• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boule, Los Angeles

jschyun

I'm sure you've heard about the opening of this 2 week old patisserie. I was hoping someone would post about this, but since nobody has, here goes.

Was just there this morning and thought I'd grab a couple of things. Got there a little too early, but managed to get a selection of macarons, chocolates and a croissant. Macarons are the best I've had in CA so far, esp since my local place changed bakers. My favorite flavors this morning were the Venezuelan chocolate, and the Gingerbread apple one (though this one was a bit messy to eat due to the apple filling). In the choc box, I was pretty surprised to find that I liked the wasabi lime chocolate, though I tasted more lime than wasabi. I knew I'd like the others, and they didn't disappoint. I thought the flavors were clean and clear. I have to say, I'm not a fan of chocolate covered jelly though (tea infused chocs). I also got some Darjeeling tea (Mariage Freres brand) and a financier. Breakfast =$27.

Some pics:

gallery_9978_586_1105311635.jpg

L-R, back row first: Venezuelan chocolate, Gingerbread Cake with apple filling, Rose Petal, Raspberry, Meyer Lemon, Green Tea, Gianduja Choc

gallery_9978_586_1105312357.jpg

L-R, back row first: Jasmine tea and passionfruit, Wasabi Lime, Ginger

(front row) Venezuelan (? I think this is right)choc truffle, Quatre Epices (4 spices), and Fleur de Sel Caramel

gallery_9978_586_1105312330.jpg

Soon they will have a tea salon upstairs and so it won't be just take-away. The color scheme and overall design reminds me of Tiffany's. The staff are good looking, young and are helpful and nice in a relaxed way (if that makes sense).

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Maybe if I ordered a financier, I could afford to eat out more often.  :wink:

Thanks for whetting my appetite.  :wub:

love the updated avatar, tanabutler!

i was at boule on friday, but nothing survived long enough to photograph! the fleur de sel caramels were swoon-able.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally made it to Boule today -- got one of each of the macaron and 4 chocolates, but haven't tried them yet. I did, however, eat my Kouign Aman -- wow! I highly recommend you try one of these scrumptious sugary/croissant dough/type pastries.

The Tigre was ok -- I believe it's a browned butter hazelnut cake with chocolate in the middle. Nothing exciting here. The pineapple-Indonesian pepper sorbet was good, although the pepper got a little tiring after a while.

Edited: I've now eaten all 7 macaron -- the pumpkin and gingerbread apple were very unique and good. All in all, though, I enjoy the macaron from Pascal Epicerie in Newport Beach better (especially the Praline). Pascal's have more contrast between the crispy exterior and softer inside; also, the Boule macaron made me feel a bit queasy for some reason -- too sweet? too gooey? :unsure:

Edited by mukki (log)

• 1 year later...

Bump.

I went to Boule one hot afternoon and decided to indulge. I had some refreshing ice creams (raspberry mint & lemon basil). While I was cooling myself, I surveyed the counters and eventually made my decisions:

gallery_24802_3017_33503.jpg

gallery_24802_3017_58781.jpg

Chocolate cannelé bordelais

The outside was crispy, the inside was creamy. Pretty good.

gallery_24802_3017_110175.jpg

Macarons (left, middle & right columns): Chocolate, Lavender, Rose Petal, Meyer Lemon, Pistachio, Dulce de Leche, Coffee, Coconut

The macarons tasted sweet. Teh chocolate had more of a brownie texture. The flavors were present, but the sweetness wants to be prominent, if that makes sense. I had to be careful not to eat too much at one time or I would’ve been on a sugar-high.

gallery_24802_3017_99195.jpg

Box of chocolates (12)

Dante (sicilian pistachio); Carver (peanut praline); Beckham (curry-gianduja); Brittany (fleur de sel caramel); Fatale (scotch bonnet pepper); Mahal (kalamanai lime); Isis (rose-caramel); Lilli (passion fruit-ivoire); Cela (quatre epice); Veda (candied ginger); Bronte (raspberry-earl grey); Jade (green tea) -- as listed on the card

Yes, life is like a box of chocolates. Even though the box contained a small card listing the different flavors, the chocolates were not necessarily in order ... hehehe ... especially the one called Fatale (scotch bonnet pepper). It was like a game of culinary dare. And which one was which? Oh, I don’t remember. You'll have to find out for yourself. :rolleyes:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Thanks for the pictures! Which flavours were your favourite? Did you get to choose that box of 12 or are they pre-packaged?

I haven't had a cannele before and the recipes are quite time-consuming...plus I don't have the molds. You said it was "pretty good"...meaning there are better things to try at Boule?

I have never eaten a macaroon that made me think, "Damn, this is SO good!" but the gingerbread apple sounds interesting. Usually the macaroons I've sampled in Vancouver are way too sweet and quite light in flavour...so I don't really bother.

The ringing endorsement for the Kouign Aman has me most interested though.... :smile:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the ICE CREAM at Boule... which I think is the best in LA, honest!!

They always have 8 flavors and they change all the time. Last time I was there I got Yuzu Buttermilk, Cardamom Ginger Caramel and an Apricot Jasmine sorbet. YUM. Any time I've had the fruit flavored ones they've been especially incredible. Cantaloupe was great, as was Red Grape. They're also a great deal compared to the other sweets in the shop. And they let you try as many flavors as you want.

My only complaint was that they no longer serve their fresh-baked waffle cones, which were unreal, they were so damn good. For some reason now they only come in cups.

Ayana

Thanks for the pictures! Which flavours were your favourite? Did you get to choose that box of 12 or are they pre-packaged?

I don't remember. Mind you, the one that got my attention was the scotch bonnet pepper. It definitely wakes you up!

I haven't had a cannele before and the recipes are quite time-consuming...plus I don't have the molds. You said it was "pretty good"...meaning there are better things to try at Boule?

The cannele was pretty good. I probably need to try another one to come to a complete conclusion. :wink:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the ICE CREAM at Boule... which I think is the best in LA, honest!!

Yes, the ice creams were really good. And I barely mentioned it in my post above^. My bad. The ice creams hit the spot on a hot afternoon. In the lemon-basil, I tasted the lemon first, then I noticed the basil. When you're there, try the fromage blanc. It's like a light cheesecake flavor.

The ringing endorsement for the Kouign Aman has me most interested though.... :smile:

I heard that the kouign aman is no more. Boule has supposedly removed all viennoiserie to make room for other items, although I haven't confirmed that in person. Very sad.

After lunch on Friday, we stopped by Boule and got the lemon basil sorbet, a canneles bordelaise, and a passionfruit mousse cake with coconut. Also sampled a pistachio cream-filled chocolate. The sorbet was far and away the tastiest of the three. The mousse cake was also pretty good, but a little too sweet for my tastes. I was surprised at how rustic the items in the pastry case looked, like the chocolate tarts, the lemon tarts, the eclairs...I wasn't tempted to take any pictures. The canneles bordelaise was really bad. The outside was all thick and rubbery and the interior was an unappetizing gummy texture. We each took a bite or two and threw the rest away. I found Boule a little disappointing, but not nearly as disappointing as our next stop--Sweet Lady Jane.

After lunch on Friday, we stopped by Boule and got the lemon basil sorbet, a canneles bordelaise, and a passionfruit mousse cake with coconut. Also sampled a pistachio cream-filled chocolate. The sorbet was far and away the tastiest of the three. The mousse cake was also pretty good, but a little too sweet for my tastes. I was surprised at how rustic the items in the pastry case looked, like the chocolate tarts, the lemon tarts, the eclairs...I wasn't tempted to take any pictures. The canneles bordelaise was really bad. The outside was all thick and rubbery and the interior was an unappetizing gummy texture. We each took a bite or two and threw the rest away. I found Boule a little disappointing, but not nearly as disappointing as our next stop--Sweet Lady Jane.

I had Sweet Lady Jane yesterday for the first time. A chocolate cake. Whoa! Way too decadent for my taste. I like my cakes light and fluffy, but I thought they packed the cake way too tight. I also thought there was overload on the buttercream. Nearly a third of the cake was buttercream. That's just too much.

I know this isn't the SLJ thread, but I'll post my brief comments here. We went to SLJ immediately after Boule (only had one day in LA, afterall :wink: ) and none of the cakes--towering monstrosities of what looked like thick, sugar bombs--appealed to me. We got a croissant that was easily the worst croissant either of us have ever tasted. My bf was like, "I've had better croissants at Safeway!" and I'd have to agree. The croissant was enormous, and very bready and dry. I had the tart tartin--the caramel was burnt BLACK (and yes, very bitter) and the crust was underdone on the edge, and soggy on the bottom. How could they serve something like this?

Sorry if this is sounding too harsh, but I was appalled by the quality of the two things we purchased. Far and away the two worst bakery items I've ever tasted.

Edited by Ling (log)

Ling, I'm sorry to hear that you had a horrible experience at SLJ. I usually go there for the cakes, which are definitely sugar bombs. Sometimes, I just need my late-night sugar fix & SLJ conveniently closes at 11:30 p.m. (which is amazing for LA)

Back to Boule ... I would say the sorbets are the best deal there. Two scoops for under $5 on a hot afternoon really hits the spot.

I heard that the kouign aman is no more. Boule has supposedly removed all viennoiserie to make room for other items, although I haven't confirmed that in person. Very sad.

yeah it's true. I admit I liked their croissants. and I apologize to anyone who read my ecstatic ramblings about that place in OC (pierre patisserie et boulangerie) because they have really gone downhill AND raised their prices.

So far my fave cannelle bordelaise was at Boulette's Larder in San Fran (aka Frisco). I just had one in fact. Awesome. Crunchy on the outside, custardy on the inside. In fact I think I'll have another tomorrow. I don't recall going gaga over Boule's version but I haven't had one in a while.

I also like the lemon basil sorbet.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW