• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Indigo Smoke

lano

We've tried twice, and the wait has discouraged us. Very small place, perhaps 30-35 seats.

It appears they may do take-out, so my next attempt may be takeout if I don't get there early in the week.

Jeans and boots, not fancy.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 2 weeks later...

We got there at 5:45 yesterday, perfect timing.  Two of the 7 or 8 or 9 tables were empty.  15 minutes later there was a line waiting to get in.  It's nothing to knock your socks off, but if you want good inexpensive traditional [kansas city?] barbecue in an unpretentious atmosphere then this joint is for you.  We got the samplers -- the entree sampler and side sampler (good choice glenn).  The home made biscuits and mashed sweet potatoes were outstanding.  Total bill for 2 $40 inc. tax and tip, no dessert. They could (and should) add more tables, apparently the place was originally set up for takeout... though the interior is quite appealing especially the dramatic indigo setting.  byob.

Dessert at Cafe Eclectic across the street cost almost as much as dinner.  Yeesh!  [we felt too guilty to have a leisurely dessert at Indigo with a lineful of 40 eyes glaring at us]. But great chocolate cake and (dare I say) very good espresso.

And I suspect there was a ton of honey in the mashed sweet potatoes.  And there's a health club a few doors down with the exercise machines in full view to make one feel even more guilty. They were closed so we went for dessert at Cafe Eclectic instead [can we nominate that for world's worst name?]

Dessert take-out seems to be on the upswing. In addition to the Verona shop, there's another place in Caldwell called Tastings. Relatively high margin stuff, but who eats dessert during the week? I guess there must be a market of some sort for it.

Both the WCaldwell Shop-Rite and Kings have expanded their takeout dessert presentation / offerings as well.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 3 weeks later...

As a barbecue lover, I made a point of dropping in a couple of weeks ago at lunchtime during the week. It was not at all crowded, and, as other members have noted, very pretty place with friendly staff. Barbecue seemed like the real thing, i.e., smoked, not grilled, and with a good sauce. However, my portion seemed to be meat that was past its prime - not fatty, just kind of old and tired tasting. I was surprised. But I'll give them another try, I guess - maybe I was the one that was old and tired that day.

davidc

BBQ lover - if you are in Bergen County try Finks

finksfunky.net

they use Southern Pride Smoker and this is good stuff

first time i did not like but they have gotten over their growing pains and have great chicken and ribs

We were there last week--it is constantly busy with incredible waits.  Even trying to get "take-out" is difficult as you listen to a busy signal.  But...thought the ribs were quite good--meaty and smoky--6 different sauces on the table--excellent biscuits, beans--smoky with meat in them, and the kids loved the "catfish fingers".  For a chain we were pretty impressed.

Rosie -

does Lance Knowling own both Dave's Famous and Indigo, or did I read your references too broadly?

Thanks

Paul

rancho gordo

Fink's Funky Chicken and Ribs on Kinderkamack Rd in River Edge is REALLY good. As much as I hope Indigo Smoke succeeds, I thought the ribs were much better at Fink's. Thank you, whoever suggested them.

I believe that the meats are smoked much longer at Fink's (5-7 hours for ribs, and longer for the pulled pork), unless they've increased the smoking time at Indigo Smoke. They also had a really good Posole at Fink's today (on the other hand, I wasn't crazy about the bourbon pecan pie).

I went to Indigo Smoke today for the second time.  The first time, I sat down, and had brisket sandwich (good, not great) and an assortment of sides (again, all good, but not great).  Today I stopped in for take-out, and following the suggestions and banter of a close friend, simply ordered two baby-back ribs and the biscuits.  The ribs were really very fine, with a good sauce and nicely smoked -- I am not a fan of things that are highly-smoked, and the biscuits were just so-so.  I felt they had too much salt, and crumbled into an unmanageable pile. 

I would also like to add that I found just a bit off-putting that they did not include a tiny cup of coleslaw or anything else to sort of round out the meal.  Granted, this was take-out, but a small, $.20 garnish may have improved on my overall impression.  I order ribs, and I got ribs.  End of story.

I would and will go back again.  Like I said, good, not great, but it is certainly good enough.

By the way, I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the seating at Fink's Funky Chicken and Ribs is at a counter. I don't think there is any table seating.

Other than that (and I'm not sure this is even a negative for some folks), I think Fink's is worth checking out.

• 2 years later...

Went to Indigo Smoke in Montclair last night. Great food. Service a bit slow, but my husband says that’s to be expected in a BBQ place.

We arrived around 8:20 pm. (Yes, they ARE open on Mondays, despite all the web info I found that says they aren’t!). Several couples waiting in the comfy waiting area, but they were mostly waiting for their take out orders. Were seated by 8:45 - ordered by 9:00 and served by 9:20 or so.

Started with their house blended spiced iced tea , unsweetened, but pretty good once I got used to the cinnamon/nutmeg(?) taste.

I ordered the fried chicken ($9) - 4 pieces coated in an herb crusted, parmesan coating, very crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. Husband went for the BBQ sampler ($18). It was supposed to include ribs, BBQ chicken, sausage and pulled pork, but about 10 mins after ordering, the waitress came back to tell us they were out of BBQ chicken, did we want to subsitute something else? Hubby asked for a second helping of the sausage.We also ordered the Sides sampler (6 items for $14) - Mac & cheese (smooth creamy, and I loved the piece of cheese on the top); potato salad (also creamy and very tasty); bacon hash browns - tasty and different; baked beans (I don’t do baked beans, but my hubby loved them!); Indigo crispy fries (large seasoned steak fries - very crispy on outside and soft inside, delish!), cole slaw - I don’t usually eat cole slaw, but this was fantastic... I was fighting my husband for every bite.!

Also ordered biscuits - several people on this board mentioned how great they were, but no one mentioned the SIZE of them - like hamburger roll- size!

Finished off the wonderful meal by sharing a blueberry cobbler. Took home leftovers and finally rolled out of there around 10 pm. <g>

We definitely plan to go back - Husband asked how long they’d been open, (about 2 years) and then told the waitress he’s sorry he didn’t visit earlier!

Unfortunately, they do not yet have their own website.