• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dining Values in Western Canada

Daddy-A

Over the holidays I was speaking with a family friend who works at VGH. As my showroom is not far away fro VGH, we began comparing notes on our favorite places for lunch. His comment was that the stretch of Broadway between Cambie and Oak offered the best dining values in Vancouver. He claimed he could get a better return on a $5 investment than at other places offering more expensive lunches.

While I didn't agree with all his choices, it got me thinking: where is the best dining value in Western Canada? By dining value I mean "taste pay-off" per dollar spent. i.e. for $6 a bowl of pho at Kim Phung has a high "taste-payoff", and is IMO one of the best values in the city.

Where are the best places to invest your dining dollar?

A.

Great topic!

Ever tried Mediterranean Grill on Denman close to Davie? Small place, just a few seats inside and out. You can get very tasty Greek Lamb, rice, potato, and salad for about $6.00. The plates and servings we're so big last time we went that my wife and I just got one plate and split it. More than enough.

So, dinner for two, tax, tip, and a pop for $10.00 ..... but the date with my beautiful bride ..... priceless! :wub:

A Bowl of Buckwheat Noodle salad and Yam fries at the Greenroom on Main and King Edward Area, this area also has many restaurants of all ethnic origins, it is a very cool street Mall these days.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Haven't tried the Indian place ... City Square you say? Hmmm ... nice and close to the office and it's almost time for lunch!

Don't limit yourselves to the only the $5 lunch places. For example, the "Tastes" menu at Fiction offers up 3 selections for only $10!! (I'm sure Sean will correct me if this has changed).

Now that the Christmas Visa bills are starting to roll in, I'm looking for value! :raz:

A.

I am glad to see some non-Asian restuarants nominated. Asian restaurants seem to generally be able to deliver more bang for buck then other types of restaraunts. I think that the overall Vancouver restaurant market is so hyper competive - there is'nt alot out there that is out of wack in terms of value.

That being said - here are my nominees (both Asian restaurants!) for good value.

1) Mui Garden for their curried beef brisket. Creamy and slow cooked with alot of coconut cream. Chinese-Malaysian food.

2) Shanghai Ya Yun on Main. Their juicy pork buns (I have said elsewhere) are the best in the city. Classic steamed dumplings bursting with soup - you have to be careful how you eat them. They come with a gingered dark vinegar (almost balsamic like) to cut some of the richness - good good good. And cheap. I think $4 for 6 (or more)

By the way - good call on the Indian place in tinsletown Sashavan - soo good!

Now, my brother has told me that he has heard about a possible Indian Pizza out in Surrey or Coquitlam and that it is very good. Any truth to this?

Shanghai Ya Yun would be where on Main? I'm racking my brain trying to figure out exactly where this place is and why I haven't been there yet. Someone please help me correct this. You would think that I know my own neighborhood.

The address is as follows. I got the name wrong slightly :rolleyes: so that may be why you can't find it. Sorry!

SHANGHAI YAN YUN DIM SUM HOUSE 3755 Main Street; 604-873-8896. Open Thursday to Tuesday 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

I think that it is around Main and 23rd or so - accross the street from Front. Mui Garden's is also in your 'hood peppyre

I hope you like it if you try it.

Now, my brother has told me that he has heard about a possible Indian Pizza out in Surrey or Coquitlam and that it is very good.  Any truth to this?

What is Indian Pizza?

My brother said is it basically an Italian (well Canadian style) Pizza with Indian spices. Kind of spontaneous fusion - and I know that it sounds dubious, that's why I am asking around.

Now, my brother has told me that he has heard about a possible Indian Pizza out in Surrey or Coquitlam and that it is very good.  Any truth to this?

What is Indian Pizza?

My brother said is it basically an Italian (well Canadian style) Pizza with Indian spices. Kind of spontaneous fusion - and I know that it sounds dubious, that's why I am asking around.

Hmmm, very interesting. I'm eagerly awaiting more info, now, too. :biggrin:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I think I know what you're talking about. It's on Westwood and Lougheed/Barnett Hwy in the same complex as De Dutch Pannekoek House. Never been there though.

I think I know what you're talking about. It's on Westwood and Lougheed/Barnett Hwy in the same complex as De Dutch Pannekoek House. Never been there though.

Taryn

I think for the good of the team - as they would say in Hockey - take a puck to the body and go out there and try it. It sounds so crazy to me that it could be terribly delicous or just plain terrible.

Just kidding - though I would be interested in hearing if anyone has had it. Tell me it is terrible and kill my curiousity. I am the kind of man who as driven for an hour and half for good BBQ in the Bay Area (Everett and Jones #2 - on Telegraph - you ROCK).

First place that springs to mind is one of our recent favourites. There's a little hole-in-the-wall take-out place at 1439 Commercial Drive called Tandoori Palace. Dinner for two cost us $15: Lamb Curry with Basmati Rice Pilaf ($8.25) and Aaloo Gobi with a humungous piece of Naan ($6.50). Damn fine food. At most Indian restaurants, you're easily paying about $10-$14 just for the main dish alone and ordering rice or naan separately. Here, the only menu item over $10 is the Prawn Masala with Rice or Naan for $11.95.

Then there's the $4.95 waffles available only for weekend brunch at Pane from Heaven. Served with fresh fruit, some kind of heavenly sweet creamy stuff, and a drizzle of raspberry coulis. Also crepes with raspberry jam filling (may also come with fruit) for $3.95. Yum. And yum again.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I'd say the best cheap eats for me is Kintaro. The best Japanese ramen in town for $8. You can't beat that price for a downtown location right no Robson and Denman.

Although the downside is you always have to line up for at least 10 minutes before you can get a seat (and if you're waiting for a table for 4, try 30 minutes... lol)

But def. the best miso ramen around, mmmm, with extra wakame and a boiled egg. Then I order a bowl of rice (free!) and eat that with the soup. <oink oink> :p

Another good, non-Asian candidate is The Mouse and Bean on Hastings at Cambie. The delicious Mexican food there has been discussed on a couple of other threads. I haven't been disappointed by anything on the menu yet, and don't think I've ever spent more than $7. An added bonus is that the owners are a genuinely nice family.

The Indian place in the Tinseltown foodcourt comes to mind.  It's not Vij's,  but it's good and for $5.00 you can get a wonderful homemade meal, complete with handmade chutneys.

I, too, agree with this one. Perfect if you are ever in a rush to eat before a movie. I also tried the one at City Square once, but it didn't taste as good as the one at Tinseltown.

Although my husband disagrees, Rangoli's takeout, IMO, is fair value. Anyone agree?

I also add Hamburger Mary's to my list.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

The Indian place in the Tinseltown foodcourt comes to mind.  It's not Vij's,  but it's good and for $5.00 you can get a wonderful homemade meal, complete with handmade chutneys.

I, too, agree with this one. Perfect if you are ever in a rush to eat before a movie. I also tried the one at City Square once, but it didn't taste as good as the one at Tinseltown.

Although my husband disagrees, Rangoli's takeout, IMO, is fair value. Anyone agree?

I also add Hamburger Mary's to my list.

I agree Rangoli is fair value. I love the food, but feel that it's priced partially out of reputation. Fair enough ... Feenie's does the same, as do many others. Having said that I always enjoy the food and never regret the expense. (diplomatic enough?)

I went to the Indian place at City Square (Taste of India I think) for lunch today. Very tasty, but Tinseltown is better? May be true, but City Square is closer (right butter?) :cool:

Hamburger Mary's!!! Wow! There's a blast from my past! Maybe its time to revive Burger Club :laugh:

A.