcreek Bistro charges for wine is very relevent to this thread, so no worries, Winegeek. (May I call you that? :biggrin: )

And hey, if the customers will pay a 300% markup, I'd charge it, too.

www.leecarney.com

My forehead is still bruised from the subsequent pounding on my table.

I thought that bruise was from passing out after eating fish testicles! :laugh:

A.

Nothing compared to the bruises on the poor guy who somehow got them off the fish. I hear they do that catch-and-release. :raz:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

And hey, if the customers will pay a 300% markup, I'd charge it, too.

If you dont you go out of business, it is a 30% cost, remember we have to pay for all those cost and rent. 20% cost, you do not make very much money.

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)

I don't want to start re quoting all that's already been said about the mark up at this place. I think a very important lesson is to be learned here. The owner probably feels that there is so much buzz around a bottle like the Burrowing Owl and other BC wines like the Larose or the Occulus that less wine savy customers will have heard of them and will be more willing to part with thier coin. Believe me fewer people know of the world class wines that Tua Rita produces. Their three cuvees are amongst the world's finest but their production so small only a true wine geek would be familiar with them.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Believe me fewer people know of the world class wines that Tua Rita produces. Their three cuvees are amongst the world's finest but their production so small only a true wine geek would be familiar with them.

... and now, the on-line friends of a wine geek. :biggrin:

A.

Some friends of ours were up at Bearfoot on NYE, 25 of them, and they're not even into wine..

$16k.

Horror.. horror..

I'm sorry but.....HOLY SHIT!! That's a lot of money! I hope they had some brilliant wines and champagnes for that.

Some friends of ours were up at Bearfoot on NYE, 25 of them, and they're not even into wine..

$16k.

Horror.. horror..

I'm sorry but.....HOLY SHIT!! That's a lot of money! I hope they had some brilliant wines and champagnes for that.

Ditto on the HOLY SHIT!! I damn near spit my latte all over the computer screen. :blink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

$16k.

Horror.. horror..

Just because it is listed does not mean it is in the cellar; remember smoke and mirrors.

$16k.

Horror.. horror..

Ditto on the HOLY SHIT!! I damn near spit my latte all over the computer screen. :blink:

:shock: GASP - that can't be right. It better have included an oil change and tune up.

$16k.

Horror.. horror..

:shock: GASP - that can't be right. It better have included an oil change and tune up.

And the Bloody Car! :shock:

I have a suspicion there was some Dom Pérignon involved, or some Cristal.

Or maybe both!

25 persons @ $16,000 = $640/person...-20% tip...$510/person...one bottle of Champagne (at restaurant prices) per person, and dinner. Is that what it works out to, or is my math hopeless? I mean if you look at it that way, it's not so crazy. I had more than one bottle of Taittinger on New Year's Eve.

:unsure:

Edited for my retarded math. I checked on a calculator :blush: and now it's down to just about $500/person, before tip.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies