• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Next Star

phifly04

And if I were a violent person and owned a rifle... Nathan would be in my crosshairs!    :blink:  Seriously, could he be more cocky?!?

You obviously haven't been watching Top Chef. Stephen takes the Cocky Prize of the Millenium ®. Nathan has actually shown some humility on camera once or twice when things haven't quite gone well, particularly in this past week's episode.

You're right... I haven't watched it, and I didn't see this week's episode of FN Star, but I just got Tivo yesterday, so watch out!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

It just goes to show the serious disconnect between what the "experts" at Food Network believe the audience wants and what the audience actually wants.

I noticed they fussed Andy once because his tone was "too instructional." Go for it Andy! That's what I want in a host. No offense, but some of the contestants seemed like they were just showing off. Maybe that spells "personality" to some people, but not everybody. Andy was more laid back, and his food looked like it would be quite tasty.

I thought the Hispanic lady was pretty mad at the blond who was negative about what she was doing in the team cooking segment. To get booted off before that lady must have been hard to swallow. Did I read that wrong?

Edited by My Confusing Horoscope (log)

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

I am not too sure about some of the advice they are being given, like personalizing the show, showing who you are, etc.  It looks forced when out of the blue Nathan tells you he'll be cooking this dish because his niece loves it. I don't know his niece and I didn't need to hear that.  It just seemed forced. The guy already has a lot of personality shining through.

Good point. Yet, the judges saw his mention of the niece as a positive; praising him for making it and criticizing him for not mentioning her more often. Meanwhile, out here in tv land, we don't give a flying f*ck about his niece in the least. It just goes to show the serious disconnect between what the "experts" at Food Network believe the audience wants and what the audience actually wants. Meaningless mentions of unknown family members falls under the category of pandering, something that FTV seems to do quite well.

Frankly, I don't see the value in any of these contestants' unique attributes. Even Guy, who seems plenty likable, leaves me at a loss. What exactly does he bring to the table that we cannot find elsewhere? His manic energy? His spikey, bleached white hair? Ok, perhaps his restaurant experience could be a useful point of separation. But wait, the judges more or less criticized him for being too "pro" in his most recent demo. Go figure. :wacko:

=R=

Ron, this is almost word for word what I said to my husband after watching the last episode. What the judges tell them to do is consistently the opposite of what I would like to have in a host of a food show. They tell them not to use specialized language - please DO, and then explain it so that I actually LEARN something. The judges said not to refer to the 'set', that viewers want to believe that the host is in their own home - no, no I don't care where the hell they are - I don't have some built up fantasy about some food tv host!!! I would really like to watch a PRO - someone who is an expert. If I took a class in tax preparation, I would hope that the instructor was a professional tax accountant, not just some guy who was good at balancing his checkbook and had lots of personality. Why does the Food Network not get this????

. . . Why does the Food Network not get this????

Sadly, my guess is that they do get it. It's just that we serious food people are not their target audience. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I do remember reading news stories recently about how much their viewership has expanded. They're being successful with what they're doing. I don't know if that makes the dilution of FTV any easier to bear but it at show that there's some logic behind it.

It'll be interesting to see how FTV eventually ends up marketing the winner of this contest.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

The thing that bothers me is that they are supposed do a complete demo in a very short amount of time. None of the FN "Stars" would be forced to race through their demos like that. Are we really supposed to believe every show on FN is shot in one take in real time? Plus, FN hosts have their shows prepped and blocked for them. They're not making their own "swapouts." I would think most of the contestant's logistical errors would be prevented by the FN staff regardless of who won.

An another point, was anyone bothered by Evette talking as if no one has heard of cilantro or other common mexican/latino ingredients? I'll stick with Rick Bayless.

Drawing comparisons between Bravo's Top Chef and FN's Next Star is depressing. Clearly, the Top Chef contestants were of a higher quality -- yet the FN judges violently browbeat their contestants every time they accidentally made the monumental mistake of using even the simplest culinary terminology...

It's as if the Food Network are worried that unless they provide detailed step-by-step, fool-proof instructions of how to thinly slice up some basil, their audience just won't get it. Mention chiffonade, and there'll be an epidemic outbreak of brain haemorrhages.

