• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Food and Wine

Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but is this a daytime or evening affair?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

We haven't discussed timing. I'm thinking full steam at six, but anyone who likes and lets me know in advance is welcome to come earlier to cook, drink, etc., say anytime after 4:30?

Yes, Vince, I'm talking pm. :smile:

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama

We haven't discussed timing. I'm thinking full steam at six, but anyone who likes and lets me know in advance is welcome to come earlier to cook, drink, etc., say anytime after 4:30?

Yes, Vince, I'm talking pm. :smile:

Damn, these days 6 am is often more feasible for me that 6 pm.....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Hi Kids.....

FWED just alerted me to this li'l shindig......hope you have a blast!

I don't think I'll be able to make it.....just had my left hand operated on to correct my

carpal tunnel problems and I won't be able to cook for a while.

I'm sure everything will be deeeeee-lish!

Cheers......Annie

omg. um, I'd love to come to this, if I can. I'll bring some Catalan olives IF I can find some, and I'd be glad to make something- I should buy the mag.

malarkey- who should probably stay at home to study that night...

Born Free, Now Expensive

Just a little thread-grooming here. This is the current menu and list of attendees:

Rockdoggydog - Saucy Clams and Shrimp with Wild Mushrooms, and meat and cheese plate

White Lotus + Mr. WL - Leeks Romesco with Crumbled Garrotxa Cheese, and Tomato Salad with Mint Dressing

SeaGal - Twice Baked Potatoes with Tetilla and Roasted Fennel, and White Bean and Chorizo Salad with Olives

Cheeseandchocolate - Cauliflower Gratin with Manchego and Almond Sauce, and Toasted Bread and Bittersweet Chocolate

Sparrowsfall - Garlicky Shrimp with Olive Oil

Abra and Shel - Pork in Adobo Sauce and Cabrales Phyllo Rolls with Sherry Dipping Sauce

Laurel and Joe - Mackerel Escabeche with Asparagus and Artichoke Hearts, and Smoky Chard

Eden? - Chickpea and Spinach Stew and Fried Gorgonzola Bites

FWED and Ed - Lemon Cinnamon Flan

MsRamsey

Heyjude and Richard

Malarkey?

So that makes it 15, possibly 17 so far, and we have 16 dishes accounted for. There are still a lot of fabulous-sounding dishes to choose from, for those who haven't decided yet.

With this many people and dishes I second my earlier recommendation that we each bring small plates, maybe even disposable ones, to accompany our dishes. Otherwise we'll be spending all night at the sink.

Edited by Abra (log)

I will be coming early for a little while to say hi and leaving early. I will most likely bring some wine.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Hey, Abra!

Is it too late to sign up for the Spanish tapas cook-in??? If not, I'd love to do Quail escabeche (as given on their Feb. website for Spanish tapas). I can bring Ferran Adria's book on his philosophy, etc. with photos that some cooks might be interested in perusing (interestingly, he discusses his failures, too).

Also have tongs for sparrows fall...

Warmest regards,

Chef Wendy

P.S. Happy Birthday Shel !!! (I oft quote, while doing expo cooking, to the customer, your observation "every cook needs an audience.")

Wendy, nice to see you again! Quail escabeche is just what we've been needing - you're on! That's a bonus recipe that's online only, so we'll all get to be surprised. So now we have

Rockdoggydog - Saucy Clams and Shrimp with Wild Mushrooms, and meat and cheese plate

White Lotus + Mr. WL - Leeks Romesco with Crumbled Garrotxa Cheese, and Tomato Salad with Mint Dressing

SeaGal - Twice Baked Potatoes with Tetilla and Roasted Fennel, and White Bean and Chorizo Salad with Olives

Cheeseandchocolate - Cauliflower Gratin with Manchego and Almond Sauce, and Toasted Bread and Bittersweet Chocolate

Sparrowsfall - Garlicky Shrimp with Olive Oil

Abra and Shel - Pork in Adobo Sauce and Cabrales Phyllo Rolls with Sherry Dipping Sauce

Laurel and Joe - Mackerel Escabeche with Asparagus and Artichoke Hearts, and Smoky Chard Saute

FWED and Ed - Lemon Cinnamon Flan

MsRamsey - wine, and tales of her new life down south

Heyjude and Richard - Rotisserie Chicken with Dried Fruit and Pine Nuts

Malarkey? if she can get three papers written before Saturday

Chef Wendy - Quail Escabeche, and Ferran Adria book, and maybe an espuma

Jude, I put you down for the chicken, it seems to fill a hole in the menu quite well. Anyone else? Eden won't be able to make it, so her dishes are up for grabs again, if anyone wants them. Those fried gorgonzola bites sound really yummy.

Edited by Abra (log)

Hola, Abra,

Muchos Gracious! So looking forward to the Spanish Feast. Have dug out my Ferran Adria approved isi profi whip, so hopefully (complex :blink: ) will also attempt to do an espuma for all.

With anticipation,

Chef Wendy

Edited by chefwendy (log)

Is everybody finding Spanish wines ok?  I got a couple of bottles of Palacios Les Terrasses today that should be delicoius.

I picked up a 2000 Quinta Hinojal Tempranillo, and a 2003 Montebuena Rioja--knowing nothing whatever about Spanish wines, I bowed to suggestions from shop personnel.....we'll see. I may also pick out a white wine when I go to the Spanish Table later this week.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Were it not for a conflict, I would be in attendence. But since I can't make it I decided to get in the spirit by making a quick dish of Cod with Basque Wine Sauce (page 88). I modified the recipe just a bit based on availability of ingredients. Instead of cod, I used halibut, and instead of cockles I used manila clams. I guess that makes it a Pacific Northwest variant of the dish. I also added more peas than the recipe specified, at the request of my dinnermate and pea fanatic.

I didn't have any Spanish white at home, so I used Regnard '01 Macon Lugny. It's a stunning value white Burgundy that Esquin has been selling for under $10 a bottle. I'm going to have to get another case if they still have any left next time I'm in.

The recipe is in the fast section of the magazine, and it certainly was. I doubt 10 minutes elapsed from the moment the grocery bag landed on the counter until dinner was served.

Anyway, the final result is pictured below.

gallery_1327_634_1106022366.jpg

Good luck with the get-together. It sounds like its going to be fantastic.

P.S. Here's the final final result. It didn't last long after serving.

gallery_1327_634_1106022392.jpg

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

The updated list just upthread shows the recent changes.

Great Tapas festival !! Happy birthday to Shel, good health and all the best for the next years. Wished I could join your party, unfortunately it's not round the corner. Have a nice evening.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

When I was in Seattle yesterday I picked up the cheese and leeks for my dish. I also picked up a copy of the F & W magazine and realized that the leeks that I got were twice the size of the leeks in the photo for the recipe. I will not find smaller leeks here in Tacoma and do not have the time for another trip to Seattle before Saturday afternoon. My dish will look a little different that what is in the picture.

This is last minute but can I add one more to the guest list, my mature teen daughter. She is a budding foodie and will already be in Seattle earlier that day assisting in a PCC (Pudget Consumer Co op) cooking class. The original plan was that she was going to hang out at some coffee house doing homework and pick us up after. Although Top Pot donuts are good they pale in comparison to what we are going to have that evening. I will look though the magazine again see if we can add another easy dish to our potluck. Also, we will also be bringing non-alcohol beverages. I am very much looking forward to this. WL

Of course, WL, we'd love to have her, bearing in mind that a lot of wine is bound to be consumed.

The leeks will be perfect. FWED is totally re-imaging the flan, and I expect that several of us will come up with our own unique presentation ideas. Not to worry.

I decided to add the lamb meatballs with mint to my list, since it was missing from the line up.

I also will have to bring a revised version of the stuffed potatoes. Spanish Table only had a small amount of tetilla cheese left, so they suggested Urgelia (a soft cow's milk cheese) as an alternative. I bought both and haven't decided whether to mix them together or just use the Urgelia. (The tetilla is very mild, kind of like really good Monterrey Jack and the Urgelia has a bit more pungency) Unfortunately, I just don't have time to make a run to PFI, so will just have to make do. Or, I could just skip the potatoes and bring the cheeses to munch on. What do you think?

I'm also bringing the bean and chorizo salad.

I also picked up a couple of bottles of the Naia white wine featured in the magazine. The wine lady at Spanish Table said it was very good.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Did I totally miss a posting with the address for the shindig?  I just realized I have no idea how to get there.  :unsure:

Rocky

Anyone who needs directions for tomorrow's cooking extravaganza should email (NOT PM) SparrowsFall (Steve). In case you don't know how to do this, just go to his profile, by clicking on his user name, and then click on "send an email". He'll send you directions and contact info.

See you all tomorrow!

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA