• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Next Star

phifly04

Of a whopping 6 episode contract. In a pretty tension-free but cheese-filled finale.

I was looking at the FN president, Tushman and Marketing Lips and understanding a little better how the FN thinks that Alton eating asphalt (really, they showed a preview of his new show and that was either the title or the tagline) and Bobby Flay playing cowboy will work.

Alton is on the road as we speak...he is filming the show through the middle of May.....I know its been a project/dream of his for some time and I am glad he is getting to do it..

Now onto NFNS..I think Guy was the best....he had charisma and good camera presence...but dont get me wrong I like reggie too.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I googled "Comfort Cafe Silver Lake" where Reggie Southerland supposedly works. The only online result that I found was for a cafe connected to a body builder's gym... or right next door?

See here.

Can anyone confirm that this is the same and right cafe where Southerland works?

Thanks!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Interesting.  I wonder if they'll be in a better time slot for the next run of episodes.  Last I checked, the show was on once week, shown very early on Sunday mornings.  In fact, being in that slot kind of made me feel like the folks at FN weren't too fond of the Heary Boys.  With 26 more episodes on order, that probably isn't the case.

=R=

Apparently not... but, whereas the Hearty Boys seem to have a "hook" - I would have to agree with past posts that neither of this year's finalists have a particularly novel angle... not the least of which can be punned by Guy's "Off the Hook." Will be really interested to see how the next FN star fares... I actually didn't vote this year because I just couldn't decide on one... both have their strengths and weaknesses. I think from purely a personality point of view, I think that Reggie would be more amusing to watch, but Guy might actually teach me something... (and truth be told, I totally forgot about the deadline).

u.e.

Yeah, even though I've been watching, I didn't vote either. I just wasn't revved up enough about either contestant to bother.

=R=

I voted... three times... I just couldn't face myself if I didn't vote and Reggie won! His personality really grated on my nerves. Although, I do think they should have shown the family portraits from the beginning... it made me like both better, seeing them at home with their families and work, etc. I think it helps to know that they are real people, kind of like the Chefography's portrayed the stars... it really made me like all the Food Network stars better.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I voted for Reggie, but I would have been happy if either he or Guy won. I'm looking forward to seeing what he'll come up with.

Actually, I'm kinda disappointed I won't get to see Carissa Seward's "Simply French" program. I think I would have really enjoyed it.

[

Alton is on the road as we speak...he is filming the show through the middle of May.....I know its been a project/dream of his for some time and I am glad he is getting to do it..

Then I can count on it being much, much better than the FN promo monkeys let on. Thanks!

In addition to Alton on the road (I wonder if he plans to cross paths with Al Roker :laugh: ), Flay in-chaps-on-saddle - I saw a snippet advertising a reincarnation of Tyler Florence... didn't quite catch the gist of the new program though...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

In addition to Alton on the road (I wonder if he plans to cross paths with Al Roker  :laugh: ), Flay in-chaps-on-saddle - I saw a snippet advertising a reincarnation of Tyler Florence... didn't quite catch the gist of the new program though...

u.e.

I don't think it's a new program... I think it's just more of Tyler's Ultimate... if it's the one where he's licking the meatloaf (which I found particularly amusing!)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

In addition to Alton on the road (I wonder if he plans to cross paths with Al Roker  :laugh: ), Flay in-chaps-on-saddle - I saw a snippet advertising a reincarnation of Tyler Florence... didn't quite catch the gist of the new program though...

u.e.

I don't think it's a new program... I think it's just more of Tyler's Ultimate... if it's the one where he's licking the meatloaf (which I found particularly amusing!)

Not as disturbing as when he started spanking it... :hmmm: So, more of the Ultimate? Not a fan. Florence is too "grabby" for me - notice, he's always using his fingers to eat the food before his guests do! Especially on that 911 show, or whatever it's called... Sheesh!

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I agree with jgm on the 'Simply French' idea Carissa had. That sounds like a show I'd be interested in. TVFN has enought Italian, enough kicked-up, off the hook personalities. I think a real woman with a concept that's not already done to death would have been really nice. Just my 2 cents.

Stop Family Violence

I agree with jgm on the 'Simply French' idea Carissa had. That sounds like a show I'd be interested in. TVFN has enought Italian, enough kicked-up, off the hook personalities. I think a real woman with a concept that's not already done to death would have been really nice. Just my 2 cents.

I agree about the concept and at times Carissa was likeable (had screen presence), but I'm not sure she was the right person for the show, even if it was her idea.

=R=

edit for clarity

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Actually, I would have to say that Carissa was one of the contestants that I actively disliked. She and Nathan both just came off as way-too-confident-for-their-own-good... Nathan much moreso... But, Carissa did show moments of promise toward the end... despite her "let's get crazy" speak, which did get on my nerves a little.

I'm happy with the result, I guess. I agree with whoever posted above about wishing they had shown a little more of the contestants' family background/interaction early on... I think it would have made me like a lot of them better - except maybe Nathan, whom I thought was just downright offensive.

I particularly loved Andy, but can see why he was axed...

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

But, Carissa did show moments of promise toward the end... despite her "let's get crazy" speak, which did get on my nerves a little.

I think all the talk about her being sexy (right!) was what did her in for me... but she brought that on herself, wearing a bikini in her audition video... yuck!

But, Carissa did show moments of promise toward the end... despite her "let's get crazy" speak, which did get on my nerves a little.

I think all the talk about her being sexy (right!) was what did her in for me... but she brought that on herself, wearing a bikini in her audition video... yuck!

I know - and if I'm not mistaken - she was wearing high heels in that bikini shot! :blink: Can anyone confirm that for me?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Actually, I would have to say that Carissa was one of the contestants that I actively disliked.  She and Nathan both just came off as way-too-confident-for-their-own-good... Nathan much moreso... But, Carissa did show moments of promise toward the end... despite her "let's get crazy" speak, which did get on my nerves a little.

I'm happy with the result, I guess.  I agree with whoever posted above about wishing they had shown a little more of the contestants' family background/interaction early on... I think it would have made me like a lot of them better - except maybe Nathan, whom I thought was just downright offensive. 

I particularly loved Andy, but can see why he was axed...

I agree with this entire post.

I liked Andy the best too - low key personality with some cooking skills. But I think he was too low key for the judges taste. I guess they're all about the "entertainment" factor. Does every chef on FN have to be hyper, manic and "kicked up a notch?"

Does every chef on FN have to be hyper, manic and "kicked up a notch?"

Hmmm.... good point... they are all kind of wacky, crazed and/or LOUD aren't they... I had never really stopped to notice. So, now, in a fit of procrastination, I'm noticing:

Those with too much energy or noise:

R. Ray is always at volume 30... proving that mouth-size may be directly proportional to output capacity. :laugh:

P. Dean sometimes scares me... when she zones out and then cackles one of those cackles that is slightly endearing, but slightly Wicked-Witch-meets-serial-killer... :unsure: Major manic...

M. Batali comes off as a know-it-all sometimes... and well, enough with the orange clogs already... they were cute and novel, I'll admit, oh say, circa 2000 when he was scooting around the Amalfi with whathisiface, his Italian Poncho...

A. Brown can do no wrong in my book. :wub: But he is super hyper... part of his charm, in my opinion.

B. Flay... yeah, really though, joggin' to the fish market at 2 a.m.? That counts as "kicked up a notch."

E. Lagasse... 'nough said.

T. Florence: see Batali comments sans clogs and scooter comment... and, as I noted a few posts above (or somewhere), he's too grabby. Always using his fingers to snatch up food to try before his guests or anyone else... :hmmm: And yeah, I have a problem with his "Ultimate" show - really though, if I could afford truffles, don't think I hadn't thought of shaving them on my pizza too! :angry: Not very practical cooking.

J. O'Conner - see A. Brown and S. Moulton comments above... that's a fun guy! Upbeat... okay, way upbeat... kind of crazy...

B. Rivers - Cheez-E

But, thankfully, a few FN stars keep things mellow:

Sandra Day, er, I mean Lee - I'm not even going to go there... I get flashbacks of Pleasantville... :blink: Not my style....

G. DeLaurentiis - how does she stay so tiny?

S. Moulton: see A. Brown comments above. She and DeLaurentiis manage to keep things mellow... but pleasantly so.

I. Gartner: but really though, if I had the time and money to stroll through my perfectly manicured herb garden to take a snippet or two for my shabby-chic French dish, or nattily-dressed salad... or afternoon jaunts to the beach and the local florist who are at your beck-and-call, I think I'd be mellow too.

M. Chiarello: the Napa version of Garter in the Hamptons... who just, ohsaythrowsaparty for his 10 employees in which he cooks all day... what exactly do they do? And is he hiring?

D. Lieberman - tie your hands and you'll be alright kiddo!

What happened to?

J. Torres

J. Oliver

W.G. Puck

G. Gand

A. Bourdain

Surreal Gourmet

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

What happened to?

G. Gand

I was wondering about her just today... she has no upcoming shows on Food Network, and most of the rest are archived.

What happened to?

G. Gand

I was wondering about her just today... she has no upcoming shows on Food Network, and most of the rest are archived.

She's busy being a mom to recently-born twins and being a real chef at a real restaurant.

=R=

What happened to?

G. Gand

She's busy being a mom to recently-born twins

Good point on the twins, Ron...
...and being a real chef at a real restaurant.

=R=

As opposed to Batali (Nearly a dozen restos), Flay (Need almost two hands to count between NYC and LVNV), Lagasse (NOLA... LVNV...), P. Dean (The Bag Lady... no comment... ) D. Lieberman (Who does he "personal chef" for? Do they need a personal sous chef? :raz: )?

Oh wait, ronnie, you did say real chef -nevermind ... good point... :wink:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

What happened to?

G. Gand

She's busy being a mom to recently-born twins

Good point on the twins, Ron...
...and being a real chef at a real restaurant.

=R=

As opposed to Batali (Nearly a dozen restos), Flay (Need almost two hands to count between NYC and LVNV), Lagasse (NOLA... LVNV...), P. Dean (The Bag Lady... no comment... ) D. Lieberman (Who does he "personal chef" for? Do they need a personal sous chef? :raz: )?

Oh wait, ronnie, you did say real chef -nevermind ... good point... :wink:

u.e.

snotty, snotty :wink: ... I just meant where is she on FN anymore? I knew she was at Tru (didn't know about the twins,) but is she not going to be on FN?

... I just meant where is she on FN anymore?
So did I.
I knew she was at Tru (didn't know about the twins,) but is she not going to be on FN?

Apparently twins + TRU = no FN....

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Contestants don't have to be hyper, but they do have to display a pretty good amount of energy and presence, which Andy didn't do well. The unfortunate thing about it, is that those things are learned skills, and he could be coached successfully if he wanted to do it bad enough. I didn't see direct evidence of it, but I suspect he was just really uncomfortable (and maybe just flat scared to death) in front of the camera. That, too, can be overcome.

What we fail to realize about this program, about Top Chef, and the various other cooking programs on the various commercial networks, is that the primary purpose of these shows is not about cooking; it's to provide a vehicle for selling advertising. To do that, the show needs to establish a desired demographic, so that the network can pitch the concept to specific advertisers. (Think about the difference between, say, a commercial for Celebrex and one for Pampers. Two different audiences.) That decision governs all kinds of decisions about details that come later; one hopes it doesn't heavily influence content, such as making lots of dishes with tuna if one of your advertisers is the Tuna Consortium (hypothetical name). The actual cooking, and decisions about methods, ingredients, etc., is geared to the all-important demographic. A show geared toward young mothers is not going to use truffles.

Obviously, to sell the show, the host must have credibility, and also must appeal to the intended audience. Andy had the credibility, and he had quite a bit of appeal in some ways. But he displayed a really low energy level at times, and that had to be a concern of the judges --especially with somebody like Guy around.

I didn't mean to imply that every chef on FTV is of the made-for-tv variety. Obviously, that's not the case. :wink:

I always enjoyed watching Gale on FTV, going back to her stint on Baker's Dozen which aired in the mid 90's.

=R=

Gale Gand and RIck Tramonto will be opening two restauants - a steakhouse and an italian place - and a pastry shop at the Westin being built on Milwaukee in Wheeling. I imagine that is taking up some of her time as well.

I did hear a rumor that Gand and Tramonto were going to be on Iron Chef America, though.