• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas Morning News: Best New Restaurants of 2004

Raynickben

1. George

2. Hector's on Henderson

3. Fusion

4. Vermilion Cajun Seafood and Grill

5. Gunsmoke Grill and Saloon

6. Old Hickory Steakhouse

7. Il Mulino New York

8. Fireside Pies

9. Penang Nyonya Malaysian Cuisine and Sushi Bar

10. Taverna Pizzeria and Risotteria

Read about them here.

Agree? Disagree? Haven't been yet? (me either. damn this year is flying by!)

Not saying all listed are not good. But I would take strong exception with several of them.

George is good, but basically southwestern sorry just not good enough.

Penang again ok but just not top 10 material.

Now on the other hand I would agree with Taverna. I am just about to try Gunsmoke Grill, after raves from several friends so it may will be correctly placed.

Can't comment on the others as of yet, but might try Vermilion tomorrow. Going to the Surlable sale around the corner from them.

Never trust a skinny chef

7. Il Mulino New York

They just keep pouring gas on that lawsuit fire don't they?

Anyways, haven't been to any, unfortunately.

And well they should. Sorry, but there you are. In today's world especially, this is perhaps a frivolous thing to file a suit over - in fact, I rather wonder at the judge for letting it go through. But. He is not at all out of bounds in his feelings and frustrations. I don't think 'certifying' critics is the way to go, but how can anyone in good conscience and good faith critique things they have at best a slender understanding of????

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

It didn't open in 2004, but I do believe the best restaurant in Dallas is, without a doubt, Aurora. What sheer bliss and passion on a plate.

Theabroma

It didn't open in 2004, but I do believe the best restaurant in Dallas is, without a doubt, Aurora.  What sheer bliss and passion on a plate.

Theabroma

Aurora was the number one pick for Best New Restaurants in 2003. Glad to hear they still got what it takes to stay on top.

(Nice to see you around here too Theabroma :smile: )

thanks, Raynickben. Problem with Aurora for me - aside from the fact that I should not be eating such rich food and it just turns my poor purse into a julienne - is that I am always conflicted as to whether to eat the food or just lie down in it. That place is just glorious. Glad to hear that you love it too. Avner Samuel is just lightyears away from the rest of the high end pack.

Theabroma