• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2000 Shafer Relentless

GordonCooks

In keeping with my New Year’s resolution to record more TN’s

Inky in color, loads of black fruit on the nose that barely eeked by all the alcohol. Very forward with blackberry and cherry and more ‘woody” than “oakey” on the sides with chewy tannins in the middle. Tasted like a D’Arenberg to me. I should have liked this wine more than I did – curse my ever-changing palate

I've tasted the 2000 Relentless and also the 1999 (?) and in both cases I found them to be massive and almost uncomfortable to drink. Perhaps they will evolve into something pleasureable with some bottle age, but I'm doubtful they will ever please my palate. Also, as I was tasting these wines, I kept asking myself what food I was would pair with it and couldn't answer that question.

This is not intended as a criticism of the wine nor those who find it tasty...just not a style I enjoy these days.

Redwinger

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

Gordon, I am a bit confused by your use of Meritage. Were you under the impression that this wine is a Bordeaux blend? It is, in fact, varietally syrah, with a good dollop of petite sirah. If you were using Meritage in some other context, pardon the ring.

I tasted the '99 a few years ago and, like Bill, found it undrinkable. Just too much for my finesse-craving palate. I knew then that unless I heard about something drastically different in the winemaking approach, it would remain a wine I didn't need to track.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

IIRC, the wine is a blend of syrah and petit sirah. I had the 1999 two years ago (had it twice) and it was (as Redwinger commented -- and he had it with me) a difficult wine to drink.

I've not had the oppotrunity to try any with age on them, but my fear is that the fruit would fade quickly and there'd be lots of wood for whatever was left in the wine to compete with.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero