• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oxford, Mississippi

Devotay

Hello all.

I have occasion to be attending a Slow Food conference in Oxford, Mississippi at the end of March. It has come to my attention that there might be a few people there who know a thing or two about barbecue. :rolleyes:

I'm looking for the best local hole-in-wall joints. Flavor, tradition and authenticity are all that matter.

Wouldn't mind hearing about other (non-BBQ) eateries as well

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

I managed to do some foraging around Oxford during October's SFA Symposium. For BBQ try the Handy Andy Grocery and Market. Don't be misled by the name. It's all about BBQ.

I'll second Dean's recommend of Taylor Grocery which, despite its name, is indeed all about Catfish.

Also head to the Beacon Restaurant for breakfast and the Ajax Diner for down home cookin'. The Ajax is on the square, downtown, but easy to miss unless you see the sign on the door.

And if you happen to come across a professor who doesn't really look like a professor, walking about and cradling a bottle of Jack Daniels, follow him. He knows something about eating.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Hey, I live in Oxford. We look forward to having you here. My favorite bbq hereabouts is Westside BBQ -- 25 miles east of here along Hwy 30 in New Albany. Great caramel cake too. Speaking of cake -- and of fried pies -- Buck's One Stop in Calhoun City (20 miles south of here) has wonderful caramel cake.

And if you're thinking bbq, you will be just an hour south of Memphis where Payne's is the place for shoulder sandwiches crowned with mustard slaw and Cozy Corner is the place for ribs.

In town you want to try L & M Kitchen and Salumeria for house-cured salamis and such as well as City Grocery for frog legs wrapped in a caul of coutry ham.

John T

Hello all.

I have occasion to be attending a Slow Food conference in Oxford, Mississippi at the end of March.  It has come to my attention that there might be a few people there who know a thing or two about barbecue. :rolleyes:

I'm looking for the best local hole-in-wall joints.  Flavor, tradition and authenticity are all that matter.

Wouldn't mind hearing about other (non-BBQ) eateries as well

• 3 months later...
How about Ruth and Jimmy's in Abbeville?  It's a classic "meat and three" joint that is well worth the visit.  Very close to Oxford.

Sadly Ruth and Jimmy's closed a couple of years ago (unless it secretly reopened and noone told me...I wish!).