• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tomillos

bakerboy

I was hoping that someone here could assist me with deciphiring an ingredient. I was attending a birthday party for the daughter of a dear mexican friend and we were discussing food (imagine that) and she said that the salsa had tomillos(not tomatillos) in it. I don't know what tomillos are, even tho she swears i use them at the restaurant all the time! "Cositas verdes" she said. little green things. She said they are not a spice. Something like that just drives me NUTS :hmmm: Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Barry

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

aaah. makes perfect sense. My friend said i use it in my ranch dressing all the time, and i do. can't believe "thyme" was such a stumble! Thanks so much.

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

Chocartist, is this another case where there are regional differences? In Central Mexico tomillo is thyme (Thymus vulgaris) not sweet marjoram (Origanum sp.)

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Whoops, Chocartist, somehow your reply seems to have been wiped out!

Rachel

The common translation for tomillo is definitely thyme. Perhaps some people refer to it as sweet marjoram because in Mexico it is often sold as part of a package of "hierbas de olor" (fragrant herbs) a mixture of thyme, laurel leaves and sweet marjoram.

Ah, that explains my confusion. I never buy these herbs in the market because I grow them in my garden. And when they need replacing the thyme is always labelled tomillo. Puzzle solved. Thanks so much,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan