• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A year of Italian cooking

Kevin72

With extended cold weather finally upon the Dallas area, I took the opportunity over the weekend to make the heavyweight of Friuli soups, La Jota. We had some last night.

La Jota consists of beans, potatoes, lots o' pork, and sauerkraut.

What consistently amazes me about the cooking of Friuli-Venezia-Giulia is the number of unusual flavor combinations. Chocolate gnocchi? Sauerkraut soup? Ewwww. But they all work in wonderful, subtle ways. From my observations at least, next to Sicily, I'd say Friuli has the most distinctive use of exotic and unusual flavors.

You cook the soup in stages and in a number of separate pots: the beans soak and then simmer, the sauerkraut cooks down for a while with smoked pork (I just used bacon), and the meat is blanched separately to leech out some of its fat. I use a half-rack of pork spareribs and simmer it until the bones easily slide out, then shred the meat. Then you cook everything together for an hour or two with peeled potatoes. Traditionally you stir in a little polenta at the end to thicken the soup. Instead, I serve it with cornbread (to make sure I'm offending traditions on both sides of the Atlantic, the cornbread is sweetened!).

gallery_19696_582_1106018183.jpg

If there's any dish to try to make from Friuli, I'd say this is the one. Despite the sauerkraut, it tastes instantly, classically familiar when you try it. The 'kraut gets a little sweet as it cooks down with the bacon, and its lingering tartness helps cut the fat and richness in the soup.

What consistently amazes me about the cooking of Friuli-Venezia-Giulia is the number of unusual flavor combinations.  Chocolate gnocchi?  Sauerkraut soup?  Ewwww.  But they all work in wonderful, subtle ways.  From my observations at least, next to Sicily, I'd say Friuli has the most distinctive use of exotic and unusual flavors.

Good point. One reason could be that both Sicily and Friuli are cultural and culinary melting pots. In Friuli you have a the contact of Slavic, Austrian (or Austro-Hungarian), and North-Eastern Italian cooking. Add to that the relative isolation of some of the valleys and hence their peculiar cuisine and you have a unique mix. What is amazing is how such delicious dishes evolved from this possible mess :smile: .

I'd add Sardinia to Sicily and Friuli, at least when it comes to distinctive, unique cuisine. Maybe not as exotic though.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Plotkin really goes into this in his somewhat ponderous (110 pages?!!!!) intro in Terra Fortunata. Trieste was the foremost edge of the Dalmatians and various other Empire's trading arms so you have all the spices coming in and distributed out. There's also he says a huge Greek community in Trieste, which is where the use of feta in some sauces comes in from.

Edit: Sardinia seems to me the supreme example of "isolation" in Italian cooking. The best descriptions I've read of it is that it has been "ruled but never conquered"--various countries have laid claim to it before but haven't made inroads into it the way Sicily has. Thus the cooking styles remain untouched through the years and you have the height of rustic cooking: alot of spit and open fire roasting recipes turn up in the books I've read. And yeah, you can't get much more "distinctive" than maggot cheese! :biggrin:

Edited by Kevin72 (log)

I had no idea the Friuli cusine was so Slavic-German. I'm completely fascinated by how local cuisines evolve. Please keep the history lessons coming along with the food! That soup looks like something my Polish grandmother used to make. That soup also looks likes something I would enjoy right about now..!

ciao!

I had no idea the Friuli cusine was so Slavic-German. I'm completely fascinated by how local cuisines evolve.  Please keep the history lessons coming along with the food!  That soup looks like something my Polish grandmother used to make. That soup also looks likes something I would enjoy right about now..!

ciao!

Friuli was a real eye-opener for me, too, when I came across it. I was getting kind of bored and arrogant in my Italian cooking, thinking I had "learned it all", and then I'm reading a regional book and they have a chapter on Friuli, and there's sauerkraut soup, and gnocchi stuffed with plums . . . Since then I too have been utterly fascinated with the concept of "border cooking". Hell it's even made me appreciate Tex-Mex a little more!

Friuli was a real eye-opener for me, too, when I came across it. I was getting kind of bored and arrogant in my Italian cooking, thinking I had "learned it all", and then I'm reading a regional book and they have a chapter on Friuli, and there's sauerkraut soup, and gnocchi stuffed with plums . . . Since then I too have been utterly fascinated with the concept of "border cooking".  Hell it's even made me appreciate Tex-Mex a little more!

Kevin,

I couldn't help but smile reading your comment. It really hits what Italian ciusines are in a nutshell. We have so many lingredients, dishes, customs that are limited to extremely small areas that it would take more than a lifetime to really know them all.

I've been living most of my life in Campania for example, yet I always manage to find something new, be it a new recipe, a variation on a classic or a new ingredient, whenever I travel through the region. It never stops amazing me. In a sense that's bot the strength and weakness of Italian cuisine. It can be extremely stimulating to the food-curious person but can be damn confusing for just the same reason.

Edit: Sardinia seems to me the supreme example of "isolation" in Italian cooking. The best descriptions I've read of it is that it has been "ruled but never conquered"--various countries have laid claim to it before but haven't made inroads into it the way Sicily has. Thus the cooking styles remain untouched through the years and you have the height of rustic cooking: alot of spit and open fire roasting recipes turn up in the books I've read. And yeah, you can't get much more "distinctive" than maggot cheese!

I think the supreme isolation factor is truer of the inland. On the coast you have a lot of influence from the various rulers who treid to conquer the island. This ends up in a few interesting twists: the island of San Pietro and its only city, Carloforte, for example have a cuisine that keeps the traditon of the Genovesi who established a colony here four centuries ago. The rustic definition hits the spot, though Srdinian cuisine can be extremely baroque at times, especially with its sweets.

Oh "maggot cheese"! Delicious. . . maybe I should tel the story of how I was tricked into eating this sometime :smile: .

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

I've been living most of my life in Campania for example, yet I always manage to find something new, be it a new recipe, a variation on a classic or a new ingredient, whenever I travel through the region. It never stops amazing me. In a sense that's bot the strength and weakness of Italian cuisine. It can be extremely stimulating to the food-curious person but can be damn confusing for just the same reason.

I agree that the regionality can be confusing. While it is important of course to understand the addage that there is no "true" Italian cuisine and that region, microregions, and even villages can differ sharply in traditions, it is confounding I think to start at that point. I found it better to start large with the general understanding of the old "Northern vs. Southern" distinction and go from there, peeling back more layers of understanding and going deeper the more I learned. Now when I put together a regional dish it's not even enough to have it be all from the same region, but I even make sure it's from the same town! :biggrin:

As an example of this, I got a regional Spanish cookbook at Christmas and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it since I don't have that base understanding of Spanish style and culture yet.

Alberto: no fair! You cannot leave us hanging.... how did you get tricked into eating maggot cheese??! :unsure::wacko::wink:

As far as microcosm cusine: I don't think that is at all restricted to Italy. Look at U.S cusine for one example: how many ways are there to make barbecue? Once you start to look closely there will always be differences from house to house and town to town. And I say: Viva la difference!

Alberto: no fair! You cannot leave us hanging.... how did you get tricked into eating maggot cheese??!  :unsure:  :wacko:  :wink:

Ok, I promise I'll post more about that as soon as I have a little time, this week end probably. Would that be fair? :biggrin:

As far as microcosm cusine: I don't think that is at all restricted to Italy. Look at U.S cusine for one example: how many ways are there to make barbecue? Once you start to look closely there will always be differences from house to house and town to town. And I say: Viva la difference!

Sure, microcosm cuisine applies to every country and to me it's one of the most fascinating aspects ofany culture. And yet, I still haven't found another country in Europe (I cannot speak of other continents) where the differences can be so extreme at so little distance, as they are in Italy, though Spain and Portugal might come close at times.

I absolutely agree. In fact since large swaths of V-F-G belonged at one time or another to neighboring countries it's just as much a tribute to their regionality as it is to Italy's.

While regionality certainly exists in the US and barbecue is a prime example, as is the Napa valley region, I must say you really don't have such sharp micro-level distinctions as you would find elsewhere. For instance in going from Venice to Verona, the food changed almost entirely from the light elegant seafood dishes of Venice to robust rib-sticking fare in Verona. And how far apart are they? Maybe 100 k? Regionality is certainly coming back into style in our cooking, and something I'm getting into in ideas of U.S. cooking, but I doubt it will ever get to the level of "Austin" cooking vs. "Dallas" cooking vs. "Houston" cooking--we don't have centuries of rooted populations and traditions to draw from.

Regionality is certainly coming back into style in our cooking, and something I'm getting into in ideas of U.S. cooking, but I doubt it will ever get to the level of "Austin" cooking vs. "Dallas" cooking vs. "Houston" cooking--we don't have centuries of rooted populations and traditions to draw from.

Good Point. The U.S. population certainly does not have the roots that Europe or Asia. (Asia being a good example of regional differences in cuisine.)

