• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boudin noir

Luckylies

I love love love boudain noir. I was first exposed to it in Martenique and have subsequently adored it on many a carribean vacation. A few question for you up-to-date folks. Where can I find it? Is it illegal or is this just an evil rumor? Are the French, Carribean, and Southern versions very different? if so how? Anybody have a good recipe? perhaps a mail order? I tried the USVI board but no dice :shock:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

im not sure where you are but a frined of mine keeps telling me that the best place to fine it is in a little town in louisiana called carencroe...cant remember the exact name of the place though he tells me its nto really a restaurant so much as it is some kind of store...though im sure if you ever get there the residents of the town would be able to tell you exactly where it is......might be a ways away for you right now though

a recipe is merely a suggestion

i,ve made it a few times,,,,its pretty easy to make but messy! its a mixture of pigs blood,,,diced sweet fat,,diced onions,,diced apples,,salt pepper and nutmeg. the mixture is warmed and funneled into pork casings and poached. then classically it is sauted and garnished with potatoe puree and carmelized apples. yumm!

• 2 weeks later...

There are many different types of boudain, but as Mathew wrote correctly, you always need fresh pig blood.

Here in Switzerland, bloodsausage is produced immediately after slaughtering. Even many experienced chefs make their sausages with the help of a "Störmetzger", a guy who is called to do just this job. The Swiss version consists of blood, milk and spices. Do you really want to get into this business?. Usually, they are made by butchers.

You'll find a recipe here. Technically, it looks simple, but as always with such traditional stuff, there are secrets. There are bitter battles between aficionados which restaurants offers the best boudin.

A firmer, German variant:

Blood sausage; Added: 1 kg belly meat 1 kg bacon 1 kg of schwarte bruehe 3/4 l pig blood salt pepper majoran thymian fat Preparation: 1 kg belly meat, 1 kg bacon, 1 kg of schwarte is cooked for 3/4 hours. The schwarten drives one two until three times by the meat machine. One cuts belly meat and bacon into fine cubes, which one gives and with cooking bruehe does not pour over on a filter (with it the sausage when cutting does not lubricate). Then one gives the meat and Speckwuerfelchen to the gemahlenen schwarten, mixes the whole with 3/4 litre to fresh pig blood, peppers it with salt, pepper, majoran and thymian, works everything well among themselves, fills the mass into greased fall glasses and sterilizes 2 hours with 100 degrees.

Note: "Schwarte" is pig skin, "Speckwuerfelchen" are timy bacon cubes and "bruehe" is broth.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Per Boris_A's post, you can also get "boudin noir" or "blutwurst" at German and Austrian butchers in the U.S. That's the version I grew up with...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"