• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Duvet" and "B.E.D."

Jason Perlow

Just heard them talking about it on WOR 710 radio. Here's the concept -- you eat in a bed.

I can think of so many ways this place is not going to work.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/263583p-225498c.html

http://eatdrink.timeoutny.com/articles/480.duvet.php

http://www.duvetny.com/

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Just heard them talking about it on WOR 710 radio. Here's the concept -- you eat in a bed.

I can think of so many ways this place is not going to work.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/263583p-225498c.html

If I'm not mistaken, there are several bars and restaurants in NYC that offer this option-- I just read an article somewhere (Time Out?) listing them. It's always struck me as one of those Trendy Gimmicks that appeals briefly to the hipster set and then passes.

Has anyone eaten at Duvet, or any of the other places? Are we just missing something?

Edited by sakana (log)

I think WOR 710 got the name of the place wrong, because its called "Duvet" not "Bed" and its on 21st, not 27th. Unless of course there is ANOTHER one of these places opening on 27th.

According to Restaurant News the Executive Chef is David Colman, the former Sous at Union Pacific.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Fascinating. So now we have TWO restaurants close to each other that feature beds?

The one on 27th is on top of the building that houses the nightclub Spirit (and previously TWILO (RIP))

-mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

This isn't new. Sex and the City showed one of these places in August '03.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Do something special

Anything special

And you'll get better because

Come on and just do mimic

When you gotta gimmick

Take a look how different we are!

Thanks to Jule Styne and Steven Sondheim for these from Gypsy, the musical ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The bed restaurant on Sex and the City was fictional and based on a club in Miami. There was never one in New York until this past month.

BED and Duvet are two separate clubs/restaurants with the same exact concept in the same exact neighborhood. They were developed by partners who parted ways and agreed to compete with the same idea.

Been to Duvet.

It was formerly Tramps, my indie rock music venue of choice when I was younger, and then the nightclub centro-fly.

The beds are surprisingly comfortable, as they're massive and size and made of that tempurpedic material that lets you jump up and down while the person sitting or lying next to you doesn't feel a thing. Food is served on wood trays you can keep at your lap. You can aslo leave them right on them bed and they won't budge.

Food is way overpriced. As the chef was formerly of Union Pacific and it all seems very Asian inspired.

An Amuse bar, serves small portions of crudo/sashimi/whatever you want to call it, but they're about $12 a portion.

Had a duck salad that was pleasant and a creme brulee with a sorbet. What kind of sorbet you ask? I'm not sure because it had no distinguishing flavor whatsoever.

Service was decent - our poor but limber servers had to stretch and reach all over us to get water glasses onto an acrylic insland in the center of our mattress. Guys might get a kick out of that. Our bartender was AWFUL; oh boy did I hate him. Gave us the wrong drinks and charged us for the higher prices of drinks we specifically didn't ask for.

It's all novel and fun and TONS of money were poured into these places, but don't expect to see them here very long.

The predecessors of these two places in Miami and Bangkok are hugely popular. Quality of food, needless to say, is not a high priority.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

And who can forget Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl, when she goes out to dinner for the first time with Omar Shariff, singing:

Isn't this the height of nonchalance

Furnishing a bed -- in restaurants.

Well a bit of dinner never hurt

But guess who is gonna be dessert?

hmmm I do tend to eat dinner on the couch whenever I can but I guess ya cant tuck a dish towel into your neckline here.... :blink:

But...my husbands company was hired to try and tie up the loose ends of the heating system 2 weeks ago he said it looked ....interesting

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Ick.

Something vaguely creepy about this whole concept.

Not to mention impractical. Were I hip enough to go to one of these places, I am quite sure that I'd leave with my front completely covered with food. Though perhaps that's more of a problem for me that the establishments themselves...

If I'm not mistaken, there are several bars and restaurants in NYC that offer this option-- I just read an article somewhere (Time Out?) listing them.

Quoting myself to say I found the list I mentioned-- it's in the 1/3/05 issue of New York. According to them, all of these places off some sort of bed-type situation:

Duvet

B.E.D. New York

Ono

Highline

Hue