• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name That Chodorow Restaurant Contest!

bourdain

The new Chodorow-Todd English project has a pretty awful name. I'm replicating the sign below:

ENGLISH ITALIAN

(I've already walked by it about 7 times this week)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 1 month later...
The Prairie Oyster Raw Bar

I would totally eat there. But what can I say, I have an obession to taste testicle... (in a non sexual way preferably).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Has anyone suggested "Chod" (pronounced Chode) yet?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Chance -- This is, actually, the real name of a real restaurant that just opened in Brooklyn. Yeah, hmmm. Don't really want to associate that word with anything that's going in my stomach. Not so much. Nope.

Mime n' Meal -- All of the servers are mimes and mime out the menu for you. Mime taking your order. Mime cooks mime cooking your mime food. Mime bartenders mime you a drink. You see where I'm going with this...

• 3 weeks later...

These are actually my favorites of the bunch!

Mescal, Mescaline and Mesculn

The Grill from Ipanema

Claude's All-U-Can-Eat Feojada Yada Yada

More Spanish than Brazilian, but with lots of fashion models for customers.....

El Bullimia

2317/5000

The Grill from Ipanema serves what I take to be fairly straightforward, typical Brazilian food. Having never been to Brazil, I'm not much of a judge, and it's also been several years since I ate at this restaurant. You can see a brief Washingtonian magazine review here.

The Frog and Durian

I am so there...

Sorry, looks like "Lard Shack" has already been copyrighted by The Cheesecake Factory for use in their new fast-casual dining concept.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

• 1 year later...

I went to one of those random band name generator websites to get some ideas.

The Crippling Hunger Diner

Polyester World (I just couldn't resist this one. It sounds a bit like a Chuck E. Cheese kind of place. I bet I'd be the big dork that I am and actually go to this place of my own free will.)

Sucky Bucket Cafe

John Johnson's Sickly Spinach Restaurant (Oh come on, you know the whole 'spinach makes you sick now' thing was a total scam from the carot industry.)

Floppy Lodge (Ski, snowboard, throw snow balls at your neighbor, eat...uh...snow?)

The Pure Place (OMG...Where everything is PURE! LOL I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore.)

The Yucky Human Cafe (No humans allowed.)

The Spinach Spot Hot Spot (I don't know why, but I just like the spinach ones. I find spinach funny, and I don't know why.)

Mkay, I'm done. Those are all really lame, I know. I couldn't figure out how to use this as a restaurant name, but at one point the band name generator gave me Vegetable Spinach. I just thought that was funny.

--Ciao

--Jai

(P.S. I plugged in the word 'goat' just for kicks. One was "Goat Sadness." I like that one. That is totally the new name of my band.)

EDIT: Dude, this thread is a few months away afrom being two years old. I don't care. I like this thread. Very funny.

Edited by Jaimei (log)

In Oakland.

Tripping over rocks and almost falling in the water at the Berkley Marina in the middle of the night is so not a good way to die, unless it's the 4th of July.

You know, when I went back and reread my post, I didn't think the spinach thing was all that funny anymore. It was kindof stupid.

I had another idea earlier when I was randomly thinking about acronyms(sp?) and eating a slightly funky tasting bagel.

The T.T.F. restaurant (This Tastes Funky)

Thats also very lame, and again one of those things that only seemed to be funny the first time I thought of it.

In Oakland.

Tripping over rocks and almost falling in the water at the Berkley Marina in the middle of the night is so not a good way to die, unless it's the 4th of July.

My parent's favourite neighbourhood restaurant in Sidcup, that's in south east London, glories in the name Sophie's Choice. I've been once and just looked around and wondered "do they know what thay've done?" . How does a diner feel when they find themsleves saying "i can't quite choose between the soufle or creme brulee?".

Well - Chodorow may have his faults but having lots of money to start out places is not a problem. I am CIA grad and found Rocco an idiot and embarassing. Actually we all did (CIA Class) when he had his show. If he would have thought about the numbers instead of his ego he probably would have done better - but all of these reality shows are ending up bad - all of the married people (nick/Jessica) are all but a memory.

As far as names - he can name it crap - but I bet it will be ver well thought out.