• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Next Star

phifly04

Re. What happened to... Better go clickey-clickey on yer Tivo. They got Bourdain in their 4AM slot quite often. It's from his Cook's Tour book, and it's a lot of fun to see the resulting TV show for his book, seeing that while he enjoyed writing the book, he wasn't always too pleased with the TV crew that followed him around. Good fun.

• 1 month later...

Caught this blurb in today's Chicago Tribune:

Guy Fieri won the second "Next Food Network Star" competition, which earned him his own show. "Guy's Big Bite" debuts at 9 a.m. June 25 on the cable channel . . .

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

But, Carissa did show moments of promise toward the end... despite her "let's get crazy" speak, which did get on my nerves a little.

I think all the talk about her being sexy (right!) was what did her in for me... but she brought that on herself, wearing a bikini in her audition video... yuck!

I know - and if I'm not mistaken - she was wearing high heels in that bikini shot! :blink: Can anyone confirm that for me?

u.e.

You mean you don't cook in your bikini and high heels? How else do I explain the cookie sheet burn I have on my tummy (running in the house from laying out). Since I don't have cable, I don't think I will be asking my parents to TiVo Guy's new show. I've become supremely content and spoiled by PBS's people who actually are chefs first, "stars" second (or never at all).

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

But, Carissa did show moments of promise toward the end... despite her "let's get crazy" speak, which did get on my nerves a little.

I think all the talk about her being sexy (right!) was what did her in for me... but she brought that on herself, wearing a bikini in her audition video... yuck!

I know - and if I'm not mistaken - she was wearing high heels in that bikini shot! :blink: Can anyone confirm that for me?

u.e.

You mean you don't cook in your bikini and high heels? How else do I explain the cookie sheet burn I have on my tummy (running in the house from laying out). Since I don't have cable, I don't think I will be asking my parents to TiVo Guy's new show. I've become supremely content and spoiled by PBS's people who actually are chefs first, "stars" second (or never at all).

Shannon

... you forgot about the bit about being on the beach!! Unless you're taking advantage of the hot sand... I'd really be impressed to see some sea-side cookies being baked! :laugh:

Ahem...

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Actually, I'm serious, I used to have a burn mark on my tummy (since healed) after I ran in the house to get cookies out of the oven. I had lost track of time laying out in a vain attempt to get a tan when I heard the alarm go off inside the house. Hey, if Food Network wants to give this non-trained, bikini and stiletto-wearing 23 year old a show, I'd take it. Anything pays better than what I'm making now as editor of a community newspaper! Credibility be damned!

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

. . . Hey, if Food Network wants to give this non-trained, bikini and stiletto-wearing 23 year old a show, I'd take it . . .

And I'd definitely watch! :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Actually, I'm serious, I used to have a burn mark on my tummy (since healed) after I ran in the house to get cookies out of the oven. I had lost track of time laying out in a vain attempt to get a tan when I heard the alarm go off inside the house. Hey, if Food Network wants to give this non-trained, bikini and stiletto-wearing 23 year old a show, I'd take it. Anything pays better than what I'm making now as editor of a community newspaper! Credibility be damned!

Shannon

... yeah, if TFN gave me my own show and I'd have to wear a thong, I'd take it too... although I'm sure the show wouldn't last long. :hmmm:

Ronnie, it's okay, you don't have to follow-up with a compliment to this post! :wink:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Shannon

... yeah, if TFN gave me my own show and I'd have to wear a thong, I'd take it too... although I'm sure the show wouldn't last long. :hmmm:

Ronnie, it's okay, you don't have to follow-up with a compliment to this post! :wink:

I'd watch it!! :wink::wink:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

ok ulterior, let's see if we can do a quid pro quo

lechter style, to show opinions can run wild...

R. Ray is always at volume 30... proving that mouth-size may be directly proportional to output capacity.

yeah well, RayRay... the Evil Kenevil of shark jumping... not only did she 'jump the shark',

but she also jumped 20 clones of her former self. so beyond self parody, that she is in the 'Escape From the Planet of the Apes' Hasselin time curve realm of ego-abstraction. if her former self could see her future self, she would do a Charleton Heston 'damn you all to hell' foxtrot. she has become her own half buried statue of liberty...

y'all may not see a more obscure reference this week.

P. Dean sometimes scares me... when she zones out and then cackles one of those cackles that is slightly endearing, but slightly Wicked-Witch-meets-serial-killer... unsure.gif Major manic...

Paula Diddy... on the fast track to the Food Network ego Cusinart, if not there already. Yes, we get it Paula, if you could, you would give birth to a litter of Plugra butter-sticks fathered by something deep-fried. Come back to us. it is almost too late. by the way, your hubby looks terribly uncomfortable on camera. you might just want to let him get back to making his naughty and nice list. as i understand it, your two boys will have a show on FN soon. 3 Deen is more than enough Deen. actually it is too much Deen. i'm wishing your kinfolk would just stay by the crawdad hole and chill.

M. Batali comes off as a know-it-all sometimes... and well, enough with the orange clogs already... they were cute and novel, I'll admit, oh say, circa 2000 when he was scooting around the Amalfi with whathisiface, his Italian Poncho...

IMO, mario seems just to be very serious about food, and authenticity. i think mario is cool. he knows how to keep a low enough profile, while still dishing out great food and cooking tips. i too am glad he got that Rooney dude biopsied. mario does best without schtick. and don't knock the crocs. just don't.

A. Brown can do no wrong in my book. wub.gif But he is super hyper... part of his charm, in my opinion.

i definately disagree here. i know my opinion is very unpopular, but me no likee Alton.

almost to the point where it hurts to type his name. i do not know why i feel this way, but i do. maybe his approach to food strikes me as a bit cold. you should not need flowcharts and a wetsuit to make toast. to me A. Brown is what happens when you are toilet trained at gunpoint. if i was in grade school with him, 100% chance i would take his lunch money daily, after i knocked his books out of his hand. cruel. i know.

B. Flay... yeah, really though, joggin' to the fish market at 2 a.m.? That counts as "kicked up a notch."

flay. meh. knows his stuff, but any genuine knowledge he displays is often offset by his cockiness. i have seen a couple of his shows where his food looked like stone hard cash. as in money. transplant his skill in a more affable being, and you have a winner.

E. Lagasse... 'nough said.

emeril. i kind of feel bad for the guy. he seems nice enough solo, but put him in front of an audience and he is like a turn of the century french whore with a head full of pernod. he looks like he is about to have sex with whatever he is cooking on Live. terminal. however, his recipies are fail safe IME. no consolation. terminal.

T. Florence: see Batali comments sans clogs and scooter comment... and, as I noted a few posts above (or somewhere), he's too grabby. Always using his fingers to snatch up food to try before his guests or anyone else... dry.gif And yeah, I have a problem with his "Ultimate" show - really though, if I could afford truffles, don't think I hadn't thought of shaving them on my pizza too! angry.gif Not very practical cooking.

tyler. take it easy on those haus fraus fella. the keg party is three houses down on the left. i want your gig. jeebus, they pay you? there is no god.

J. O'Conner - see A. Brown and S. Moulton comments above... that's a fun guy! Upbeat... okay, way upbeat... kind of crazy...

ulterior? you bought into this guy? dude... they spit guys like jimbo and marc summers out of a factory in DeKalb. bobby rivers too. they should all be hosting used car themed game shows in the 6th circle. these dudes are a major reason FN is in the sorry assed shape it is in. terminate with extreme prejudice.

B. Rivers - Cheez-E

see above. you want directions to bobby's house? punch purgatory in your GPS, take a left.

Sandra Day, er, I mean Lee - I'm not even going to go there... I get flashbacks of Pleasantville... blink.gif Not my style....

too easy.

G. DeLaurentiis - how does she stay so tiny?

giada, find a thesarus. surely everything you taste can't be 'nutty'.

and every time you do the authentic italian pronunciation

as in 'spa gee tee', i want to drop to one knee and weep.

can you please dumb it down for me?

as in 'spa getty'. just for me. please.

S. Moulton:

class act.

I. Garten:

smiles like she knows a secret that is just naughty. like she buried a drifter in the herb garden. i hear she uses hundred dollar bills as oven mitts. i'll never have her lifestyle, but it is nothing i covet.

M. Chiarello: the Napa version of Garter in the Hamptons... who just, ohsaythrowsaparty for his 10 employees in which he cooks all day... what exactly do they do? And is he hiring?

mikey boy. if sideburns equaled masculinty, no one would ever question his sexuality again. i understand from good sources his lispy cadence is just 'a Turlock' thing. not that there is anything wrong w/ that. jeez, i hate sienfeld references. sorry.

tries to put blue cheese on everything. blue cheese with a gorgonzola sauce rolled in maytag crumbs. grey salt advocate. he seems nice enough, but vibes short fuse.

What happened to?

J. Torres

big time chocolate mogul...

does not need us.

J. Oliver

tongue accident. sidelined.

W.G. Puck

had a bit part in 'lord of the rings'

G. Gand

could not tell you.

i might be able to tell you

if i had a clue.

dont call me for the line-up.

A. Bourdain

living on reds, vitamin C and cocaine.

all a friend can say is ain't it a shame.

last seen revving up a kawasaki in front of a ramp.

Surreal Gourmet

died of fabulousness.

lyle lovette got his hair back.

mothers let their children play in the yard again.

*i kid.... i kid....* IT'S ONLY A JOKE.

sorry.

can't help myself.

if i offended anyone, rest easy. i'm going to burn in hell.

-m

glass houses, inc.

ETA...

sorry i screweed up the tags somewhere

Edited by akebono (log)

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gee, Akebono-san, I don't have any idea of I agree with you or not--I was just having a blast reading along.

But I reallly liked that part about Paula Diddy Dean and the Fry Daddy getting together to birth the Plugra butter-sticks. lolorz!

A

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

G. DeLaurentiis - how does she stay so tiny? 

See last week's issue of Time Magazine (or perhaps it's this week's?) -- amongst other articles in their special section on food, there's an article on Giada and Suzanne Goins, and how it is they manage to stay as thin as they do while being chefs.

The article's actually pretty good, and Giada's just self-deprecating enough in her humor to be even more likable. Usually the show turns me off to her -- I suspect that off-camera, she's got a good sense of humor.

I. Garten:

smiles like she knows a secret that is just naughty. like she buried a drifter in the herb garden. i hear she uses hundred dollar bills as oven mitts. i'll never have her lifestyle, but it is nothing i covet.

I don't know -- she always struck me as a cross between someone who's just medicated enough to hear the mixing bowls sing "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and the lady innkeeper from "In The Mouth of Madness" who's about to put an axe into her husband.

I suspect that on those episodes where "Jeffrey's coming home from work," there lies a darker side where Jeffrey is truly going to pay for being gone so long.

an open letter to guy.

guy, you did it. you're in the show. you are the show. i suppose as i type this, you are already filming your new show.

i'm just an observer, and an industry outsider, but i'm guessing your core audience will be the same.

i'm a thirty something guy, Guy. i'm just hoping FN does not chew you up and turn you into some uber

version of yourself. an uber-guy would be too much to handle. i'm just calling it like i see it guy. i can already picture the in your face, rock and roll hand gestures right into the camera.

you have in your hands the opportunity to do

something different and rare on the Food Network, that is produce a good show. TV is a medium that begs the viewer to

judge a book by its cover. from what i saw on Next Food Network Star, you seem to be the rebel with a paring knife. the wacky hair, 24/7/365 wearing shorts, the bowling shirts. you're a rock -n- roll guy, on a percy faith channel.

during the judging, the judges called you out on the smarmy personality. hopefully you got a grip on that. i also had a friend who met you at a FN meet and greet. she told me you were nice enough when the cameras were rolling, but as soon as they were off, you went into too hip for the room/jackass roll mode. bad, bad, bad. biting the hand with a 9am time slot is not good.

i'll give your show a chance. i hope you give us, the viewers a chance too.

give us a decent show, with decent food, and you have 1/2 a chance.

i sincerely hope your show is not about the hair.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.