• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Donkey's Place

deprofundis

Having grown up in South Jersey and now living in Philadelphia, I am of course a huge cheesesteak fan. However I've always had to travel west of the Delaware to find a quality cheesesteak. SJ's cheesesteak places always leave a lot to be desired, imho. Actually, there's very few dedicated cheesesteak eateries in SJ. Most likely, if you want one, you're ordering it from a pizzaria (or maybe a deli).

I first learned of Donkey's Place through Holly's website (hollyeats.com). I found out that Donkey's is actually only around 12 blocks from where my dad grew up. He used to ride his bike there when he was a kid. The place has been open for over 60 years. Not much seems to have changed on the inside. The bar decor is great. Walking through the door at Haddon Ave & Liberty Sts is like stepping back in time. Boxing memorabilia hangs from the walls. The owner, Bob Lucas, is the son of boxer Leon Lucas, whose photos and gloves are kept behind the bar. Old bottles of unopened Camden Lager stare at you from the shelf. Owner Bob Lucas, always behind the bar, greets you and takes your order. I always get the cheesesteak with fried onions and a bag of chips. The cheesesteaks are served on a round (!!) seeded kaiser roll (poppyseeds). It's unusual, but it works! Donkey's delivers a great cheesesteak, overflowing with onions and cheese. You're going to need several napkins to get through one of their sandwiches. Their fries are excellent too. They taste very fresh and crisp, most likely they were freshly cut from the potato. No frozen fries at Donkey's Place. The tab for a cheesesteak, coke, and chips: ~$7. Fries are I believe $2 extra.

Bob's son has opened up a second location in Medford called Donkey's Too. I've never been there, but it can't have the ambiance of the original.

Donkey's Place

1223 Haddon Ave.

Camden, NJ 08103

(856) 966-2616

Take out: M-F 6pm-12am, Sat. 10am-12am

Bar: M-F 10am-6m

This place is great I can eat three in a sitting,they put some mojo in the onions and the pepper relish is great, there is also a good carribean joint across the street.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

• 1 year later...
Take out: M-F 6pm-12am, Sat. 10am-12am

Bar: M-F 10am-6m

I only seem to be in Camden on Saturdays, mid-day. And man, for maybe a year and a half, I never seem to catch the joint open at that time. I would've assumed that they're dark on Saturdays, but in August, they had a sign on the door saying that they were closed Saturdays during late August. Ergo, they should be open on Saturdays now.

No hours on the window. I did see a card for Donkey's II in Marlton (or Maple Shade?), which listed the same hours as noted above.

Anybody know if they're ever open on Saturdays? Or, is the take-out door different than the door on Haddon Ave? I'm so dyin' to try this steak...

Edited to add that my latest attempt was today.

Edited by cinghiale (log)

I don't know about Camden, but Donkey's II here in Medford is always open on Saturdays. We get take out about once a month there and they are exactly the same sandwich as Camden, good. I first tried them at least 30 years ago whenever I would be working around Camden and was thrilled when they opened one here.

Having grown up in South Jersey and now living in Philadelphia, I am of course a huge cheesesteak fan.  However I've always had to travel west of the Delaware to find a quality cheesesteak.  SJ's cheesesteak places always leave a lot to be desired, imho.  Actually, there's very few dedicated cheesesteak eateries in SJ.  Most likely, if you want one, you're ordering it from a pizzaria (or maybe a deli).

Really? I order pizzas in a pizzeria.

Depends on what your ho is based on. Quality of the sandwich?

Ambiance? Necessity to carry automatic weapons?

I go to Chick's in Cherry Hill for an almost perfect cheesesteak.

Edited by rockhopper (log)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Having grown up in South Jersey and now living in Philadelphia, I am of course a huge cheesesteak fan.  However I've always had to travel west of the Delaware to find a quality cheesesteak.  SJ's cheesesteak places always leave a lot to be desired, imho.  Actually, there's very few dedicated cheesesteak eateries in SJ.  Most likely, if you want one, you're ordering it from a pizzaria (or maybe a deli).

Why are the cheesesteaks at Chick's "almost" perfect? I'm asking because I think the same thing. If I could have it my way, I'd like a roll that's just a little more crusty.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Why are the cheesesteaks at Chick's "almost" perfect? I'm asking because I think the same thing. If I could have it my way, I'd like a roll that's just a little more crusty.

Agreed about the bread. But what they have is not bad.

I like the onions cut smaller. It's not a deal breaker.

And maybe up the bacteria count in the meat for more authenticity :)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Donkey's opened up in Ocean city N.J. last year. The cheesesteaks were good but besides a round roll the big difference I noticed is all the deeply caramalized onions that for me is a plus. I always find it hard to get cheesesteak makers to burn the onions like I like them and they seem to do them that way normally

• 2 weeks later...