• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chibousts

Liza

Great word, yes, and apparently a great dessert.

I've found a recipe by pastry chef Jill Rose, for lemon curd chiboust - a chiboust being "a vanilla pastry cream combined and lightened with Italian meringue," sometimes lightened with gelatin.

With a name like chiboust, it's got to be good. Why aren't there chiboust chains across America? Can we start this trend? Who's with me?

I have no idea. Larousse says it's a 19th century pastry cook but does not give pronounciation. I like to think it's "chih-BOOST", but that's just cause it sounds like it could replace "Chi-boom, chi-boom..."

• 4 years later...

I have found a few pronounciations as "she-booh", oddly.

And what do you mean by chibouste* chains? Like fast food chibouste? And I think we dont see it as opften because merignue breaks down quickly and pastry cream doesn't last very long.

But I do as well love chibouste.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I love Gateau St. Honore, which of course is filled with chiboust. My favorite recipe for this simple classic comes from Lenotre.

Interesting history notes to be found here on the origins.

Thanks for the plug Karen. You seem to have re-booted a few old topics today - having a pre-Christmas freshening-up are you?

A safe and happy holiday season to all of my eGullet friends - I have enjoyed my involvement with you all this year.

Janet

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday