• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tescos sells GOOD BREAD

Complete bloody miracle that it is, I was strolling through Tescos this morning (Yes, sorry Suzi), and there's a La Brea stand by the baking department.

For those who don't know - La Brea Bakery was started by Nancy Silverton (sp?) in Los Angeles, specializing in hand made old fashion style breads. This quickly became known as the best bread in California. She apparently sold the name/recipes to a corporation, which is evidently how it found its way to Tescos (opposite you Fi).

Bought a sourdough stick, and it seems like the real thing. The selection this morning seemed limited, but I'll be checking back (yes, sorry Suzi). Their ciubatta and sourdough boule, in LA, were among my favourites.

[Edit - oops]

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Complete bloody miracle that it is, I was strolling through Tescos this morning (Yes, sorry Suzie), and there's a La Brea stand by the baking department.

For those who don't know - La Brea Bakery was started by Nancy Silverton (sp?) in Los Angeles, specializing in hand made old fashion style breads. This quickly became known as the best bread in California. She apparently sold the name/recipes to a corporation, which is evidently how it found its way to Tescos (opposite you Fi).

Bought a sourdough stick, and it seems like the real thing. The selection this morning seemed limited, but I'll be checking back (yes, sorry Suzie). Their ciubatta and sourdough boule, in LA, were among my favourites.

Maybe in that Tescos but I can honestly say that Tescos makes the worst bread of any supermarket I know. Take one bread recipe, shape into a dozen different shapes, call them all different names. Voila! I hope to God that this comes to my local Tescos!

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Typical that you would think I was writing about YOU! Of course I meant another Suzie entirely who also just happens to hate the facist oppressors that are supermarkets. Will coincidences never end?

Hallie - it's the large Tescos by Earl's Court - I think it's on the Talgarth Road.

Tescos is undoubtably the worst bread of any supermarket in the history of this world and many others - so imagine my surprise to find it selling La Brea?

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Not surprised that you folks over there are getting La Brea products...do you know IAWS Group? An Irish group who paid $68 million for La Brea. They already had a par-baked operation somewhere in Europe. Are the loaves showing up in other European countries as well? I'd be very interested in knowing the markets they are trying to enter!

And I'm waiting for them to come buy me out for the same! :laugh:

Article on Sale of La Brea Bakery

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

it's the large Tescos by Earl's Court - I think it's on the Talgarth Road.

Curses. This is my local Tesco (my office is across the road - or rather, across the six lanes of traffic jam on the A4, to be precise), the address is 100A West Cromwell Road, W14, and I can't believe Moby has given me this information the day after I bought three enormous Poilane sourdoughs, which will mean, since I live on my own, that I shan't need to buy any bread until approximately July.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

• 1 month later...

I gave in and bought the white sourdough La Brea from Tesco today. Well. This stuff is really, really good. I had five (count them!) slices for lunch with artichokes in oil and some cherry tomatoes. I'm throwing the rest away or I will be in some sort of wheat coma by nightfall.

And, whilst there, guess what. Tesco have added a Krispy Kreme donut stand to their bakery department. Dear god, what next?

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Heroin and skanky rent boys?

Fi - why did you have to mention the Krispy Kremes? My marriage is doomed to end in a blaze of maniacal sugar destruction. Like Sid and Nancy, but sweeter.

Flickr Food

I have no ethics anymore. The La Brea breadstand in Shameburies makes very, very good bread.

But Ottolenghi and Euphorium on Upper Street are good and you don't end up feeling like you've sold out if you shop there (if you're me)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum