• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santa Teresa 1796, Old Monk, Pyrat XO

ctgm

Just picked up a bottle and must say that it is right up my street. Beautifully smooth with subdued power.

I also tasted a 3yo rum called Old Monk which comes from Kenya. Really not bad but to me it lacked a bit of power but if I was in Kenya I would definitely drink it. Much better than the average multi national brands.

Pyrat XO - God almighty what has happened to this? Not sure if they have played around with this but it tastes like an Orange Rum Liqueur with a hint of iodine. As a drink it is interesting and not bad, but as a rum it is shocking. Very smooth to drink but :unsure:

Old Monk from Kenya? I've drunk an Old Monk from India but haven't seen one from Kenya, no doubt there are more.

You hit Pyrat on the head, not bad as a drink, heavy orange flavor, but as a rum?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Could be right - the person who I was drinking it with did mentione India but I am fairly sure the label said Kenya. It was in a dumpy black bottle.

With Pyrat - what could give this orange flavour? I know that there is heavy discounting on this and is being offered out at about $100 per 12/75 (ex taxes) so I am wondering whether a change is in the offing and stocks are being dumped. Has Pyrat XO always tasted like this?

Edit: I have just talked to my guy about the Old Monk and it was a Kenyan bottling (and yes they do do it in India).

Edited by ctgm (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Got a picture but don't know how to post it. No mention of any flavours.

Think that I have to agree with you that perhaps it should mention something. However as it is labelled XO (Extra Old) then it rather suggests that it is a "superior" product, which it isn't.

Edited by ctgm (log)

XO is not a quality, it is just a name that is used to claim a certain age, although it is not protected in the Rum industry.

The French use it for their Cognac and it gives the thought that the product is of a higher quality. But even inferior products can age. To use the name XO on a Cognac, the youngest ingredient of the product must be at least 6 years old.

I think there should be a law made that protects the names that are used on labels.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com