• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casual dining in Aix

Boo

Spouse is heading to Aix for a business trip next week and is looking for suggestions for casual dining, French or any other ethnic cuisines, where one could dine alone, and not too $$$. Staying close to the Cours Mirabeau. Thanks!

Last summer, we enjoyed a casual lunch at Le Bistro Latin, 18 rue de la Couronne, not far off the Cour Mirabeau. Very well-priced provencal menus for lunch and dinner. It's a small place with one room on the main level and a cozy cellar room below.

Les Fréres Lani, rue Leydet

Chez Gu et Fils rue F. Mistral but I read since being mentiond in a year in Provence, the prices are not as inexpensive.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Today, in his “Croque Notes” Francois Simon mentions a resto near Aix, les Sarments in Puyloubier, where the full menu is 28 € or 22 € for a main and a dessert - it stresses the point that this is not grand pretentious food but friendly stuff. It’s run by Jean-Sebastien Gentil who passed through several fine kitchens and Simon gives a long list of dishes that he offers that sound interesting, excepting the desserts, which he describes as “banal” – see the details in the article. I've been there many years ago - it was a nice place.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 months later...

We will be in Aix-en-Provence for three weeks in May. We have rented an apartment on the Cours Mirabeau and will make daily forages through the markets. About 10 years ago, I bought a huge panier of vegetables from a seller as the market in Apt was closing for 2 francs, less than 40 cents and made a wonderful rattatouille that night. To this day, my wife speaks with wonder of that meal. My question is: Can anyone suggest decent places to eat in Aix. I really like bistro food, and I'm the one in the family who orders steak tartare or fruits de mer, and if it's on the menu, I promise I will try museau de vache. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jangilbert59 @ yahoo.com