• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North of Atlanta Eats

Schielke

Howdy everybody,

I have found myself in the Atlanta area this week on business and am staying up in Kennesaw. Last time I was here (short trip) I found only a vast sea of chain restaurants.

Is there much worthwhile in my neck of the woods? I am staying up on Chaistlain (spelling) and I-75

I plan on making at least one trip down into Atlanta proper for a nice meal, but am looking for decent suggestions close by. Fresh, innovative food is always good. I am a sucker for good sushi. Anything you got to throw at me I would love. Prices should stay reasonable (not much upwards of 15-20 and entree if that helps).

Thanks again!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Okay, well now that we've established the fact that you are staying pretty much in the back of beyond I'm going to have to hope that somebody else here has more concrete suggestions to make.

The only place I can suggest is located in Marietta, a small town that's been swallowed by Atlanta. It's back down I-75 a little bit, and there's a town square there that includes several restaurants. The only one I've been to is called Slovakia Restaurant. Family-run (recent immigrants), old school food and service, so not so much innovative as comfort food. But at least not a chain. There's also a Turkish place on the square called Efes that I've not been to.

There are others here that are much more familiar with that part of town.

If you want some in-town recommendations I can provided those.

Can you pee in the ocean?

My company headquarters is located on Marietta Square, so when I'm up there on business I've tried most of the restaraunts. Efes is good, and if you want sushi then a combo Thai/Japanese place (I know, I know) called Thaicoon is also decent.

I ate at an independent establishment in Marietta last week called Pacific & Vine ("California" cuisine) that was pretty good and in your price range. It's a little off the highway, but maybe 15 minutes total from Kennesaw. It's near the corner of Johnson's Ferry Road and Roswell Road. The dishes could use a little more spice, but it's one of the better meals up in this neck of the woods :)

Also, if you can get over by Highway 400 (try taking Roswell Road across), then a place called Atlantic Seafood Company has some pretty good sushi and seafood options. Otherwise, it's chains, chains, chains unless you head into town.

I was fearful of my ass-end location. 

What is traffic going to be like coming south on 75 down into the North-end of atlanta around 6:30 or 7?

Going INTO Atlanta is not that bad at all in the afternoon, just stay of 285 and you should be fine.

Otherwise, it's chains, chains, chains unless you head into town.

Yeah, the exit south of where I am at is like a chain restaurant neutron star. They are so dense about to collapse under their own portion mass and form a big oversalted black hole.

-Freakmaster

-Mario

If you want some in-town recommendations I can provided those.

Thoughts on Woodfire Grill and Float Away Cafe? Other things a bit northward that are slightly upscale, fresh, and/or interesting?

:smile:

ben

Edited by Schielke (log)

-Freakmaster

-Mario

Thoughts on Woodfire Grill and Float Away Cafe?  Other things a bit northward that are slightly upscale, fresh, and/or interesting?

Down off I 85, the Cheshire Bridge exit ... Woodfire: I loved every meal I have eaten there!

website for Woodfire Grill

North of the I-285 Perimeter Highway? great new places, one of which is grace 17.20:

review for Grace 17.20

website for Grace 17.20

Had a superb meal here last month!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Woodfire Grill's great---sort of California in execution, but lots of locally sourced stuff. Neighborhood commercial, a bit marginal due to the concentration of lingerie shops that feature, um, models, but the inside's very cosy due to the open wood-fired oven. There's a communal table in the front (smoke-free) bar that might come in handy dining single.

Floataway's also great. A bit difficult to find, as it's in the back of a warehouse area just north of the Emory/CDC corridor. Groovy interior, excellent food by the same couple that owns Bacchanalia (consistently one one the top five restaurants in Atlanta). Generally simple execution using locally sourced ingredients.

Some other intown favorites are Pura Vida (I ate there last night, in fact), a tapas restaurant in Poncey-Highland with a nice vibe, excellent food, and great mojitos. Solo eating at the bar fun. I recently tried another tapas place in Little Five Points called Miro's Garden that holds promise.

Iris is in East Atlanta (which is a neighborhood in Atlanta, not to the east by any means) and offers surprisingly sophisticated food in a boho neighborhood. Again, bar pleasant for solo dining.

Rathbun's is relatively new, located in an old factory/warehouse space in Inman Park. Food great, but crowds and service get a bit dicey late on weekends---go early to avoid the hell and enjoy the food.

Ricesticks is an upmarket Vietnamese place just outside the perimeter (aka I-285) that's got some very nice dishes. Not right where you are, but not all the way in town. But do note that "top end perimeter" (the part of I-285 between the 10 o' clock and 2 o' clock positions) is truly hellish during rush hour.

Joel is stylish upmarket trendo, located just off of I-75 inside the perimeter (in a swank office park/condo development), so convenient for you. Groovy bar, and three course prix fixe Monday through Friday (yes, including Friday)

If you want to come into town for sushi, you'll want to try Taka and Soto and possibly MF Sushi.

Traffic headed in to Atlanta in the evenings can be bad on Friday and Saturday, otherwise not too bad. There's been some construction on I-75 in the lst couple of months---I don't know if it's ongoing.

A option for Japanese is "sister" to a restaurant on our side of town called Sushi Yoko that we like.

The restaurant that's closer to you is called Umezono, and it's next door to a Japanese grocery called Tomato. I've not been, so can't vouch, but were I in the neighborhood I'd definitely check it out. Sushi should be decent, and the "appetizers" are about a bajillion different sorts of small dishes that should be very good.

I went to Joel tonight and had a very nice dinner.

I had the chef's three course dinner which was a great deal for $29. My first was a roasted chestunt and tortelini dish that had a great rich flavor. Second was a braised veal cheek dish, which was fantastic since I am a sucker for a good braise. Desert was a well made chocolate terrine with grand manier ice cream. Overall the food was excellent and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant. The service, however was quite spotty. When the servers were present, they were quite nice. Upon arrival, I waited a bit before being given a menu and then waited some time until being checked on agian to order. Fourtanetly during that time I met some nice women who were in from out of town. They had the same service issues that I did.

If Joel can tighten up their service issues they will be able to truly capitalize on their great cooking.

-Freakmaster

-Mario

I went to Joel tonight and had a very nice dinner.

I had the chef's three course dinner which was a great deal for $29. My first was a roasted chestunt and tortelini dish that had a great rich flavor.  Second was a braised veal cheek dish, which was fantastic since I am a sucker for a good braise.  Desert was a well made chocolate terrine with grand manier ice cream.  Overall the food was excellent and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant.  The service, however was quite spotty.  When the servers were present, they were quite nice.  Upon arrival, I waited a bit before being given a menu and then waited some time until being checked on agian to order.  Fourtanetly during that time I met some nice women who were in from out of town.  They had the same service issues that I did. 

If Joel can tighten up their service issues they will be able to truly capitalize on their great cooking.

Glad you enjoyed dinner. We've had similar service issues at Joel, so this wasn't just a one time problem.

Where ya headed tomorrow?

I think I might head down to Woodfire tonight, but grace 17.20 is sounding good too.  :smile:

Too bad that you can't be in both places at the same time! It is a puzzlement ... in any event you will be blessed with a meal which will bring you great pleasure ... not a bad thing to have such good choices .. enjoy and tell us where you wound up .. and what you ate, of course! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Had a great dinner at Woodfire Grill last night. That place just smells fantastic upon entry; the hardwood smoke gets your mouth watering.

Amuse: Poached Quince- very nice and light. a good start.

App: Assorted Crostini- I forget what was on them except for one with a very good goat cheese. I did manage to drop one on my lap though. yay!

Main: Half Roasted Chicken- This was reccommended to me by the server and it was a very good pick. It is definitely near the top of my "roast chicken list". The smokiness from the oven is a big part of this. The smoke flavor was light enough to enhance the rest of the dish without being overwhelming. They serve the dish with some really great pan roasted greens that I loved. My mother would be proud of me eating my veggies! :smile:

Dessert: Warm apple bengiet w/ caramel ice cream- a very nicely put together dish. the bengiet was a thick slice of apple inside the crisp fried bengiet shell. I did think the apple could have been cooked a little longer but it would be tough with the dough around it.

All together the dinner was very good and I had a really nice time. The service was excellent esp compared to Joel the night before. While the food may not be as near to Joel (woodfire is trying to do something totally different though), the entire experience was better.

I think I am going to play it inexpensive tonight. I might go to ricesticks but am not sure yet.

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario