• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dining Values in Western Canada

Daddy-A

It's difficult to imagine more bang for a small buck than the pho at Kim Phung. However I would rate the Seafood Laksa, (at $7.00) at the Cafe Delite a very close second - and certainly the best I have had on this side of the pond. They also do a brilliant Nasi Lemak with coffee - which, as old south-east Asia hands will tell you, is one of the finer hangover breakfasts.

The Sushi King is also a fine example of value for money. Consistently fresh and large portions of sushi at ridiculously low prices - even if this is somewhat artlessly prepared.

This place is hideously overrated. Pho broth should be clear, not brown.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

This place is hideously overrated.  Pho broth should be clear, not brown.

Is this going to be a weekly post until some poor fool (ie. me) takes the bait? Couple points; The best is pretty damn subjective, I'd agree with you that it's not "the best", but the sheer number of unassimilated asians eating there testify that it does something well, something the community that actually has eaten pho everyday finds attractive.

Wow! You've found an example of where e-gullet group think has bolstered a place above its' station? Half the places discussed around here suffer from that disease, read enough and you'll conclude that Go Fish! cures leprosy.

And the broth is "clear", it's just not water-white, which is what you seem to claim correctly made broth should be, something I've honestly never seen. Granted it is far darker than any other broth, but again the clientele, who appear to know what they're eating seem to dig it.

Honestly, when you take a look at he number of pho shops on Kingsway alone, anyone claiming to know the best is setting themselves up for critism. If you ate pho everday for a year, you'd still have places left to try. So lets conclude, it's not the best, but it's pretty damn good.

(edited to remedy spastic usage of the quote function)

Edited by Keith Talent (log)

Wow! You've found an example of where e-gullet group think has bolstered a place above its' station? Half the places discussed around here suffer from that disease, read enough and you'll conclude that Go Fish! cures leprosy.

Yup I'm at the point where I'm actually not Going to Fish! because I'll probably feel let down, unless of course I'm actually served The Perfect Fish & Chips. If possible, I'd like to wait out the hype, much like what Andrew should do prior to seeing Star Wars #3. Of course he won't.

(Is he in line already, is that why he isn't posting these days?) :raz:

The perfect fish and chips has a pint of Newcastle Brown Ale, or even better some obscure cask conditioned hand pulled naturally carbonated pint in the direct vacinity. End of discussion. No pint? Then it's not he best.

And Waiterblog is a Star Wars fan? Oh. My. Like this whole internet dork food thing isn't geeky enough, he needs top find ways to be more nerdy? I'm going to roll the twenty sided die of shame, and I'll bet it comes up with an increase to his freak level. I'll never be able to look at the guy again without imagining him in a wookie costume.

Had lunch at Kintaro with lunch mafia and it was good and cheap. Have not been in a long time - at it was the perfect thing for a cool-ish day. Not sure if I want a huge steaming bowl of noodles during the summer.

Had a glass of water spilled all over my crotch and I think that Mooshmouse took a picture and it is now posted on a fetish site.

And Waiterblog is a Star Wars fan? Oh. My. Like this whole internet dork food thing isn't geeky enough, he needs top find ways to be more nerdy? I'm going to roll the twenty sided die of shame, and I'll bet it comes up with an increase to his freak level. I'll never be able to look at the guy again without imagining him in a wookie costume.

I think I saw him dressed up as Legolas in the line up for Lord of the Rings. He probably did'nt recognize me because I went as a Tree Ent.

Never, and I mean ever do I want to hear the words Duffins or Machata again. We need to keep a few thing secret. That place is busy enough.

Thanks

Machaca. (I complied with your request - note the spelling.) Seriously though, their machaca sandwich is really delicious. Haven't tried much of the rest of their menu though.

For those of you unfamiliar with machaca, check out more details at:

Machaca

Here is a photo:

machaca.jpg

Cheers!

Keith, while I agree that no Dungeon Master worth his weight in Gelders never leaves his mother's house without a 20 sided die, I do protest at your chosen monikers of "nerd" and "geek".

