• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Off" flavor in duck fat?

jayhay

I've heard so many raves about potatoes roasted in duck fat, that I was anxious to try them.

I bought a tub of fat at a reputable meat market with a high turnover, divided it up in chunks & froze it. That was about 2-3 months ago, & when I used it on N.Y. Eve, the potatoes had a peculiar, off putting flavour. I wanted to like them..... :sad:

Did I store the fat too long, & what's the length of time it can be frozen?

I've heard so many raves about potatoes roasted in duck fat, that I was anxious to try them. 

I bought a tub of fat at a reputable meat market with a high turnover, divided it up in chunks & froze it.  That was about 2-3 months ago, & when I used it on N.Y. Eve, the potatoes had a peculiar,  off putting flavour.  I wanted to like them..... :sad:

Did I store the fat too long, & what's the length of time it can be frozen?

I wouldn't have thought the freezing process would have harmed the fat at all - even refrigerated it shouldn't go off in that length of time.

Did you use some of the fat before you froze the rest? if so, how did it taste?

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Were the chunks o' fat sealed really well? Perhaps they got a bit of freezer burn

which would explain that off flavor.

Then again...

If you havent used duck fat before maybe you just dont care for the flavor.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Perhaps they got a bit of freezer burn...

Freezer burn is low-temperature desiccation - there's no water in duck fat to begin with.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

So, if you really want to get to the root of the problem, if you have any of the duck fat left over, and any of the potatoes, cook a potato naked, heat up some of that duck fat, and taste each independently.

Freezing is interesting. If you are using a deep freeze (dedicated freezer), it is one thing. If you are using the freezer that is part of a fridge, there is often "air interchange" which I think leads me to think that if you had something stinky or off in the fridge while the duck fat was freezeing and the duck fat wasn't as sealed as you thought, there could be some "smell" contamination.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

So, if you really want to get to the root of the problem, if you have any of the duck fat left over, and any of the potatoes, cook a potato naked, heat up some of that duck fat, and taste each independently.

Freezing is interesting.  If you are using a deep freeze (dedicated freezer), it is one thing.  If you are using the freezer that is part of a fridge, there is often "air interchange" which I think leads me to think that if you had something stinky or off in the fridge while the duck fat was freezeing and the duck fat wasn't as sealed as you thought, there could be some "smell" contamination.

That might be a decent explanation. Off-flavours in fats are usually caused by oxidation, giving a rancid flavour. This shouldn't really happen in a freezer unless it's being opened all the time and the fat isn't wrapped at all well. It might well be down to cross-contamination.

Allan Brown

If I am going to keep fats any length of time in the fridge, that is why I use jars with metal lids. Fat in plastic can pick up off flavors from the fridge environment pretty quickly. I have learned that the hard way.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Was there a best before date on the container? Even if purchased from a high volume store, duck fat may not move quickly. I would look very carefully at this type of purchase, and probably render my own duck fat from a bird that tasted well, even if frozen.

When I roasted a duck for Christmas, I made a rack out of cinnamon sticks. The rescued duck fat has an amazing cinnamon flavor that is wonderful in making a dressing or even cooking steak.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

But if you're going to cook naked, be sure to wear an apron, as the moisture content in potatoes can make the duck fat splatter and...

oh...

wait...

[Emily Litella]Never mind....[/Emily Litella]

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Perhaps they got a bit of freezer burn...

Freezer burn is low-temperature desiccation - there's no water in duck fat to begin with.

Without knowing the history of the package and how it was handled at the market, we can assume that this is true, but if it's not properly packaged for the freezer, the defrosting/freezing cycles will circulate enough moisture and other stuff that some will settle on the improperly packaged item and off odors will appear. The same goes for improperly packaged or covered items for the fridge.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera