• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dining Values in Western Canada

Daddy-A

Had a nice Commercial St lunch yesterday - Falconetti's sausages. Split a hot italian sausage and lamb sausage and they were very good. Grind and stuff their own. 4.25 to eat in, $2 a piece to take home and cook your own. Not bad for a 1/4 lb sausage.

I plan to buy them raw and cook them at home - cheap and good.

You know when no. 9 originally started, they had REALLY good BBQ duck on rice. We used to go there a lot (oh yes, the good old University days again) at midnite just for that.

I think about 4 years ago it just went to the pits. :( I have not dined there in such a long time.... I'd rather go Kim-Do than No. 9. At least I can get a soup, main, dessert (J-E-L-L-O!), and drinks all under $10. :)

same. haven't been there in a long time. although i'm starting to prefer no. 9 these days. the food isn't as cheap but it's open 24 hours. os it really depends what time i'm hungry at

• 2 weeks later...
Our favourite Hainan chicken dish:

Cafe D'Lite - Singporean, casual

2817 W Broadway, Vancouver BC, 604-733-8882

• closes at 6pm and does not open on Sundays

• best 'Hainan chicken rice' in town!  presentation beats Prata-Man and boneless chicken beats Mui's!

Checked out Cafe D'Lite on Saturday. We had the Hainan chicken rice and a (Hainan chicken) Laksa. The chicken rice was very good, and yes - well presented. I was underwhelmed with the Laksa however. The flavour was OK, and it was good and spicy, but the broth was too thin. I like a thicker, creamier broth that sticks to the noodles a bit (as well, no doubt, to my arteries).

I still have Kedah House and Mui's on my list to try. Must first rush back to the Curry House at Landsdowne Mall in Richmond to recalibrate by Laksa sensor with the gold standard.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

• 2 weeks later...

How is it possible you all missed Gyosa King!? A great little Japanese place on Robson, down near Cardero. Always a wait to get in, always full of "industry types" The food is excellent, the prices CHEAP! Also hear there is another Japanese restaurant on Denman between Robson and Georgia, always seems to have a line-up, prices are supposed to be great. Can't recall the name and haven't tried it bit plan too soon. Another great deal, staying with Asian food, is a Chinese place on the corner of Broadway and Heather. It used to be called Grand King but changed their name a couple of years ago to?... The Dim Sum lunch is a steal, and great quality. You can stuff two people, and I mean stuff! for about $25.00. Always full of Chinese people. I think the #6 at Steamrollers is a fabulous price and great value. A huge chicken thing, ask for extra hot sauce. One is big enough for 2 people but at $7.00 it's a great price even for one.

Our favourite Hainan chicken dish:

Cafe D'Lite - Singporean, casual

2817 W Broadway, Vancouver BC, 604-733-8882

• closes at 6pm and does not open on Sundays

• best 'Hainan chicken rice' in town!  presentation beats Prata-Man and boneless chicken beats Mui's!

Checked out Cafe D'Lite on Saturday. We had the Hainan chicken rice and a (Hainan chicken) Laksa. The chicken rice was very good, and yes - well presented. I was underwhelmed with the Laksa however. The flavour was OK, and it was good and spicy, but the broth was too thin. I like a thicker, creamier broth that sticks to the noodles a bit (as well, no doubt, to my arteries).

I still have Kedah House and Mui's on my list to try. Must first rush back to the Curry House at Landsdowne Mall in Richmond to recalibrate by Laksa sensor with the gold standard.

Went to Mui's Garden again last night. Forgot to mention they make one of the best sweet and sour pork in town. The coconut cream based curry beef is also first class.

Laksa wise, I prefer Kedah over Cafe D'Lite.

For those who like Indian food:

Indian Oven - Indian, casual $$

2006 West 4th, Vancouver BC, 604-730-5069

• what to order:

shahi paneer (home made cheese curry dish)

malai chicken (Malaysian style chicken curry)

butter chicken (Indian style chicken curry)

saag gosht lamb (Spinach lamb curry)

Not exactly best value but VERY YUMMY.

Edited by mangez (log)

Must first rush back to the Curry House at Landsdowne Mall in Richmond to recalibrate by Laksa sensor with the gold standard.

Correction to my previous post. My "gold standard" for Laksa is the Curry House at the Yaohan Centre in Richmond. (Luckily my car knows how to get there, though it's still figuring out how to park.) They also have a great chicken curry.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

the craziest bang for your buck I have ever come across was this weekend at Ikea before 11am, they have a breakfast special which includes eggs, bacon or sausage, crossiant and hasbrowns all for $1!!!!! My husband had 2 breakfasts and i had the one which i was actually full on. Goood deal i tell ya!

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Must first rush back to the Curry House at Landsdowne Mall in Richmond to recalibrate by Laksa sensor with the gold standard.

Correction to my previous post. My "gold standard" for Laksa is the Curry House at the Yaohan Centre in Richmond. (Luckily my car knows how to get there, though it's still figuring out how to park.) They also have a great chicken curry.

Little late for that correction. I wandered the food court at Landsdowne for fifteen minutes, completely confused as to where to get laksa. The fine proprietors at The Curry House were ready to call security because of the clearly deranged maniac insisting they make him laksa, and even if it's not on the menu, it's clearly available as an off menu special. I was dubious as to why an Indian restaurant would make laksa, but hey, I had it on good authority they did it.

I also accosted the staff at the Thai place next door, and the Vietnamese family that run the seafood stall. I'm not going back to Landsdowne for awhile, at least until I can grow a beard and have my hair dyed.

Thanks Jeffy.

the craziest bang for your buck I have ever come across was this weekend at Ikea before 11am, they have a breakfast special which includes eggs, bacon or sausage, crossiant and hasbrowns all for $1!!!!! My husband had 2 breakfasts and i had the one which i was actually full on. Goood deal i tell ya!

Did you know that they also have pasta for a dollar on Tuesdays or something?

The Ikea breakfast deal is crazy-cheap--I found out about it a few months ago, but I've never woken up early enough to make it for breakfast there!

• 1 month later...

Wanted to resurrect this thread and give the nod to Zanzibar, located at 1851 Commercial Drive between East 2nd and 3rd Avenues.

$6.65 gets you a fair-sized couscousiere filled with couscous, brussels sprouts, chick peas, zucchini, turnip, carrots and a fairly hefty chunk of braised lamb shank. All-day breakfast is $4.50: two eggs, sausage, potatoes and toast. Ling's favourite chicken bastela is $3 and change. The Drive's definition of cheap and cheerful.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks for reviving the thread...here's my input...all of these places are right near my ex workplace in South Burnaby (apologies now for codine induced spelling errors)...thought I'd give the burbs a quick plug...

La Charcuterie in Burnaby at Kingsway and Boundary

La Charcuterie has a large sign proclaiming "The Best Sandwiches in North America". I don't know if they are the best as I have not tried ALL the sandwiches in North America, but they may be the BIGGEST! This Danish Deli has lots of interesting Danish delicacies to peer at, but their sandwiches are the stuff of LEGEND. There is always a pretty big line up, and the sandwiches are around $5.00...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to eat on your own. Lots of good quality deli meat and cheese with a veggie or two thrown in wrapped up in brown paper...yum (not the paper...the sandwich). The "special" sandwiches are named after regular customers and local businesses ie. The Telus, The BC Ambulance Service (probably due to all the hardening arteries with all the meat...) etc.

The Fraser Park Restaurant on Byrne road south of Marine

Owner Anton is a German trained butcher and he and wife from the Phillipenes have some amazing food to offer. The Beef Dip and fries is a steal at $6.50 and comes with 3 halves of a sandwich (yes, I realize that 3 halves does not make mathematical sense...but its true) with yummy home made gravy and killer fries (with a mysterious spice on them...yummy, but mysterious). Awesome breakfast served all day and he makes his own sausages and carves and cures his own meat. And some of the specials are...interesting with a German/Phillipino twist on classic favorites.

Red Square- Just off Marine just past Boundary

Previously plugged by Daddy-A in his blog, this place has great piroshki, pelmeni, varenki, borscht and kielbassa that can be grabbed to go, or bought in bulk (or, if you are chatting with the owner, you can stand and snack...mmm...snacks). The cheese bread is killer and the rye bread is TO DIE FOR. The pelmeni are a staple in our freezer at home.

Of course, I work downtown now, so no more lunch time visits for me. I live near all of them, but sadly, they aren't usually open when I'm at home...say Daddy A...feel like grabbing some pelmeni for me next time you are down there??? :biggrin::biggrin::raz: just kidding :wink:

La Charcuterie in Burnaby at Kingsway and Boundary

La Charcuterie has a large sign proclaiming "The Best Sandwiches in North America".  I don't know if they are the best as I have not tried ALL the sandwiches in North America, but they may be the BIGGEST!  This Danish Deli has lots of interesting Danish delicacies to peer at, but their sandwiches are the stuff of LEGEND.  There is always a pretty big line up, and the sandwiches are around $5.00...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to eat on your own.  Lots of good quality deli meat and cheese with a veggie or two thrown in wrapped up in brown paper...yum (not the paper...the sandwich).  The "special" sandwiches are named after regular customers and local businesses  ie. The Telus, The BC Ambulance Service (probably due to all the hardening arteries with all the meat...) etc.

Sasskitty, is that what that place is called? I always referred to it as the "Norweigan Deli" (oops wrong on that front too). Regardless, I love these sandwiches and will vote accordingly in the Chef Koo Platinum Uber Palate Awards. Pro: they have a "Brian" sandwich :smile: Con: it is not the best :sad::raz: PS: very possible to eat one on your own :wink:(edited for spelling)

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Yes it is certainly quantity over quality at this place. BTW it has the dirtiest washroom in the Greater Vancouver area. I don't like the way they slice the meats so thick.

I think it was better about 5 years ago. don't think they have cleaned up in there since then. I'll go west about two miles and have a Bahn Mi at Ben Do any day.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Granted I haven't been for a while; I used to go when I worked down the road. It's crowded, especially when there's a line, but I've never noticed it to be especially dirty. Never been to the washroom there tho...

I like the salamis and cheeses they use, and they really don't skimp on either. I'll have to swing by to do a taste test vs Ben Do.

Yes it is certainly quantity over quality at this place. BTW it has the dirtiest washroom in the Greater Vancouver area. I don't like the way they slice the meats so thick.

Coop..NEVER use a washroom in a hole in the wall deli...you are taking your life into your hands...its like using a gas station washroom...or the one at the Crime Lab (consistently alarming...)

I will take your suggestions and check out the Bahn Mi at Ben Do.

I still like their sandwiches though...a matter of taste I suppose :biggrin: Of course, I only have them about once every year as they are so huge...probably something to do with the thickness of the meat???

I'd certainly put in my vote for Kedah House on Fraser. Delicious Malaysian cuisine. Highlights are the roti and chili peppercorn shrimp. Total damage for 2 with a good sized meal normally runs around $20-$25 - and well worth it!

Cheers!

Peppyre mentioned Habibis way up there somewhere. One of my co-workers told me it had been sold. Any truth to this? I will be very sad if they change it up (or rather, down) too much.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I will truly be stunned if Richard sold the restaurant. I haven't been in a few months but for the last 7 (8?) years it has been his baby (shh...don't tell his kids that). I guess I know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow.

Lest we forget the Cambie Hostel in Gastown. The $5.50 burger / brew special is hard to beat. I especially like the place. It is on the border of the civilized world and the absolute day to day world of reckless abandon. There I have met up with leggy Australian blondes and then been interupted by high as a kite Pigeon Park regulars hoping to be wing men. Cheap beer, good pub food and an adventure or story every bar seat down.

Peppyre mentioned Habibis way up there somewhere. One of my co-workers told me it had been sold. Any truth to this? I will be very sad if they change it up (or rather, down)  too much.

I will truly be stunned if Richard sold the restaurant.  I haven't been in a few months but for the last 7 (8?) years it has been his baby (shh...don't tell his kids that).  I guess I know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow.

As Mia Stainsby noted in the Queue section of today's Vancouver Sun,

Habibi's:  Original owner Richard Zeinoun is gone but Marco Stevens, who was an employee, took over the business.  The vegetarian Lebanese menu remains the same with the addition of a few more items, like spinach tabil (braised spinach with a firey [sic] tabil sauce).  Live music on Wednesday evenings.  A new patio just opened.

So there you have it.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

As Mia Stainsby noted in the Queue section of today's Vancouver Sun,
Habibi's:  Original owner Richard Zeinoun is gone but Marco Stevens, who was an employee, took over the business.  The vegetarian Lebanese menu remains the same with the addition of a few more items, like spinach tabil (braised spinach with a firey [sic] tabil sauce).  Live music on Wednesday evenings.  A new patio just opened.

So there you have it.

Habibi's is one of my favourite places. Will have to go check it out and see if/how it's changed. I've eaten there so many times I'd look forward to some new items on the menu. Just don't do away with the shinkleesh!

I'm surprised no one has talked about the Congee House on Broadway and Quebec. That place has the BEST congee in the city. Personal favorite is the fresh prawn congee, there's usually about 5 or so large prawns with some chinese mushrooms and a few toasted peanuts on top for about $7.... a great value! I also like their wonton noodles. The wonton have a lot of shrimp/prawns in them and are fairly large and the flavour is very good... the broth is nice and flavourful ... yum! i'm getting hungry just thinking about it! lol.. might have to make a trip out there this wknd :wink:

I have to put my 2 cents in about the best laksa in the lower mainland too... i have to say that there's a place in surrey on 108th called malaysian hut that has a really good, authentic singapore laksa . i go there with my s'porean friends and always have really good food there for not much money. also good bang for the buck!

I'm surprised no one has talked about the Congee House on Broadway and Quebec.  That place has the BEST congee in the city.  Personal favorite is the fresh prawn congee, there's usually about 5 or so large prawns with some chinese mushrooms and a few toasted peanuts on top for about $7.... a great value!  I also like their wonton noodles.  The wonton have a lot of shrimp/prawns in them and are fairly large and the flavour is very good... the broth is nice and flavourful ... yum!  i'm getting hungry just thinking about it! lol.. might have to make a trip out there this wknd  :wink:

I have to put my 2 cents in about the best laksa in the lower mainland too... i have to say that there's a place in surrey on 108th called malaysian hut that has a really good, authentic singapore laksa .  i go there with my s'porean friends and always have really good food there for not much money.  also good bang for the buck!

Two thumbs up from me on the Congee House as well. Their endless menu as well as a plethora of spicy salty crunchy things is just too addicting. :wub:

UBC Marketplace, underground is where a lot of students eat. Cheap cheap cheap. One particular place in the corner is Chinese food with three toppings of your choice on top of rice or noodles (no extra charge.)

ZenCcafe in Kits for eggs benedict, yummy and filling.

Or that place across Zen Cafe, Kingshead Pub.