• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help...?!?

Curlz

It's cold and rainy here in the northeast, so I just made a big pot of potato soup...it's a very basic recipe, but the author of the article raved about it, so I decided to give it a shot. Ingredients: onion (Vidalia), leeks, celery, carrots, potatoes, water, salt and pepper. Now it's done, pureed (oh, but I do love my new stick blender!) and gorgeous to look at, but has no discernable taste other than vegetable. I'm considering cayenne or cumin...are these good or bad ideas? Thoughts on how to give it a boost are greatly appreciated!

Edit: the other thought is that what it really needs is BACON, but that doesn't seem quite as healthy as the all-veg soup! :raz:

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

a few splashes of truffle oil?

frankly, i am of the opinion that the carrots are unnecessary and that celery must be banned from any decent kitchen...but thats just me!

It's cold and rainy here in the northeast, so I just made a big pot of potato soup...it's a very basic recipe, but the author of the article raved about it, so I decided to give it a shot.  Ingredients: onion (Vidalia), leeks, celery, carrots, potatoes, water, salt and pepper.  Now it's done, pureed (oh, but I do love my new stick blender!) and gorgeous to look at, but has no discernable taste other than vegetable.  I'm considering cayenne or cumin...are these good or bad ideas?  Thoughts on how to give it a boost are greatly appreciated!

It could be the type of potatoes you used.

I prefer Yukon gold, since they have become available.

However, once in a while I end up with a potato soup that lacks "something" in the way of flavor.

My "fix" is simply to mix up a batch of herb dumplings - a basic biscuit dough with the addition of salt, pepper and a herb mixture.

I scoop it out of the bowl with a #30 disher (ice cream scoop) and drop them onto a sheet of parchment paper until all are formed, it doesn't hurt if the surface dries just a bit.

Then I make sure the soup is bubbling, stirring well to keep the bottom from scorching.

I then shovel in the dumplings, cover tightly and turn the heat down to a simmer.

After 5 minues I uncover, turn the dumplings over, separating the ones that have stuck together, cover again and continue cooking for about 8 to 10 minutes.

I have found that the flavor of the dumplings, in the soup, gives it a depth of flavor far beyond that of the basic soup.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

cayenne pepper yes

hot sauce yes

worchestershire yes

bacon, maybe some cheese too

do creamy potato bacon ched soup for work all the time....its like creamy potato skins

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Eh, nothing based entirely on that potatoes can be healthy to begin with, so bring on the bacon ;)

If you really want to make it better: next time make it with turnips and rutagagas instead of potatoes.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

It's cold and rainy here in the northeast, so I just made a big pot of potato soup...it's a very basic recipe, but the author of the article raved about it, so I decided to give it a shot.  Ingredients: onion (Vidalia), leeks, celery, carrots, potatoes, water, salt and pepper.  Now it's done, pureed (oh, but I do love my new stick blender!) and gorgeous to look at, but has no discernable taste other than vegetable.  I'm considering cayenne or cumin...are these good or bad ideas?  Thoughts on how to give it a boost are greatly appreciated!

Edit: the other thought is that what it really needs is BACON, but that doesn't seem quite as healthy as the all-veg soup!    :raz:

I would put in some nutmeg if you want it on the mild side.

If you want spice, try some pureed chipoltes. (smoked Jalapeno)

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Does it have enough salt? That's the easiest fix.

I am a big believer in using heavy cream in this type of soup. Also next time use a yellow type onion, not a vidalia--vidalias are not as flavorful when cooked. Try using stock instead of water to add more oomph. And bacon of course, but you awready knew that.

I add a little bit of instant mashers to my potato soup to adjust the texture when it's done. It makes a big difference since it makes the soup more velvety and thick.

As usual, you guys rock! Thanks much for all of the suggestions.

-I used russet potatoes, which is what the recipe called for.

-Considered using some chicken stock instead of all water, but decided to do what I usually do with a new recipe, esp for soup--follow the recipe as written and then decide what I'd do differently next time.

-Yes, I've added quite a bit of salt (for me) and it's still not pulling out as much flavor as I'd like it to.

-AHA! re: the Vidalia, which I chose b/c I figured since I was carmelizing the vegetables it was smarter to use a sweeter onion. DUH.

-Howard, your post really did make me LOL! :biggrin:

I must say, the soup is a gorgeous color (thanks to the carmelization of the vegs) and also has a beautiful texture, which is why I don't need to bother with cream (this time). But I think cayenne may be the answer for some punch. Still considering my options since there's no bacon in the house right now, so keep those calls and letters coming! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Pure potato soup needs some watercress thrown in for the last 2 minutes ... on top of the soup, then pureed into tiny bright green flecks and then the cream mentioned above ... my favorite and signature dish! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Pure potato soup  ... my favorite and signature dish!  :biggrin:

REALLY wish I had known that sooner, GG!!! :wacko: Any reason I couldn't add it tomorrow?

Pure potato soup  ... my favorite and signature dish!   :biggrin:

REALLY wish I had known that sooner, GG!!! :wacko: Any reason I couldn't add it tomorrow?

Nope! :biggrin: Just place the bunch of washed watercress on the heated soup and let it sit for 2-3 minutes (to maintain the color), then puree all ingredients ... so pretty!! and the watercress adds a slightly peppery touch! Enjoy!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

evie

next time skip the vidalia. i use leeks and shallots. since i can't use cream i may use a bit of lactaid milk but rely on the soup with broth(veg or chicken) not water then pureed to do the job. and if you have baked garlic (whole clove baked at 350, wrapped in foil with a sprinkling of olive oil and salt the next time you have your oven on) it is wonderful to add along with only the barest bit of thyme. you really don't need the bacon, etc. for flavor - sorry nullo, my sweet.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

evie

next time skip the vidalia.  i use leeks and shallots.  since i can't use cream i may use a bit of lactaid milk but rely on the soup with broth(veg or chicken) not water then pureed to do the job.  and if you have baked garlic (whole clove baked at 350, wrapped in foil with a sprinkling of olive oil and salt the next time you have your oven on) it is wonderful to add along with only the barest bit of thyme.  you really don't need the bacon, etc. for flavor - sorry nullo, my sweet.

I will remeber this sage advice as I proceed in my soup mission. I really love the idea of the baked garlic, and I agree that this soup needs salt --maybe those crispy curls of fleur de sel?

But I am on record for bacon.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

maggie - i agree with salt but i salt through the process. not fleur de sel but kosher salt. i, unfortunately, am one of the 30% cursed with a sodium intolerance so i have to watch the amount i cook with - why i cook with something other than mortons or whatever. also if you use canned stock :shock: there is sodium in there so you should taste before you add more.

ok for bacon if you do it one of two ways:

1) try it out. use the fat to sweat your onions and shallot after removing the lardons

2) use turkey bacon and crisp it in the microwave then crumble into the soup.

hey - i cook for all contingencies and am nothing if not inventive

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

my super secret soup solution, for nearly any kind of soup, is stolen from Indian cooking: Make a tadka (?) of whatever spices you want to accent by heating either oil or clarified butter and tossing in X until everything's hot and fragrent, then stir it into the finished pot. cures most any ill, and I don't understand why more cusines haven't picked it up.

I'd probably do a garlic, cumin, and pepper blend for the potato soup, because I'm just not a potato fan.

While not knowing the proportions, that recipe looks like it would give a sweeter version of puree of potato and leek. I'll repeat others' suggestions to use chicken stock and know that this kind of soup can take a bit of salt. Stirring in a swirl of creme fraiche would be nice. A bunch of boiled vegetables is going to taste like a bunch of boiled vegetables without adding some fat or getting some carmelization going.

I've been playing with using basmati rice as an alternative to potato as a thickener in my puree soups and have been pleased. It gives a bit of a nut flavor.

Curlz

When I make soups of this type (root vegs), aside

from the addition of cream, white diced turnips in

various amounts will either add another dimension of

flavor or predominate the mixture. Let your taste buds

be your guide.

my super secret soup solution, for nearly any kind of soup, is stolen from Indian cooking: Make a tadka (?) of whatever spices you want to accent by heating either oil or clarified butter and tossing in X until everything's hot and fragrent, then stir it into the finished pot.  cures most any ill, and I don't understand why more cusines haven't picked it up.

Would this work equally well if I made the tadka using bacon fat instead of oil or butter? Yes, I'm serious. My boring local supermarket didn't have watercress, and since I was in the city today, didn't have time to go elsewhere. I bought some bacon, some white pepper and figure I'll dice up some regular onion and saute it in bacon fat and see if I can't doctor it up that way. And fwiw, I had this thought that maybe if I stopped trying to repair the entire pot of soup and just focused on each bowl as I'm about to have it, I can likely do a better job. I'll let you know how that goes within the next hour! :smile: In general, I'm not heavy-handed when it comes to salt, but I have learned that when I'm making soup, it's a crucial element--and one that I normally 'layer' as I'm making the soup. That opportunity didn't present itself in this case.

Also, a clarification--the veggies (sans potato) were all carmelized. And beautifully so! Hence the sweet but boring flavor.

auntdot (and you don't know how funny that is--I have one! But she's not on line, I assure you)--how much is a tad in this case?

Latest update: Today I gave my mom, a vegetarian, a container of the soup. She requested that I not fuss with it any further, as she doesn't need everything to have 'zip' and certainly wouldn't eat it if I gave it too much 'kick.' Talked to her a little while ago and she said she didn't know what my problem was and that she thought it was wonderful. Ah, moms. :wub: I then heated up a portion for myself, added some white pepper and a smiiiiiiidge of cayenne + 1/2 a pinch more of (K) salt. DELISH. Still a mild soup, but at least now I felt like the flavor moved forward a bit, if that makes any sense.

Next bowl will get some regular onions sauteed in bacon fat. Just b/c I must complete all experiments! :wacko:

A little late, but I was going to suggest a dash of Tabasco, or other vinegar based hot sauce. This does two things -- gives the soup some acid, which heavy soups often need (I think), and provides some punch.

my super secret soup solution, for nearly any kind of soup, is stolen from Indian cooking: Make a tadka (?) of whatever spices you want to accent by heating either oil or clarified butter and tossing in X until everything's hot and fragrent, then stir it into the finished pot.  cures most any ill, and I don't understand why more cusines haven't picked it up.

Would this work equally well if I made the tadka using bacon fat instead of oil or butter?

a specific answer should come from those who understand Mr. McGee on the first reading, but I don't see why not--only concern would be that no particles in the bacon fat burn as you're warming the spices, no?

Try this spice mix (you can add about a teaspoon to one bowl of soup):

Tablespoons:

3 Paprika

1/2 to 1 cayenne

1 ground black pepper

1 salt

1 dried garlic (different flavor from fresh)

1 herbs de provence

1 dried onion (optional)

I also mix this with olive oil to make a paste and paint meats with it from time to time. You can season meats with it and the garnish the soup as well. Another thing I do is add things just before serving, bits of sausage or country ham which have been browned separately and then placed in the bowl with the soup ladled over it, for example, leftover meats you've well seasoned and placed on top, I recently caramelized leeks to top some soup which were quite delicious and I imagine good over potato. Fresh chopped herbs, before or after puree do wonders. Chives, for example. :smile: