• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Work coffee

jsolomon

I am dubiously the "coffee guy" at my employer. We have several coffee drinkers, but only a couple (me included) who complain whilst drinking plonk.

So, here's my question: what coffee maker would you recommend.

The requirements:

no grinder -> we're pretty much stuck brewing Folgers

Either an automatic shut-off or vacuum thermos to brew into

"sneak a cup" feature

Quick brew time

Brews at proper temperature

Not too expensive

~12 cup drip

Does anyone have recommendations off the top of their head?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My boyfriend uses the Black & Decker Thermal Select.

It brews into a thermos and stays decently hot for 4 - 5 hours. He likes to drink his coffee slowly in the mornings and with a typical coffee pot the coffee gets all sludgey and burnt. I am not sure if it has the "sneak a cup" feature however.

As a side note, you should think about pregrind some good coffee for yourself .....Don't resign yourself to Folgers ~ You deserve more!

How about one of these?

Flavia

There is a Flavia one cup at a time brewer in my lunch room, and I avoid it. While there is a wide variety of coffees, it makes a weak insipid cup, and it breaks down frequently. It had to be professionally installed, with dedicated counter space and a water line. We have a Black and Decker in reserve, and it is marginally better.

My boyfriend uses the Black & Decker Thermal Select.

It brews into a thermos and stays decently hot for 4 - 5 hours. He likes to drink his coffee slowly in the mornings and with a typical coffee pot the coffee gets all sludgey and burnt.  I am not sure if it has the "sneak a cup" feature however.

As a side note, you should think about pregrind some good coffee for yourself .....Don't resign yourself to Folgers ~ You deserve more!

Oh, don't worry. I have a one-cup melitta and hot-pot at work, and occasionally, I'll bring some of my private stash pre-ground and binder-clipped in a filter. I take care of myself, but I also have a good cuppa before I leave home on the bicycle, so I'm properly bolstered to start the day.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

While there is a wide variety of coffees, it makes a weak insipid cup, and it breaks down frequently.

You can trick a Flavia into making a stronger cup by using two packets of regular coffee on the 'espresso' setting, so that each makes a half-cup. It's still not good, but it's less weak. Don't use the 'espresso' packets for this. Just . . . don't.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I am dubiously the "coffee guy" at my employer.  We have several coffee drinkers, but only a couple (me included) who complain whilst drinking plonk.

So, here's my question: what coffee maker would you recommend.

The requirements:

no grinder ->  we're pretty much stuck brewing Folgers

Either an automatic shut-off or vacuum thermos to brew into

"sneak a cup" feature

Quick brew time

Brews at proper temperature

Not too expensive

~12 cup drip

Does anyone have recommendations off the top of their head?

The Cuisinart Coffeemaker Brew Central DCC-1200 fits all your requirements and then some. I just got one but haven't as yet used it. However, I researched coffeemakers and read a lot of reviews. This 12-cup model is sturdily built, has been around for a while, reportedly brews at a high enough temperature, comes with a permanent gold filter, has a charcoal filter if you wish to filter the water, can be set to turn off after a certain time, has an adjustable warming plate, special setting for 1-4 cups, sneak a cup feature, and comes with a 3-year warranty.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

According to Consumer Reports, the four highest rated models that have at least the thermal carafe to brew into are:

1) Capresso MT500

2) Hamilton Beach Stay Or Go 45234

3) Farberware Accents FAC400C

4) Zojirushi Fresh Brew EC-BD15

These range from about $60-170. Of course if the office is picking up the cost of the coffee system and writing it off as "office equipment" you could always go for the incredibly stylish looking Bosch TKA9110UC designed by Porsche for about $230.

Lookee Here

Pretty damned slick looking, but only brews a maximum of 8 cups for all that money. :angry:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol