• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starbucks tastes like burnt dirt to me...

bottomlesspit

Of all the die-hard (or at least mildly addicted) coffee drinkers I know, I think I'm the only one who doesn't like Starbucks.

I find all of the roasts that I've tried to date to be over-roasted to my palate - bitter without being rounded and strong but not full-bodied. And since I have no use for the foo-foo stuff (the most I ever add to my joe is cream and sugar), I generally have no use for Starbucks unless it's 2pm and I'm jonesing for caffeine, and the only coffee in sight is Starbucks.

I might get flamed for this, but I can honestly say I'd take a cup of strong Folgers to a cup of Starbucks.

Am I just a freak? (Please keep discussion to coffee issues - my freakishness in other arenas is off topic. :smile: )

sg

There is a long starbucks thread in the coffee forum, but I will chime in here.

Personally, the one thing most people find nice about Starbucks, the quality control and predictability, is what I hate most about it. To me, a coffee shop should be an adventure. I want to go into a little hole in the wall, see a menu written in colored chalk on a blackboard, have no idea what kind of cup my order will come in, what will be availible, or what unique twist the place will put on the taste of it. Sometimes it sucks, surely, but sometimes it is sublime, but never boring.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

The evil flavor of StarBurnt's coffee is a common topic here, not to mention being charged $$$ and required to use embarrassing language to purchase it.

"I'll have a Mucho Grande Frappa Zombie with Mocha Blondie please!"

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I find all of the roasts that I've tried to date to be over-roasted to my palate - bitter without being rounded and strong but not full-bodied. 

If you search the coffee threads here you'll find quite a few people who agree with you about that, myself included.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I find all of the roasts that I've tried to date to be over-roasted to my palate - bitter without being rounded and strong but not full-bodied. 

If you search the coffee threads here you'll find quite a few people who agree with you about that, myself included.

Thanks. I was kindly and gently reminded by our moderator that there exists a Coffee and Tea forum. I shall work on properly categorizing my posts in the future. [insert contrite smilie]

sg