Some of my latest exploits:

Shrimp with polenta. gallery_19696_582_1106571672.jpg

Pretty straightforward: There's much more austere recipes out there where you top polenta with sauteed shrimp. I made a little reduction sauce of chicken broth, white wine and shrimp shells simmered together, then topped it with ample paprika. My wife is really getting good at identifying regionality: she said this brought to mind the cevapcici meal, which was dead on since both are Trieste-influenced.

Sunday's meal:

Orzotto with mushrooms in the foreground; patate en teccia in the background.

gallery_19696_582_1106572889.jpg

Orzotto is barley made in the risotto style. Mixed in were shitake mushrooms, shredded carrot, celery, and shallot. It took longer than risotto does, however: I'd say 45 minutes compared to the 25 or so with risotto. But the barley was pretty old I think.

I'm not sure what the direct translation of "en teccia" is. You melt some onions in a pan and then stir in crumbled cooked potato and a little stock. Then you cook it slowly, slowly, slowly until a crust forms on the bottom layer. Ease it out onto a plate and flip it back over into the pan and crust that side as well. Mine of course fell apart but you still had that good crusty flavor in there.

For the main, chicken braised in sauerkraut.

gallery_19696_582_1106572671.jpg

Lidia Bastianich in Cucina di Lidia gives a similar recipe only with duck.

Also made, but not pictured, was paparot, a spinach soup thickened with a little polenta. It doesn't sound like much but it is very nourishing.

Getting down to the final week for Friuli and there's a lot I still haven't made! I have ideas but we will certainly be eating lots of leftovers into February.

Edited by Kevin72 (log)

Sunday's meal:

Orzotto with mushrooms in the foreground; patate en teccia in the background.

gallery_19696_582_1106572889.jpg

Orzotto is barley made in the risotto style.  Mixed in were shitake mushrooms, shredded carrot, celery, and shallot.  It took longer than risotto does, however: I'd say 45 minutes compared to the 25 or so with risotto.  But the barley was pretty old I think. 

I'm not sure what the direct translation of "en teccia" is.

Nice dishes, they really make me hungry :smile: .

If I remember correctly in tecia simply means cooked in a pot. Haven't made these in ages, thanks for reminding me. A good addition to any meal on a snowy winter day.

The orzotto cooking time seems quite standard to me. Just curious would you do cook it again, or do you think you'll stick to risotto in the future?

I liked it and it's a refreshing change of pace from risotto. I always feel like barley's this as-yet-undiscovered-by-me grain that I don't do enough with. I made a barley and clam dish last spring with lots of celery and lemon zest that was pretty good.

But I'd have to give the edge still to risotto.

I am so sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. My Italian heritage is Friulana and following your adventure has been delightul. I was there in October and we had a very delicious meal with components I think you should really try.

1. Morchje (sp?) which is milk solids gently browned and served over polenta usually with a mushroom ragout.

2. If you had muset did you eat brovade? brovade is a variation on saurkraut but made with white turnips.

3. Fartaia cun les urties - and I don't know why I mentioned it because you wil never get the "urties" greens and herbs required.

4. Young goose slow braised in 100 herbs.

5. Kiffi and horseshoe shaped riced potato fritter (sweet)

6. Crostoli??????

7. sausages- either the rib meat variety or the offal variety lightly roasted and slow braised in whole milk!

you're making me some hngry! and nostalgic!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Thank you for the input, Bernaise. I'm afraid that with just 30 days I've only scratched the surface and this is the first time I'm hearing about many of the dishes you posted (particularly the goose dish). I've really learned alot about Friuli this past month and I'm glad it's put me out of my comfort zone, as it were, in Italian cooking. Lots of stuff I wouldn't have even tried if it weren't for this little yearlong quest.

I've contemplated brovada but don't have the grape must to pickle it in and I'm afraid I'm not much for canning things. But I haven't done the turnip justice, that's for sure. It will definitely be a contorno in one of the last meals I make.

The latest few dinners:

Chilled mussels with pepper vinaigrette

gallery_19696_582_1106795832.jpg

For the main we had steamed salmon with a ginger vinaigrette, and a pickled onion and cucumber salad (went heavy on the vinegar that night I guess). Salmon isn't an indiginous ingredient to the area (the recipe is given for monkfish), but I thought the recipe would work well and it did.

While the majority of F-V-G is landlocked, around Trieste there's a number of interesting seafood dishes and I regret I haven't done too many of them. This meal was an attempt at a remedy.

Other meals:

Last night I made knodel, a gnocchi made from rye bread that has been cut up and soaked in milk, then mixed with flour, butter, sauteed onions and speck, and eggs. While I've seen the recipes other places, in Plotkin's book, they are sauced with a cucumber "ragu" and I just had to try it. Very interesting flavor interplays. The only thing I'd change is that Plotkin calls for them to be a rather ungainly size, a little bigger than a golf ball (and you only serve 2-3 per person). I'd like to do them smaller for a more delicate texture but I wonder if their large size is part of why they stay together so well--I had attempted them before as a smaller size and they fell apart. Anyways, they weren't terribly photogenic so no pics.

Another meal, and one of the simplest, was grilled polenta, draped with a slice of prosciutto San Daniele and sauced with ricotta, milk, sour cream, and scallions that had been cooked together in a double boiler.

Last night I made knodel, a gnocchi made from rye bread that has been cut up and soaked in milk, then mixed with flour, butter, sauteed onions and speck, and eggs.  While I've seen the recipes other places, in Plotkin's book, they are sauced with a cucumber "ragu" and I just had to try it.  Very interesting flavor interplays. The only thing I'd change is that Plotkin calls for them to be a rather ungainly size, a little bigger than a golf ball (and you only serve 2-3 per person).  I'd like to do them smaller for a more delicate texture but I wonder if their large size is part of why they stay together so well--I had attempted them before as a smaller size and they fell apart.  Anyways, they weren't terribly photogenic so no pics.

Kevin,

I learned to make standard knodel with speck and chives (replacing onion), or canederli as they're called in Italian, from my uncle who's from Trentino. I didn't know they were a common item in FVG too. My recipe calls for one or two day old white bread, but rye is probably more traditional. Anyway there are so many recipes for knodel in Trentino-Sudtyrol it is hard to speak of one authentic recipe: you've got Leberknodel (with liver), Graukäseknödel (made mixing Graukäse to the mass), etc .

Don't know if size's the problem in keeping them together, I never tried anything smaller than a baseball (neither bigger to be honest). I was told that the best way to see if the mass has the right firmness is to try poaching one first and see how it holds. If it breaks apart or looses a bit of "crumbles" on the outside the addition of one or more tablespoons of flour can help. The other trick is to squueze the heck out of the bread.

They also had chives in addition to the onions, forgot to list that.

I was so paranoid about cooking them since last time I tried them I ended up with a pot of water with bread floating in it. So I cooked it exactly as Plotkin said, and indeed did test one first. I just found that it got a little tedious eating something of that size: once you get to the middle it's just too much bread and they soak up so much sauce.

I've seen the canederli variation with liver before. I'm guessing knodel is the dialectical variation for FVG, again reflecting the Austro-Hungarian roots. Plotkin gives the recipe names first in standard Italian--he listed these as gnocchi di pane--then in parentheses if they have a Furlan name, and knodel was it for these.

I'm completely at a loss on the Furlan pronunciations, btw, and that's something that for all the research Plotkin put into his book, a pronunciation key and/or translation guide at the end would have helped. How hard is it to get by in Friuli if you just speak standard Italian?

I'm completely at a loss on the Furlan pronunciations, btw, and that's something that for all the research Plotkin put into his book, a pronunciation key and/or translation guide at the end would have helped. How hard is it to get by in Friuli if you just speak standard Italian?

Everyone except maybe old people who grew up in the more isolated valleys speaks Italian nowadays. I had a very good school friend coming from Buttrio, near Udine, who spoke Furlan at home, yet every time I visited everyone in his family switched to Italian without loosing a beat.

BTW Knödel is the Austrin and Bavarian name for Canederli. I would suppose canederli is just the italianized version of Knödel.

Oooh, I couldn't not post this tonight! I was particularly pleased with this one.

This is pretty much an exact ripoff of a Molto Mario episode from Friuli.

Strudel stuffed with pork goulash. Sauteed apples with scallions and rum. Turnips with slivovitz.

gallery_19696_582_314748.jpg

The strudel was store-bought: pastry isn't my deal and it looked way too labor intensive. But I had heard good things about the reliability of store-bought strudel dough and this worked quite well. The strudel is even brushed with egg and sugar, so it was a sweet crust around this savory filling, though the goulash was laced with cinnamon and cloves, so the flavors went quite well.

The liquors I used for the contorni aren't exactly Friulani, I apologize. The apple dish was a little too sweet for my tastes. The original recipe called for red wine and cinnamon but on a lark I used the spiced rum instead.

Very pleased.

The concluding meal from Friuli-Venezia-Giulia from Sunday. I'm still tinkering with the camera so the pics I took all turned out blurry.

Antipasto: Raddichio and speck wallets. This is a repeat from the antipasti meal I started the month with, only now with speck instead of Prosciutto San Daniele. It was one of my favorite dishes and my parents were over for the weekend so I thought it'd be a good appetite stimulant.

Primo: Gnocchi di Susinne--Gnocchi stuffed with prunes (normally plums). Sauced with butter, cinnamon, breadcrumbs, and some of the braising liquid from the secondo. Another of the great sweet/savory combinations from FVG.

Secondo: Beef shanks in "squazett" (sp?). I adapted a recipe for venison from Marleni di Blasi's book Regional Foods of Northern Italy. The shanks were marinated in red wine, juniper, cloves, onion, and ginger, then seared and braised in the marinade. The sauce reduces, darkens, and takes on a nearly bitter flavor. Then you make a second sauce (rare in Italian from my experience) of currants, sugar, and red wine. The sweet/tart currant compote really cuts the rich, deep flavors of the braise.

Incidentally, the term "squazett" is a prime example of micro-regional differences in terminology. In Cucina di Lidia, Lidia Bastianich says that in Istria squazett referred to a meat (most often game) braised with tomatoes, rosemary, and juniper. Plotkin gives a recipe for squazett in his book (and he does note the regional differences in the word) that is basically the currant or prune compote I used.

Contorno: Zucca al forno--baked stuffed squash. Stuffed with mushrooms, the squash meat, scallions, breadcrumbs, cheese, and marjoram.

Dolce: Gubana--a baked pastry (I used phyllo) rolled around a stuffing of mixed nuts, dried fruit, several liquors, cinnamon, chocolate and egg whites. Very rich and almost a little too dry for my tastes. First few bites are good but you're struggling by the end.

So that's it for Friuli. I really enjoyed it and there's a few dishes that I didn't even get to, so in some ways it's sad to see it go. But in cooking this way I am forced to try dishes and ingredients I normally wouldn't have gotten to for several years; I even come around to liking dill, a flavor I had convinced myself I didn't like long ago. Again, I am constantly amazed at the use of spices and different, seemingly contrasting ingredients and cooking styles, yet as with much of Italian cooking, they are used with such a delicate hand that the dishes turn out far more subtle than one would expect. It is truly one of the most unique and exotic cooking styles of Italy and I can see why those in the culinary world are presently doting upon it as the next "in" spot.

Comments on dishes I've missed? Other recipes from this region? (Bernaise, I'd particularly like a recipe for the goose with 100 herbs dish you mentioned).

For February, the region I'll be cooking from is The Veneto.

The Veneto is one of those regions like Latzio and Campania that tends to be dominated by its best-known city, in this case, Venice. Most of the cookbooks I have that devote recipes to the Veneto use Venice as their primary resource. There is a cookbook called Veneto by Julia de la Croce but it has become quite hard to find and I regret not snapping it up last time I did see it. So, I'll try to cook from other cities and areas in the Veneto but much of my cooking will gravitate to Venice.

Complicating this is that Lent starts next week. My wife and I use Lent as an excuse to do a bit of a diet and give up sugar and land-based meat, so alot of the great game and fowl dishes of the marshlands and mountains will unfortunately be left out. Any good vegetarian recipes from the Veneto would be welcome.

I have had the pleasure of being to Venice and Verona, in October 2003 for our honeymoon. Venice was, as so many have said, purely magical. Verona was probably the place where in our winning-the-lottery fantasies, we'd most want to live. I'll be trying to approximate several of the meals we had on that trip.

Other resources I'll be using for this month's cooking:

The Da Fiore Cookbook

The Cooking of Venice

Molto Mario Episodes

Marlena di Blasi's section on Veneto in Regional Foods of Northern Italy

As always, discussion on experiences in travelling and cooking in this region is welcome. Any must-have dishes?

Ciao Kevin!

As it happens, I'm in Venice right now! :biggrin:

Friends took us to a very small restaurant on the "Assasin Street"....I'll get a card and accurate name tommorow, and it was excellent!

Many vegitarian anti pasto dishes were on the table when we sat down:

Belgian endive and walnuts and ...someother vegetable

Potatoes, truffles, rucola (very mashed potato texture..excellent)

Spinachi con cipolla

And a boiled meat and caper dish that was my favorite.

I was thinking of you during dinner as the flavors and foods tasted nearly Germanic. This is my first trip to Venezia so I have no idea if this is typical or not.

If I see any good cookbooks...I'll let you know!