• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Food slow in coming, but...

jmcnally

I've been eager for the Slow Food organization to set up chapters here in Canada and although I don't know who's responsible, www.slowfood.ca promises to come to life this year.

Does anyone know anything about this? This would be wonderful!!

A quick search at www.whois.ca provided the following:

"SLOWFOOD.CA" is registered.

Domain Name: slowfood.ca (986430)

Last Modified: 2004/05/22

Expires: 2005/05/20

Registrant: Slow Food (983434)

Theresa Lafleche theresa@lafleche.net (978860)

604-642-4166

Technical:  theresa@lafleche.net (978861)

ns1.rdns6.net 69.93.253.164

ns2.rdns6.net 69.93.253.165

Not encouraging that it's been registered since 2002 and expires in May. Surely there should be enough interest in Canada for this to take off?

Slow Food has had a rough go here in Toronto. There are only a few individuals here who are involved. The problem is with gathering enough interest from the general public.

The first step anyone should do is join Slowfood at www.slowfood.com. Just apply online. Then search out who the convivium leader is and contact them (this is easy enough to do on the web site).

The second step is to get as many people joining as possible. I think some times it is shamelful how little the people of Toronto care about Slowfood. There is always a little spike of interest at least once a year, then everyone usually has other things to do, and forget all about it.

Take some time to look at slowfood.com, and see what other conviviums are doing around the world. What Toronto really needs is someone willing to organize events on a regular basis to get the Toronto members involved more.

Slow Food is alive and well in Western Canada with one of the fastest growing groups in the world being part of the Vancouver Island Convivium, with its members including some of the top restauranteurs on the Island. With Peter Zambri of Zambri's and Sinclair Philips of the Sooke Harbour House both being actively involved we have many scheduled dinners, discussions and get togethers. This is an outstanding group that I have been a member of for 2 years now, and it is worth joining just for the books that arrive quarterly, that for people who enjoy egullet and are 'foodies' they will get huge benefits from the books. Hurry fast and join Slow! haha!

hodge-podge, should I join at slowfood.com or at the US site, slowfoodusa.org? The membership dues are pricier at slowfood.com, but it looks like you get more of their publications. The US site claims that most of the membership dues are tax-deductible (but in the US only?). Confusing...

hodge-podge, should I join at slowfood.com or at the US site, slowfoodusa.org? The membership dues are pricier at slowfood.com, but it looks like you get more of their publications. The US site claims that most of the membership dues are tax-deductible (but in the US only?). Confusing...

What I find confusing, is at Slowfood.com Canadian membership is a part of the Australia/New Zealand membership. One would think that if they were to lump Canadian membership in with another country it'd be with the US. $30 Euro for myself is a bit pricey, especially since a lot of its publications are mainly about Australia.

-- Jason

There is another option, for membership in "Other Countries" (you have to choose "next" on the first page of products). It's 50 Euros (vs. 55 for the Australian membership) and it says you get 5 issues of the magazine plus one of the wine magazine SloWine (of interest to me) and one of SlowArk. This seems like the better deal, actually, if it's "allowed".

Thanks, hodge-podge, for the email address. I've emailed and will post any relevant info from the reply here....

You are right about it taking time to get some momentum ...Niagara has a few members..there have been a few events in Southern Ontario.....in fact , one of the editors from Italy was here doing a farm tour (3 yrs back now )and spent the afternoon with me touring around and showed some interest in both the food and wine ....but..alas...not a real big push still...

What's that Mickey Rooney movie when they put on a show in a barn...

I had one of those visions for a second..

"Hey you guys....I've got a stove, everyone here cooks for a living, and look at all these ingredients....lets just put on an event here in the field"

:huh:

That actually isn't such a bad idea....

I just heard from Theresa Lafleche who coordinates the website for the very active Vancouver group (convivium) of Slow Food aficionados. She pointed me to a useful page on their website:

http://www.slowfoodvancouver.com/index.php...ivia_in_canada/

It appears that there are a lot of local groups but not much national coordination. But this is a great help.

• 4 weeks later...

There has been a chapter of Slow Food in Ottawa for several years. Membership is available through the international website. I know that the chapter has gone through an organizational shake up but has emerged with a fairly strong group of committed members.

I recieve updates of Ottawa/Gatineau slow food events, and meetings via this address.

joannelarose@rogers.com.

Hope this helps.