• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food and Kitchen-Supply Shops in Munich

Behemoth

What do you guys do for high quality baking and cooking chocolate? I normaly use Vahlrona or Sharffenberger 62 and 70%, which are pricey but not astronomical when bought in respectable amounts. Tried Dallmayr but they only seem to carry their in-house brand, way pricey and didn't see any bulk quantities. Karstadt & the supermarkets carry mainstream couverture and baking chocolate but I don't know how the quality stacks up. Didn't know where to look in Viktualienmarkt.

Oh, I also need to ask about the yeast situation. Used Dr. Oetker dried but I am sure there are better options out there.

edit: how beautiful is it today? I keep making up excuses to go outside. In fact, I think we need some bread!

Edited by Behemoth (log)

People who bake more often than I do will probably come up with better information, but anyway...

If you're looking for fresh yeast, pretty much every supermarket has it in the refrgerator cabinets. It's very often near the milk, and frequently on the top or second to top shelf. The packets are often not labelled clearly, but they are usually fairly small silver foil packets - about 1 inch square (though I may be remembering this wrongly), and are also very cheap. If you can't see it readily, look along the price tags and the cheapest item along there may well be the yeast.

I know Edeka and even Lidl carry fresh yeast for sure (haven't tried the Lidl one), and I think I've seen it in Karstadt too.

I know I've seen Valrhona in Karstadt. The really small branches DON'T have it (that I have seen) but the larger branches do.

You know how Karstadt usually has a separate section, away from the main food section, specializing in chocolates, cookies, etc. Whereas cooking chocolate is in the main food section, the Valrhona was always stocked in the chocolate and cookie section and stocked close to the counter - presumably to minimize the chances of people stealing the more pricy items (??)

Qualifier: it's been about a year since I last bought any Valrhona, so it is conceivable that they're not stocking it any longer.

What do you guys do for high quality baking and cooking chocolate? I normaly use Vahlrona or Sharffenberger 62 and 70%, which are pricey but not astronomical when bought in respectable amounts. Tried Dallmayr but they only seem to carry their in-house brand, way pricey and didn't see any bulk quantities. Karstadt & the supermarkets carry mainstream couverture and baking chocolate but I don't know how the quality stacks up. Didn't know where to look in Viktualienmarkt.

Oh, I also need to ask about the yeast situation. Used Dr. Oetker dried but I am sure there are better options out there.

edit: how beautiful is it today? I keep making up excuses to go outside. In fact, I think we need some bread!

Wow, Scharffenberger chokolate for baking. It costs more than double the price like for some other good brands. For instance Zotter, Leysieffer, Cluizel, Domori or Valrhona. The Leysieffer shop is close to the Kaufhof at the Marienplatz. The other Brands you may find in the Hertie basement opposite of the central entrance of the Mainstation. Scharffenberger may be at Käfer's.

I personally use "Weinrich" Chocolat menage de luxe for baking and mousses. 300 grams for 1,70 EUROs at the Metro. It's good when following the procedures to heat up and melt not above 42°C and cool down to 33°C for processing.

Dr. Oetker dry yeast works fine. You may find alive yeast in the diary section of each supermarket, but it's often old and dried out. You have to check.

There is a hut in the Viktualien-Markt named "Bäckerliesl". There I buy my favourite bread. "Bauernkrustn" a round dark bread of about 1 1/2 kg. Very tasty with fresh "Alm-Butter" and sprinkled chopped chives.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Hi all,

I will be visiting (from Montreal Canada) Munich for a Trade Show (at the Trade Center); I'm excited to visit your city but I'm kind of last-minute! Would you have any recommendations as far as hotels are concern? Thanking you all in advance, à bientôt,

Salomon

Hi all,

I will be visiting (from Montreal Canada) Munich for a Trade Show (at the Trade Center); I'm excited to visit your city but I'm kind of last-minute!  Would you have any recommendations as far as hotels are concern?  Thanking you all in advance, à bientôt,

Salomon

Hello Salomon

because Hotels in town are not cheap, I've to know where should the hotel be(airport, trade center, downtown, etc) what ranking do you prefer (***, ****, *****) double room with breakfast or half pension for one night or more ? Check out for popular hotels here and for more informations on all 397 hotels check this website. You can book online. For closer information about the hotel you might prefer, don't hesitate to ask

Heinz

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

• 1 month later...

What a great thread! I'm headed to Munich the week before Easter with my daughters - 14 & 8. We'll definately check out some of the suggestions. The Bäckerliesl in the Viktualienmarkt is on my list.

• 1 year later...