I'm really quite down to Tatooine, as Greedo likes to say after too much Jawa Juice in the cantina. Just a regular guy.

I'd be more succinct in Klingon, but since we are among the cool kids, I shall continue to translate.

I haven't been posting very much because work is a madhouse what with the patio and all, plus come July another young Jedi will soon be upon us and we are preparing the Falcon for battle. Which reminds me, if anyone is remotely interested in being a guest blogger on waiterblog (reviews, commentary, etc.) please PM me as I'll be away from the restaurant world for a spell. We Fetts like to nest.

And by the way, Legolas was far too tall to be a proper elf and I'm far too short to be a wookie.

Written under a canvas tent on a wifi laptop in line for Revenge of the Sith...Man, these idiots know shit-all about food...bunch of nerds!

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

A good-value downtown spot is the newly-opened Saigon One Vietnamese deli on Hornby, 1/2 block north of Nelson (in that little stretch of good value lunch spots where Lunch Box Soup *used* to be. The quality of vietnamese sandwiches varies, but Saigon One is among the best I've had ($3.50 each, including tax). Have one of those and a basil-laden Salad Roll for $6 all-in. My new favourite.

Does anyone know if the old Buu Dien vietnamese sub shop, which used to be on Fraser near Kingsway, still exists in some form? I swear I have a memory of driving by it recently, but methinks it may have been a dream. That place was good, but the strip mall was leveled a couple years ago.

I also have a soft spot for the $7.95 lunch/$9.95 dinner New India buffet in the tower at 805 W. Broadway, near Oak.

• 2 weeks later...

The array of pastries for $2 each at Patisserie Bordeaux are a steal. I had the Religeuse yesterday for $2.75--a large cream puff filled with mocha pastry cream, topped with a smaller cream puff filled with chocolate pastry cream. It was a little too sweet with the icing, but it provided a much needed sugar hit in the late afternoon.

It was a little too sweet with the icing, but it provided a much needed sugar hit in the late afternoon.

That comes some time after your mid-afternoon sugar hit? :laugh:

Reminds me of an old Steve Martin routine:

I used to smoke marijuana. But I'll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening - or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, midevening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early midafternoon, or perhaps the late-midafternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning. . . But never at dusk.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd bump this one up after a really good lunch at Pho Thy (Victoria @ 39th)with the intrepid Lunch Mafia. Pho & Bahn Mi for everyone (6 ppl in total) came to $39!! And my son & I even came home with a whole bahn mi for a late night snack!

A.

Today me n' the girls (6 and 11 years old..) checked out Argo Cafe, near 2nd and Ontario. I remembered reading a post about getting a seriously good burger there. Teensy little place with arborite counters and the breakfast and lunch menu written on chalkboards on the wall. The place hasn't been updated since the early 70's.

I ordered a cheeseburger with fried onions, and a small green salad. The girls ordered a cheeseburger and fries. The burgers were very good - fresh buns, real cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion and an interesting slightly spicy mayo-based sauce. The fries were really good - shoestring and very crispy, but not overcooked. The meals come with a cup of soup (we had the vegetable soup - homemade and quite good).

The entire meal came to $11.50. The other menu items looked interesting: everything from Chinese dishes to spaghetti to grilled ahi tuna on a bed of greens. Only open for breakfast and lunch. Oh, and our server (and owner, I suspect) made balloon animals for the girls at the end of the meal. :biggrin:

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

• 4 weeks later...
went by ciao bella on denman and they advertise a 4 course fixed menu for $25 with live music,sounds like a real deal ,but, how's the food, anyone ever eaten there?

Yes, I went there last year mainly because it was in the Entertainment Book (and is again this year). No, I don't recommend it: it is mediocre at best and I was not impressed with the food, service, or decor.

IMHO you'd be much better off going to the Raincity Grill any evening between 5 and 6 to have their early bird menu (which I have had many, many times and highly recommend). :wub:

Hope that helps. :smile:

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".