• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joy Luck Chinese, West Orange

jo-mel

I was talking with some people about the closing of 'Ocean King' in Livingston, to make room for some new something or other. I was sorry that the restaurant just hadn't moved to a new location.

Someone mentioned that they saw the waiters and ?manager? at this Joy Luck Pavilion in WO, on Northfield Ave., across from the Arena. I looked it up on 'google' but there was just a page giving a map. No description of the place.

Ocean King was heavy on Shanghai foods, but a friend in Livingston received a menu in the mail for Joy Luck. It seems to have every region EXCEPT Shanghai.

So my question is ---- Does anyone know anything about Joy Luck Pavilion? How new is it? Any good? Anything outstanding? Or has it not been there long enough to settle down and establish itself?

Joy Luck has been open for a couple of years. There are 2 menus and 2 kitchens. Dim Sum on weekends is excellent. I have never seen the staff of the now closed Ocean King at the restaurant.

When you say 2 menus -- I assume one may be in Chinese, or for Chinese? Or a menu with specialties?

What about 2 kitchens? One just for DimSum?

Is it, in fact, a buffet style place?

It is not that far from me --- I should just go! LOL!

Sorry about not posting about this place sooner.

It is quite similar, in my opinion, to China Gourmet, but I've generally preferred the dim sum here. I haven't had other meals, but the menu, particularly the "for Chinese" menu looked quite good, authentic, and interesting - perhaps a bit more so than China Gourmet (which can also be quite good if one stays away from the more Americanized dishes, unless that's what one likes). So, worth a try in my opinion.

By the way, it is also patronized by Chinese customers.

Sorry about not posting about this place sooner.

It is quite similar, in my opinion, to China Gourmet, but I've generally preferred the dim sum here. I haven't had other meals, but the menu, particularly the "for Chinese" menu looked quite good, authentic, and interesting - perhaps a bit more so than China Gourmet (which can also be quite good if one stays away from the more Americanized dishes, unless that's what one likes). So, worth a try in my opinion.

By the way, it is also patronized by Chinese customers.

Thanks for that! I like China Gourmet, so I think I will like this place. I'll be going there soon and will give a report.

I also prefer it to China Gourmet and it is the best chinese restaurant in my opinion in the area where I live since Ocean King closed. My fave in nj is China 46 and I will often drive 30 minutes to eat there. I also like Noodle Chu which I prefer to Hunan Cottage or the Taipei Noodle House if I'm in that area. Last night I ate at Grand Szechwan on 24th and 9th in nyc. Obviously I enjoy chinese food. I believe that the 2 kitchens at Joy Luck are for the 2 menus at dinner. The chinese menu is translated into english. I assume but do not know that there are dim sum chefs brought in for the weekend. The selections are quite diverse, but I do not know what style predominates. The clientele is largely asian.

I believe it is largely Hong Kong style. Also, is it possible that someone just assumed there are 2 kitchens because there are 2 menus? Of course, it's not unusual for Chinese restaurants to have 2 menus, one which is designed more for Chinese customers. By the way, they also have bubble tea (it has balls of tapioca in it).

Finally got to Joy Luck Pavilion! Big place!!

I had lunch with a friend and had Shredded Beef with Pickled Cabbage Soup. It is a weakness of mine, and it was refreshing and good. We also ordered Grouper Cubes with Bean Thread in Casserole. What we actually received was Grouper with Bean Curd Skin, and it was soooo good that I forgot it didn't have bean thread in it. It does have lots of thin slices of ginger and it is really good. I was served in its casserole and placed on a sterno burner -- which kept the dish nice and hot.

It was almost exactly the same as the dish I've had at China Pavilion. (minus the sterno) I believe others in this thread have mentioned this.

The other dish we had was also exactly the same as at China Pavillion --- Sizzling Oysters with Black Pepper Sauce, a real favorite of mine. Very good.

We ordered off the Chinese menu --which is very extensive, and has a fried rice dish I've never seen before --- Raisin & Bacon Fried Rice! Lots of Black Pepper Sauce dishes, Salt Baked Dishes. Seems to be mostly Hong Kong/Cantonese.

There weren't many in the restaurant, so I had a chance to talk with 2 of the waiters who are from Fujian. I mentioned that I noticed the round tables were all set up with chopsticks and the square tables set with fork and spoon. I joked about it and they laughed! The waiter who took our order wrote it in English. I mentioned it, as I usually see it written in characters. He said it was so the customer can see exactly what they ordered, but when he was in a rush, he scribbled in Chinese.

Since it was quiet, we had a chance to talk with the ??owner/manager?? His name was Hank and was quite nice. He said they have vegetables, in season, that are not on the menu, such as chives, garlic sprouts, and asparagus root. Just ask for them, he said.

The restaurant is not far from me, and I'll go back. I do want to try their Dim Sum. But I am presently in love with China 46, so they will get my business for quite a while.

The take-out menu has a section written only in Chinese - no English. I'm going to see if I can tranlsate it.

• 8 months later...

Recently tried this restaurant and was quite pleasantly surprised. It's across from the Turtleback Zoo. For some reason, we thought it was one of those all you can eat places, but it wasn't.

Went for dim sum with the kids over New Year's weekend and had a great time. They offered a wide selection and it was all good. So, we checked out the menu. They actually have 2 menus, one that is more "authentic" and one that is more Americanized. Both were intriguing enough for us to try them for dinner.

We started with a seafood hot and sour soup that was unlike any hot and sour soup we've ever had, it wasn't that brown color, but clear instead. The seafood included lobster--and plenty of it.

The "dim sum" appetizer that we had next was 3 kinds of dumplings--har gow, shu mai and a leek dumpling.

Had a tough time on entrees, wished we were with another couple or two so we could sample more, but finally narrowed it down to shrimp and squid in an XO sauce and roast duck. It was such a change of pace from the other local Chinese restaurants!

• 3 weeks later...

After ruling out China 46 (a bit of a drive, and no reservations for 2 people - plus they said they did have a large party booked tonight and starting out late as it was - 8:30 - we didn't want to have a wait) we ate here tonight.

First the place is nice inside, mostly four tops with some larger rounds. Cool fish tanks in the entry - these'll come up later. It was pretty quiet for a Saturday night. There was a large asian group in the back, a round full of people and us. By the time our entry came we were the only ones there and they were switching the table settings over for dim sum in the morning.

After making sure we asked for the other menu we were seated and served fried wonton strips with mustard and duck sauce for dipping along with a pot of tea. Only silverware on the table so we eventually asked for chopsticks.

The "other menu" is fairly extensive with many dishes not offered on the main on and several that are duplicate (I can post more on this later if someone wants). We chose the pork and pickled cabbage soup along with the dim sum tasting appetizer off this menu and the peking duck off the main one.

The soup was a good standard soup, the broth a bit light for my tastes but reasonably seasoned with plenty of pork and vegetables in it to make it heartier. If you are wondering, pickled cabbage is the spicy crunchy vegetable that is also in sweet and sour soup. Here in a clear broth with pork, scallions and a few other veggies it really stands out.

The dim sum appetizer was a bit of a disappointment only because it was so hard to eat. It was slightly over steamed so the sticky wrappers were not only extra sticky but falling apart. The three we received were a shrimp dumpling in a pleated sticky wrapper, a green leafy vegetable in a sticky wrapper (I thought it was chard, my husband settled on spinach like) and the last were like a pork and mushroom shu mi. (three of each) Again, these would have been much better non-disintegrating but they were tasty with each having it own flavor.

The peking duck was above average with the only draw back, for me, being that the duck itself was not very warm. It was also nice that the server made up four panckes for us before setting the dish on the table. The skin was wonderfully crisped and the flavor was good. I would get it again but hopefully not on a slow night.

The total for the two of us was $50 with tip and about half of the duck left.

One thing we did before we left was ask for a copy of the "other" menu to go. As we were standing waiting for them to make a photo copy of it we read a review on the wall. Which lead us to take another look at the fish tanks. It seems that the fish in the tanks, grouper, crab, eel and lobster, are available for purchase to be made into your dinner. Have to think this would be fun one day. Maybe someone here can try it some time.

I would recommend it, not as ooh and ahh as what I have heard of China 46 but above middle of the road. And as they deliver to my neighborhood I most certainly will have it again.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

We went to Joy Luck for the first time on Friday night. My husband is a Chinese food lover and we usually go to Sesame in Montclair or to Chinatown when we have time. I suggested giving this place a try. We enjoyed our dinner but were not bowled over.

I was surprised that there were only a few tables occupied at 7:30PM on a Friday night. The service was friendly and efficient.

I had hot and sour soup which was okay. My husband had boneless spare ribs as an appetizer and these were very good.

My son had Chicken Lo Mein, no vegetables - he eats nothing else- and proclaimed it delicious.

We had a seafood dish with shrimp, scallops and vegetables that was very good and a beef and chicken in a birds nest which were both off the "other menu".

We enjoyed our dinner and will go back. I also was excited that they deliver.

Is this the place that used to be Spectators sports bar?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

The Russian restaurant has been closed for quite some time. There was some kind of violation and they lost their liquor license for a while. It was opened by people who didn't really have restaurant experience and they just couldn't make a go of it.

• 4 weeks later...

We tried Joy Luck Chinese Pavilion. We asked for the Chinese menu and started off with the bean curd and seafood soup. Found it to be bland and tasteless. We were still eating the soup and our main courses were served. The Shanghai noodles were dry and unexciting. The eggplant, tofu, and chicken dish was very good but not any better than what I get at Oriental Kitchen, a take out, in Livingston. When our main courses were served we were asked if we wanted rice. We were in and out of this restaurant in a half hour. They have a liquor license and we were told that there is a $5 corkage fee.

From what I have read the dim sum is a better choice here.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We tried Joy Luck Chinese Pavilion. We asked for the Chinese menu and started off with the bean curd and seafood soup. Found it to be bland and tasteless. We were still eating the soup and our main courses were served. The Shanghai noodles were dry and unexciting. The eggplant, tofu, and chicken dish was very good but not any better than what I get at Oriental Kitchen, a take out, in Livingston. When our main courses were served we were asked if we wanted rice. We were in and out of this restaurant in a half hour. They have a liquor license and we were told that there is a $5 corkage fee.

From what I have read the dim sum is a better choice here.

:unsure: Sorry, meant to post this when it happened.

Last time we had their food it was delivered and it was not as good as when we had dine in on a Saturday night. I thought the inconsistency might have been delivery vs. dine in but now, reading Rosie's post, I am just thinking they are simply inconsistent. I'd try them again on a Friday or a Saturday but am more likely to try Oriental Kitchen first.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

• 1 year later...

Joy Luck Chinese Pavilion in West Orange has permanently CLOSED, about 2 weeks ago, according to the staff at the Turtle Brook Inn . (The restaurant and TB Inn shared a building)

BTW, can this thread title be edited, to reflect the place is now closed? I didn't want to start a new thread.

thanks!

Joy Luck Chinese Pavilion in West Orange has permanently CLOSED, about 2 weeks ago, according to the staff at the Turtle Brook Inn . (The restaurant and TB Inn shared a building)

BTW, can this thread title be edited, to reflect the place is now closed?  I didn't want to start a new thread.

thanks!

That's a shame. I thought they did a great job with their authentic dishes, however, they rarely had any business. I had just started going there as well, as I had only heard about it recently. For whatever reason, no restaurant has been successful at that location.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 3 months later...

BTW, can this thread title be edited, to reflect the place is now closed?  I didn't want to start a new thread.

thanks!

That's a shame. I thought they did a great job with their authentic dishes, however, they rarely had any business. I had just started going there as well, as I had only heard about it recently. For whatever reason, no restaurant has been successful at that location.

a now-locked thread on MOL indicated this restaurant was just closed for renovations,. However, there were never any indications to that effect on the building facade (and I think the motel desk would have known they were renovating, vs closed) . Drove by the other day and there is now a large FOR LEASE sign -- " Medical/office/restaurant" covering the Joy Luck signage.

Guess they really are closed now.

Really sorry about this. There were several things on their menu that I really liked. But never, when I've been there, were there more than 3 or 4 tables filled. And it was a fairly large restaurant.