• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anybody Serving Osso Buco in BC?

PaoPao

The only time I have ever seen my wife order a full dinner, eat it in it's entirety, then order the exact same thing and eat it again was in Rome. We we're at a street cafe and she ordered Oso Buco.

Served very basic with just the shank and a marinara sauce; I have to agree with her, it was awesome. Meat barely clinging to the bone, and the marrow was just amazing.

Any similar or different marrow dishes being served in restaurants in B.C.?

It's hard to go wrong with the Osso Buco at Villa del Lupo, in fact they are probably the best slow cookers in the city.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Nice Osso Buco at Villa del Lupo on Hamilton. Mario Batali has a good recipe for it (and Risotto Milanese, the classic companion) in one of his cookbooks, though, and I was able to do it well, so it can't be that hard...try making it yourself!

Edit: Oop, I was too slow.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

When the Macaroni Grill first opened its doors in Victoria, it surprisingly offered osso buco on their menu. It was dynamite and was the only reason to go there for alot of us over on the island. Sadly, it has disappeared (the dish not the restaurant), from their menu.

At present, we in Victoria are being slowly and effectively snowed in. Osso buco in another couple of hours would be welcome comfort indeed.

I have made the osso buco from the Saveur Cooks Authentic Italian cookbook to great success.

Mmmmm, now that visions of osso buco dance in my head, I may to face the elements and stock up on provisions. How far will you go for veal shanks?

Shelora

i'd drive to the butcher's and make it myself :)

Osso Bucco is really an easy dish to prepare.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

It's hard to go wrong with the Osso Buco at Villa del Lupo, in fact they are probably the best slow cookers in the city.

I heartily concur with 2roost's endorsement of this hearty chestnut of Italian cookery. Julio's way with the braised bone, in this case Jurrasic-sized whole lamb shanks (as opposed to hockey puck portions sawn from the hind legs of oppressed veals), deliver servings adequate to fuel Italian lumberjacks or their equivalent.

There are several key items in his braising arsenal that I think separate Sr. Gonzalez-Perini's osso buco from the pack:

1. The braise has soothing notes of cinammon;

2. He doesn't merely ladle the braising liquid over the shanks, but rather reduces it into a properly rich sauce;

3. His gremolata topping (finely diced garlic, lemon zest and flat leaf parsley) is a sunny fedora;

4. While the dimensions are huge, the price ($27) is not.

5. The risotto, whether classic Milanese or the lemon-basil, are models of their class.

J.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I heartily concur with 2roost's endorsement of this hearty chestnut of Italian cookery. Julio's way with the braised bone, in this case Jurrasic-sized whole lamb shanks (as opposed to hockey puck portions sawn from the hind legs of oppressed veals), deliver servings adequate to fuel Italian lumberjacks or their equivalent.

There are several key items in his braising arsenal that I think separate Sr. Gonzalez-Perini's osso buco from the pack:

1. The braise has soothing notes of cinammon;

2. He doesn't merely ladle the braising liquid over the shanks, but rather reduces it into a properly rich sauce;

3. His gremolata topping (finely diced garlic, lemon zest and flat leaf parsley) is a sunny fedora;

4. While the dimensions are huge, the price ($27) is not.

5. The risotto, whether classic Milanese or the lemon-basil, are models of their class.

J.

Oh man, we are so there! Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

The only time I have ever seen my wife order a full dinner, eat it in it's entirety, then order the exact same thing and eat it again was in Rome.  We we're at a street cafe and she ordered Oso Buco. 

Served very basic with just the shank and a marinara sauce; I have to agree with her, it was awesome.  Meat barely clinging to the bone, and the marrow was just amazing.

Any similar or different marrow dishes being served in restaurants in B.C.?

I can only mention one restaurant in which I had a decent Osso Buco, and it was at Piccolo Mondo Restaurant in Vancouver. I found it expensive but typical for a northern Italian style cuisine. Other than that I too would like to know what Italian restaurants in Vancouver are worth going to?? Something good old, simple, tratoria style (ie Mastro Roberto (Woodbridge Ontario) :raz:

Tried Villa del Lupo last night.

We ordered the Cream of Artichoke soup, their baby romaine with crispy procuitto, two orders of Osso Bucco, French beans, Garlic mashed potatoes and a Bread Pudding to share. :wub:

It was too much so we could only finish about half of everything and took the rest home.

We also heard a rumour that Section (3) has a marrow dish. We will investigate.... :cool:

We ordered the Cream of Artichoke soup, their baby romaine with crispy procuitto, two orders of Osso Bucco, French beans, Garlic mashed potatoes and a Bread Pudding to share.  :wub:

And???? :huh: What did you think? Aparently you and your wife didn't finish the meal ... but did it measure up?

Back to looking for two platypae and two giraffes and two crocodiles ...

A.

We ordered the Cream of Artichoke soup, their baby romaine with crispy procuitto, two orders of Osso Bucco, French beans, Garlic mashed potatoes and a Bread Pudding to share.  :wub:

And???? :huh: What did you think? Aparently you and your wife didn't finish the meal ... but did it measure up?

Back to looking for two platypae and two giraffes and two crocodiles ...

A.

Great, just what I'm in the mood for, a smart a** who wants more info but can't ask for it nicely.

Just for you Daddy-A, we thought it was very :wub: ! Or G-O-O-D since that gives you trouble.

If your asking did it measure up to our meal in Rome? No, that was still much better.

Another Costco Accolade ....

Last time we we're at the Richmond Costco I bought a box that contained two cooked and marinated Lamb Shanks.

After the beautiful dinner last night at Villa del Lupo and ordering the Osso Buco, I thought I would throw these in the oven for dinner and try 'em out to compare.

Have to report they were very tasty and tender! On the box is the company name Cardinal. Super easy to cook as well and as I remember approx. $17. Cooking time was only 30 min. So check them out if you like this type of dish .... :wink:

Our two, 3 month old puppies are now enjoying the reminents, :laugh: which is an added bonus by giving our moulding a break from their teething.