One of this season's earlier shows really nailed the Food Network's attitude towards cooking, and their audience... Form over function, man:

This show had a wonderful and really promising concept -- the contestants had to demonstrate their abilities in three fields: Knife skills, plating a meal, and deconstructing a meal (figuring out what went into it; how it was cooked, and what it contained).

Part of the knife skill challenges involved filleting a fish, and one of the contestants clearly had no idea how to do it... After first saying a few inane things about "Oh, I don't want to cut it's head off!" and "Oh, I don't want to cut it's tail off!" she mutilated the fish with a few hapless slashes, and promptly gave up...

For this, she was brutally reprimanded -- not for having worse knife skills than Stephen Hawkins -- but because "You. Never.. Ever... Ever... ... STOP TAPING!" The contestant was actually told that it would have been better to keep smiling and pretending she knew what she was doing, even if she was destroying the fish. Now, I don't think they'd put a demo on how to mutilate a fish on TV, but still --

-- this is like a talent show contest where someone sings off key and forget the lyrics, with the judges gesturing for the contestant to just keep pretending, because they can edit in the sound later.

And if I were a violent person and owned a rifle... Nathan would be in my crosshairs!    :blink:  Seriously, could he be more cocky?!?

You obviously haven't been watching Top Chef. Stephen takes the Cocky Prize of the Millenium ®. Nathan has actually shown some humility on camera once or twice when things haven't quite gone well, particularly in this past week's episode.

Christopher

You were so right... I finally got to watch Top Chef last night, and holy cow, someone needs to slap Stephen... seriously!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

. . . Why does the Food Network not get this????

Sadly, my guess is that they do get it. It's just that we serious food people are not their target audience. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I do remember reading news stories recently about how much their viewership has expanded. They're being successful with what they're doing. I don't know if that makes the dilution of FTV any easier to bear but it at show that there's some logic behind it.

It'll be interesting to see how FTV eventually ends up marketing the winner of this contest.

=R=

This echoes concerns voiced by opponents of Oprah's book club. When people buy a lot of books Oprah likes, the booksellers start to ignore people who don't think like Oprah. In order to survive, the "old guard" has to join the "vanguard" of people writing to please Oprah. Or find an "alternate Oprah."

Are you reading this, Anthony Bourdain? Since Kitchen Confidential, I have invested a significant amount of money on books whose only claim to fame is the AB seal of approval.

Oprah's not bad, we just need more than one Oprah.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching, but I must have missed the episode with Sandra Lee (thank God).

At any rate, I don't really see any standouts...If I were a judge, I would have voted off Nathan long ago. I find him pretentious and I don't think he would connect with the general audience for that very reason. I laughed aloud when he made that dish with the kaffir leaves and he was in way over his head.

I also would have voted off Reggie. Does he have any real cooking skills beside throwing a sweet potato and some other ingredients into a food processor and calling it a soup? I think they keep him around for his "entertainment value." He's quite fey and campy and adds some humor to this competition. But he won't be the Next Food Network Star. He's not going to appeal to the American public at large.

I was sorry that they voted off Andy though...even though he's low key, he seemed like he had some promise. Not everyone has to have a hyper and shrill personality to get their point across.

And I knew that Jess (the Asian woman) & Beth would be voted off early on. I sized them up in the first episode and I could clearly see that they didn't have "it" to be a Food Network personality. "It" being charisma, the right "face" or enough of a spark or interest that would compel most of the viewing public to watch their show.

I was so sad they kicked Andy off. He had such a genuine, relaxed style; so refreshing compared to how manic so many of the FN hosts are now (I'm looking at you, Ms. Rachael!). He's a good cook and it doesn't hurt that he's adorable! Bring back Andy!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

This is a terrible show that only deepens my growing distaste for the Food Network, which has gone from straightforward, instructive shows eight years or so ago to showing the viewer the cold, marketing-minded guts behind its modern trend toward useless food-as-style content.

Watching the panel — Bobby Flay, that insanely critical marketing woman and the senior VP of whatever — pick apart these people after throwing them through another hoop (not to mention hearing the former Double Dare host's voice) is painful television. Painful television that I've watched a bit, yes.

So it all comes down to an Off the Hook! Wild! Put Tequila In It Bro! persona versus a cartoon character whose schtick and manboobs are excruciating to watch. Bobby Rivers' big cousin from down South?

So it all comes down to an Off the Hook! Wild! Put Tequila In It Bro! persona versus a cartoon character whose schtick and manboobs are excruciating to watch. Bobby Rivers' big cousin from down South?

Snerk! I confess. I voted for Gus. He, at least, knows more about food than poor Reggie (who I would enjoy knowing, I think). I really thought Andy was the best, though and thought he would make it farther than clueless Carissa :angry: . I told Mr. Kim that I bet Andy got a culinary job through this show, which is what he really wanted. During his bio on the show he said that he came to NY to attend culinary school and work, but that his wife had a baby and so he had to get a 'real' job. I really hope that he gets something great - he seemed to be really knowledgable and someone I would like to work with.

I think Reggie is an over-the-top caricature and I'm surprised that he made it to the final two. But he's not going to win. I find that whole sassy-divalicious-effeminate-twosnapsup schitck to be extremely annoying. How he is deemed entertaining is beyond me. And I find him a bit repulsive as well...I would never eat his cooking.

Guy is a little manic, but he seems to have some actual food knowledge and knife skills. I think he goes a little over-the-top with his "Cooking Off-the-Hook" idea, but he's better suited to having his own food show, I think.

When he wins, they'll work with him to polish things up.

I never saw the show with the first season's winners...was it any good? Or were they stereotypical "campy" like Reggie?

I've deleted a number of posts from this topic that are off topic, inflamatory and unecessary. Keep to the topic folks.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I think Reggie is an over-the-top caricature and I'm surprised that he made it to the final two.  But he's not going to win. I find that whole sassy-divalicious-effeminate-twosnapsup schitck to be extremely annoying.  How he is deemed entertaining is beyond me.  And I find him a bit repulsive as well...I would never eat his cooking.

Guy is a little manic, but he seems to have some actual food knowledge and knife skills.  I think he goes a little over-the-top with his "Cooking Off-the-Hook" idea, but he's better suited to having his own food show, I think.

When he wins, they'll work with him to polish things up. 

I never saw the show with the first season's winners...was it any good?  Or were they stereotypical "campy" like Reggie?

I like Reggie's personality, which I don't think is a put-on at all, and like his bravery in just being himself on a national program. I find his cooking skill level pretty much commensurate with other FN shows. He doesn't do the macho thing, but they already have shows with hosts who have those types of personalities.

No, the 1st season wnners have different personalities, though no less real than I think Reggie's is. I guess I know so many campy guys it didn't strike me as "stereotypical," anymore than any strong personality type does.

I simply don't enjoy Guy's persona, and my gut says, "Used car salesman."

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

I'm so disgusted by the "Next Food TV Star" ... its down to two gentlemen - Reggie and Guy.

Reggie was okay until his "pilot", then he completely lost it.

Reggie, when did you get the idea that women enjoy being called "girls"? I worked my butt off in college and then graduate school to earn my credentials. I worked my butt off to become an executive (CIO and VP, earning a comfortable six figure salary) and I worked my butt off to overcome the stigma of being a female in a male-oriented world.

You so casually refer to "Girls, girls, girls." I'm disgusted. Not only are there an enormous amount of single MALE parents, but there are many married men who are performing the primary childcare functions.

How would you enjoy being called a "boy"? Aside from your racial background, I can hardly believe that would be a welcome title. You may think that you are being "cute", but you are anything but.

I hope you find yourself flaming to your demise. You do not deserve a TV show or any public venue. You are a pig, and an embarassment to the human race. Good luck, BOY, maybe you'll mature after a few more years.

Not to be at all argumentative (and I don't like Reggie much, myself), but he makes a big thing about being 'Southern' (I don't really see it). And 'girl' is very much a Southern thing (see the GRITS thread on the Southern Food Culture board) - 70 year old women having lunch call each other girls. We don't mind being girls at all - in fact we call those other folks 'boys'. :laugh:

An another point, was anyone bothered by Evette talking as if no one has heard of cilantro or other common mexican/latino ingredients? I'll stick with Rick Bayless.
Yes, but sadly, I suspect many audience members would actually be learning something new by this, seemingly elementary, bit of information.

Although entertaining, I must submit that I have fallen prey to the sound of the FN jumping on the "reality show" bandwagon... I'd be curious to know how many of you eGulleters have watched last year's winners', the "Hearty Boys" on their show "Party Line with the Hearty Boys?" I have to admit, I've not seen a single episode, so I can't comment (it overlaps with Sunday church and I haven't bothered to tape it...). Does anyone know if the FN plans to keep it another season, or is it to be replaced by the new winner?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Yes, but sadly, I suspect many audience members would actually be learning something new by this, seemingly elementary, bit of information.

Although entertaining, I must submit that I have fallen prey to the sound of the FN jumping on the "reality show" bandwagon... I'd be curious to know how many of you eGulleters have watched last year's winners', the "Hearty Boys" on their show "Party Line with the Hearty Boys?" I have to admit, I've not seen a single episode, so I can't comment (it overlaps with Sunday church and I haven't bothered to tape it...). Does anyone know if the FN plans to keep it another season, or is it to be replaced by the new winner?

u.e.

I have seen it, its not bad, its a nice easy show to watch. I heard when I was at Iron Chef that they got 26 more episodes this year....

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I have seen it, its not bad, its a nice easy show to watch. I heard when I was at Iron Chef that they got 26 more episodes this year....

Interesting. I wonder if they'll be in a better time slot for the next run of episodes. Last I checked, the show was on once week, shown very early on Sunday mornings. In fact, being in that slot kind of made me feel like the folks at FN weren't too fond of the Heary Boys. With 26 more episodes on order, that probably isn't the case.

=R=

Interesting.  I wonder if they'll be in a better time slot for the next run of episodes.  Last I checked, the show was on once week, shown very early on Sunday mornings.  In fact, being in that slot kind of made me feel like the folks at FN weren't too fond of the Heary Boys.  With 26 more episodes on order, that probably isn't the case.

=R=

Apparently not... but, whereas the Hearty Boys seem to have a "hook" - I would have to agree with past posts that neither of this year's finalists have a particularly novel angle... not the least of which can be punned by Guy's "Off the Hook." Will be really interested to see how the next FN star fares... I actually didn't vote this year because I just couldn't decide on one... both have their strengths and weaknesses. I think from purely a personality point of view, I think that Reggie would be more amusing to watch, but Guy might actually teach me something... (and truth be told, I totally forgot about the deadline).

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Interesting.  I wonder if they'll be in a better time slot for the next run of episodes.  Last I checked, the show was on once week, shown very early on Sunday mornings.  In fact, being in that slot kind of made me feel like the folks at FN weren't too fond of the Heary Boys.  With 26 more episodes on order, that probably isn't the case.

=R=

Apparently not... but, whereas the Hearty Boys seem to have a "hook" - I would have to agree with past posts that neither of this year's finalists have a particularly novel angle... not the least of which can be punned by Guy's "Off the Hook." Will be really interested to see how the next FN star fares... I actually didn't vote this year because I just couldn't decide on one... both have their strengths and weaknesses. I think from purely a personality point of view, I think that Reggie would be more amusing to watch, but Guy might actually teach me something... (and truth be told, I totally forgot about the deadline).

u.e.

Yeah, even though I've been watching, I didn't vote either. I just wasn't revved up enough about either contestant to bother.

=R=

I've watched Partyline and have learned a few nifty tricks (such as how to cut a 9-inch round pan of brownies into 32 uniform triangular pieces). Steve and Dan have a great rapport. I admit I also voted for them when they were finalists. But what a dreadful time slot they've been given for their show. I also think the moniker "Hearty Boys" suits them.

I didn't catch all the Next Food Star shows for this season. None of the contestants bowled me over in the episodes I saw. Guy seemed like he had a fun personality, but I couldn't tell what I would be learning from him.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Of a whopping 6 episode contract. In a pretty tension-free but cheese-filled finale.

I was looking at the FN president, Tushman and Marketing Lips and understanding a little better how the FN thinks that Alton eating asphalt (really, they showed a preview of his new show and that was either the title or the tagline) and Bobby Flay playing cowboy will work.

Edited by hsm (log)

After watching their pilots I was definitely cheering for Guy. Reggie lost track of his whole "updated Southern" hook and his "Hey Girl! Be sassy!" manner doesn't play well when there's no visible or audible audience. Guy was fun and semi-educational. So I think he was the right choice.

Ratings must have been terrible. They had been doing one show a week and then burned off four new episodes in about ten days... they really rushed it to yesterday's conclusion.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media