• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Newcomer’s Essentials

winesonoma,

You seem familiar with this area. In Petaluma there are two places I've wanted to try, but haven't.

Any info about J.M. Rosen's Cheesecake? I know one of the founders, Michele Rosen, just died in December. Are the cakes as good as the sound ... Chocolate over Blood Orange Cheesecake ... Lemon Marscapone Layer Cake. Is it a regular bakery or do you have to special order? I'm assuming that you can get a slice of the cheese cakes at Rosen's Eastside grill. Just what I need. Deep fried cheesecake.

The other place is Divine Delights which has a retail shop in Petaluma. I know they sell a gazillion places, but I'm thinking it may be like Joseph Schmidtt and fun to visit the home site.

FYI, a huge new Chinese mall is being built in South Bay area, near or in Dublin.  My friends live there and told me about it.  Something to look forward to.

--Also,

Ethnic Markets:  The Korean supermarket near Grand Ave, in Oakland.  I haven't been there in months so forget the name.  Has everything one needs, and even has a bakery in house (left side).

You reminded me that there is a Chinese shopping area on the corner of Mission and Warm Springs Road in Fremont. It has a Lion supermarket. I spent a month in the area and didn't explore much beyond the Sogo Bakery in that plaza and the food court in the same room. The food court had the best sesame balls in the entire Bay Area. I always make a special stop when I'm in the area. But this isn't about restaurants.

At SOGO, a Taiwanese bakery, I especially liked their flakey taro pastries filled with taro paste. Subtle in taste and the lovely pastel purple and white exterier is very attractive. There is almost a raw dough taste to them, so if you like uncooked cookie dough, you will like these.They have clever little cookies wrapped beautifully like gifts.

They also make a delicious mango pudding with slices of mango sitting on top of a white gelatin-like pudding.

They have good white breads like the coconut bread.Although I am not a fan of walnut breads because the walnuts are bitter, I loved the walnut bread at SOGO.

There are some beautiful cakes. I tried the Japanese cheese cake which is lite in texture and slightly dry, similar to a Polish Cheese cake

I went antique-ing in Petaluma last weekend -- being cold and rainy, we opted to dine at a Brit/Irish Pub called Findlays or something... Shawn sufficed with a burger to go with his Guinness while we shared a Mushroom soup that was unexceptional. I had half an order of Fish and Chips and was disturbed that not only were the chips laden with ground pepper, so was the cole slaw!

We will be heading back their often as their antique stores have pretty fabulous bargains and we love the used section of Copperfields books, so I'll be looking forward to providing more dining reports.

winesonoma,

You seem familiar with this area. In Petaluma there are two places I've wanted to try, but haven't.

Any info about J.M. Rosen's Cheesecake? I know one of the founders, Michele Rosen, just died in December. Are the cakes as good as the sound ... Chocolate over Blood Orange Cheesecake ... Lemon Marscapone Layer Cake. Is it a regular bakery or do you have to special order? I'm assuming that you can get a slice of the cheese cakes at Rosen's Eastside grill. Just what I need. Deep fried cheesecake.

The other place is Divine Delights which has a retail shop in Petaluma. I know they sell a gazillion places, but I'm thinking it may be like Joseph Schmidtt and fun to visit the home site.

Rosens is the real deal. Great cheese cake. The restaurant is also very good. Dempseys brew pub has the best onion rings I've had in the bay area. I keep wanting to eat at Volpis and can never seem to find it open.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

The Chronicle mentioned today that  the first retail branch of the Della Fattoria wholesale bakery opened in Petaluma. It is called Della Fattoria Downtown. Anyone tried it?

I don't ever think I knowingly tried Della Fattoria. What are your favorite breads?

opencounter.jpg

I'll check it out next time I'm over there. Hwy 116 isn't called blood alley for nothin. Sorta makes it a must do rather a let's go kinda thing. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

The Chronicle mentioned today that  the first retail branch of the Della Fattoria wholesale bakery opened in Petaluma. It is called Della Fattoria Downtown. Anyone tried it?

I don't ever think I knowingly tried Della Fattoria. What are your favorite breads?

Della Fattoria breads are for sale in a few markets in Napa/Sonoma - I prefer the Acme breads, but I haven't had the Della Fattoria breads sold at their shop. I'll have to go check it out, it looks far better in that picture than at the grocery store.

Melkor,

Have you tried Keller's Bouchon Bakery? It opened and then I never heard anything else about it. I was out of the Bay Area though shorthly after it opened, so it might be me.

Anyone have opinions?

After reading this article about Bouchon, Della Frattoria and a number of other area bakeries, for some reason the thought of having a Bouchon birthday cake seems appealing.

Edited by Krys Stanley (log)

Melkor,

Have you tried Keller's Bouchon Bakery? It opened and then I never heard anything else about it. I was out of the Bay Area though shorthly after it opened, so it might be me.

Anyone have opinions?

After reading this article about Bouchon, Della Frattoria and a number of other area bakeries, for some reason the thought of having a Bouchon birthday cake seems appealing.

I've been to the Bouchon Bakery far more times than could be considered healthy. I started a thread about it when the place first opened. It really is a great bakery - not sure about their cakes though, I don't think I've ever had any cake from them. Citizen Cake in SF is my favorite source of cakey-goodness in the bay area.

... At one time, K & L Wines was very helpful, but since the move, not so helpful.

Krys, I take it that this summary of your experience there refers to the San Francisco shop, which is, I believe, the second location of K & L. The link that you posted is to the firm's central Web site, much of which comes from the home store in Redwood City. (I am just a customer there, if anyone from K & L can correct me here, please do so.) I have not visited the SF shop but have dealt with Redwood City for 10 years.

K&L's overall operation (two retail shops and fulfillment center) has wide and consistent respect among many wine enthusiasts in the US, as far as I can tell. The firm ships extensively out of the region, and it was proactive in Internet marketing, at a time when most notable wine dealers did not even have "passive" Web sites. That may have helped to establish its following.

This firm is also one of the several notable sites around the Bay Area to offer long-term temperature-controlled wine storage in assorted sizes.

-- MaxH

I dropped by the Della Fattoria shop in Petaluma this morning, snacked on a bunch of the bread samples and bought a pile of stuff to take home. A few of the breads were still hot from the oven, so naturally I had to bring them home with me. Their walnut-currant bread was a perfect base for the sandwiches we had for lunch - caramelized onions, meyer lemon mayo, leftover roast chicken, and spinach. Their pain-au-chocolate is good, but a bit dry - I prefer the Bouchon Bakery version. The pear tart is better, it is really a pear croissant but how could that be held against them. I've yet to try the meyer lemon/rosemary/sea salt bread - it smells good, but I'm too full to try it. The thing not to be missed at the store is their peanut butter cookie sandwich, which is two light and delicious peanut butter cookies with some peanut butter cream filling in the middle.

The thing I found most striking about the place is that it looks EXACTLY like the photo on their website, the display case to the right which is half empty in the photo was half empty when I stopped by. The staff is really friendly, they sell a good product, if you’re in the area it's worth a visit.

Thanks much to Krys for pointing the place out.

The thing not to be missed at the store is their peanut butter cookie sandwich, which is two light and delicious peanut butter cookies with some peanut butter cream filling in the middle.

I didn't see any peanut butter cookie sandwiches in the box you brought home.... :angry:

Fortunately the stuff that did make it home was delicious.

allison

Any recs for great chocolate shops?

I'm loving this thread.

If you want chocolate heaven, try the caramel truffle from XOX. Of the many, many reviews that you can read on the site, Chocolitier says it best "As authentic French truffles should be, XOX truffles are small, slightly irregular shaped, hand-rolled treasures with a dense ganache center that quickly melts into rich buttery softness in your mouth."

They are all good, but that caramel truffle is a weak in the knees, oh my goodness bite of wonderfulness. Other favorites of mine are the peanut butter, black and white, and Casimira's Favourite. They have a vegan version (this is SF), but unless you are vegan, skip it. It is good, but just can't compare with the full fat dairy version.

If you buy a cup of Graffeo coffee, you choose a free truffle. They opened a new site in Oakland and it seems some stores like the local Nieman Marcus, Oakville Grocery and local Whole Foods sell XOX now. Check the site.

You can check the links on the list above, but I'm not a fan of the highly praised local chocolitiers Recchuiti or Scharffen Berger the taste doesn't live up to the extravagant cost.

Joseph Schmidt doesn't thrill me flavor wise, but I shop there often (good chocolate bark though). However, he is a master at absolutely, drop dead stunning looking choclate. This sculpture gallery will give you an idea. In the summer there are clever choclate lobsters, starfish, seashells. The Halloween, Easter, Christmas and Valentines day chocolates are wonderful. He celebrates in chocolate the seasons and all the holidays. His colector's boxes are wonderful. Pretty tins and stunning boxes hold his chocolates. I still have a Chinese dragon from one Chinese New Year's. I know you can buy these accross the country, but there is more of a selection at the little shop on 16th st.

Sees is just for me, the best hands down selection when I want an unfancy great quality box of mixed chocolates.

I’m about to update the list with the places suggested in this thead. Thanks so much for the great additions.

If you see any others, let me know. In another thread, Alexis Baking Company in Napa was mentioned. Is it a bakery on its own right and not just a café? Should it be recommended?

Here’s what is being added. I realize that Wine shops were not on the original document, but there were a few suggestions, so I added those.

SAN FRANCISCO / EAST BAY

Bakeries and Bread

Destinations

Ethnic shops

Korean Plaza, Oakland.

Meat and Seafood Markets

Drewes Brothers

Wine

Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant

K & L Wines

Plumpjack

The Jug Shop

SOUTH BAY

Bakeries and Bread

Sogo Bakery - Fremont

Ethnic shops

Crossroads World Market Hayward, Palo Alto

Farmers Markets & Farms

Coast Ways Ranch, - Pescadero

Phipps Ranch - Pescadero

Swanton Berry Farm - Davenport

Markets

Archangeli Market (bread) - Pescadero

Shopper's Corner - Santa Cruz,

DeLuxe Foods - Santa Cruz,

NORTH OF THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE

Bakeries and Bread

Artisan Bakers – Sonoma

Basque Boulagerire (bread) – Sonoma

Bouchon Bakery- Napa

Divine Delights - Petaluma

J.M. Rosen's Cheesecake - Petaluma

This article also mentioned these places. I only want to add places posters have actually tried. If you haven’t tried them, the article mentions the specialties of each places

Boonville General Store, Boonville (bakery or market?)

Bovine Bakery - Point Reyes Station

Brickery at Cafe Beaujolais - Mendocino

FULL CIRCLE BAKING COMPANY- Penngrove

Model Bakery - Yountville,

Santa Rosa Junior College Culinary Cafe Bakery, Santa Rosa

Village Bakery - Sebastopol

Wild Flour Bread - Freestone

Farmers Markets & Farms

Sonoma Tuesday night Farmers Market

Markets

Dean & DeLuca - St. Helena

Jimtown Store - Healdsburg

Nonna's - Sonoma

Oakville Grocery, - Oakville

Sonoma Market - Sonoma

Vallergas - Napa

Meat and Seafood Markets

Osprey Fish Market - Napa,

Wine

Bounty Hunter Rare Wine & Provisions - Napa

The Wine Exchange - Sonoma

I’m about to update the list with the places suggested in this thead. Thanks so much for the great additions.

If you see any others, let me know. In another thread, Alexis Baking Company in Napa was mentioned.  Is it a bakery on its own right and not just a café? Should it be recommended?

Here’s what is being added. I realize that Wine shops were not on the original document, but there were a few suggestions, so I added those.

SAN FRANCISCO / EAST BAY

Bakeries and Bread

Destinations

Ethnic shops

Korean Plaza,  Oakland.

Meat and Seafood Markets

Drewes Brothers

Wine

Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant

K & L Wines

Plumpjack

The Jug Shop

SOUTH BAY

Bakeries and Bread

Sogo Bakery - Fremont

Ethnic shops

Crossroads World Market  Hayward, Palo Alto

Farmers Markets & Farms

Coast Ways Ranch, - Pescadero

Phipps Ranch  - Pescadero

Swanton Berry Farm -  Davenport

Markets

Archangeli Market (bread) - Pescadero

Shopper's Corner -  Santa Cruz,

DeLuxe Foods -  Santa Cruz,

NORTH OF THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE

Bakeries and Bread

Artisan Bakers – Sonoma

Basque Boulagerire (bread) – Sonoma

Bouchon Bakery- Napa

Divine Delights - Petaluma

J.M. Rosen's Cheesecake - Petaluma

This article also mentioned these places. I only want to add places posters have actually tried. If you haven’t tried them, the article mentions the specialties of each places

Boonville General Store, Boonville  (bakery or market?)

Bovine Bakery - Point Reyes Station 

Brickery at Cafe Beaujolais -  Mendocino

FULL CIRCLE BAKING COMPANY-  Penngrove

Model Bakery - Yountville,

Santa Rosa Junior College Culinary Cafe Bakery,  Santa Rosa

Village Bakery -  Sebastopol 

Wild Flour Bread -  Freestone

Farmers Markets & Farms

Sonoma Tuesday night Farmers Market

Markets

Dean & DeLuca -  St. Helena

Jimtown Store -  Healdsburg

Nonna's - Sonoma

Oakville Grocery, - Oakville

Sonoma Market - Sonoma

Vallergas - Napa

Meat and Seafood Markets

Osprey Fish Market - Napa,

Wine

Bounty Hunter Rare Wine & Provisions - Napa

The Wine Exchange - Sonoma

Krys:

Model Bakery isn't in Yountville...it's in St. Helena.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

My contributions:

SOUTH BAY: as in Palo Alto and southward

Oakville Grocery - Stanford Shopping Center

Schaub's Meat- Stanford Shopping Center

Milk Pail Market - Mountain View

Dittmer's Gourmet Meats & Wurst-Haus - Mtn. View

Lunardi's Market - Los Gatos, San Jose

Cosentino's Market San Jose,Santa Clara

Gene's Fine Foods - Saratoga

health food stores:

Country Sun Natural Foods - Palo Alto

The Ubiquitous Whole Foods - several locations

Also, I second XOX Truffles for chocolate. :wub: When I lived in Colorado, I had them overnighted to me and it was one of the things that kept me going through what I like to call "The Dark Ages".

Edited by kellycolorado (log)