• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver's Worst Addresses

Coop

Thomas Haney Secondary School cafeteria. Do you mean the place on Thurlow? Was the word Beaujolais in the name? Chef as my son jokingly calls him is currently rehabing an injury. Evidently the food is greatly improved, especially the chicken fingers.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Thomas Haney Secondary School cafeteria. Do you mean the place on Thurlow? Was the word Beaujolais in the name? Chef as my son jokingly calls him is currently rehabing an injury. Evidently the food is greatly improved, especially the chicken fingers.

i think it was before then, and actually, it might have been in gastown.

hi

it looks like denman street is not a place to be right now , huge rent increases are driving buisnesses out ! gallaways gone , one more thai gone , miriams gone , niche australian pie concept gone , brass monkey going ? so i hear .

empty units aplenty.

but who can fill them ?

is it going to be a street full of starbucks ?

tt

I long for the wonderful stir-fried black-bean prawn linguine they used to serve at the Santa Fe Cafe.

Oooh, that was definitely one of the best dishes ever. I always thought it was my little secret!

Add to our list the house-like building at the northeast corner of Chesterfield and Esplanade in North Vancouver, just up the hill from Lonsdale Quay. It's currently occupied by the Thai House but has seen many incarnations. Ian remembers it as the Harvest House back in the 80s. Any others?

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I grew up in Port Moody and one of the suburban locations-of-the-damned is the big corner restaurant space at North Rd. and Cameron. I think it's a produce market now, and may have been a bubble tea place recently, but it was a Lone Star Café for sometime, and before that it was a Fuddruckers.

The unusual thing is that both the Fuddruckers and the LSC were always quite busy. Maybe there's something about the Burquitlam air that makes successful chain restaurants want to pack up their Western Canada operations after occupying that space.

Personally, I miss the big vat of squeezy cheese at Fuddruckers. The stuff at 7-11 simply does not compare. :biggrin:

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

How about the two places along the seawall on the way to Monks?

the one just off Leg'n'Boot square is finally, mercifully, being turned into condos. The tiny little cafe just before Stamps Landing has another new owner and I hope hope hope it survives. I think the chef/owner is formerly of one of the Bins.

And what about that place upstairs on the SouthWest corner of Broadway and Heather? I don't think it has been a success since JukeBox Johnnies Diner Deluxe was there back in the eighties.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Hello All

A location that I feel is bad on W4th is Il Ducato. It's on the South side of the street facing North. Zero sun exposure, and no patio. When you dine there, it kind of feels like your eating in a cave.

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com

Hello All

A location that I feel is bad on W4th is Il Ducato. It's on the South side of the street facing North. Zero sun exposure, and no patio. When you dine there, it kind of feels like your eating in a cave.

Ciao

Adesso Chef

yeah

i agree

i`ve walked passed that place alot and it never looks inviting, or buzy .

tt

:biggrin::blink::wacko:

The divorce from Lorenzos

Now no more lorenzos

soon to be no more Ivy

wow talk about changes to the old hood

There even using my name in a place in the same hood

jerichocafe

there got to be something there?

chef know any body who has some money?

steve

-------------------------------------

I used to work there, my friend sold the restaurant a few year back, they did well by it, the selling of the restaurant that is, it was old school, the new owners made the mistake and did not change anything, ah but now, there is a sweeping staff change. it did well in the winter, but summer was slowwwwwwwwwwwww.

The old place had good Itilian chow, fresh stuff and great pastas, chef dave was a great cook, who captained that ship through fog and many stormy nights, he was a solid helmsman, he keep that ship going to its destination, talk about staying power, I think I got some of that now?, wow two years as a line cook at a place in port, it is hard dealing with someone elses place, I have learned after 25 years, what the fuck the use of jumping ship, the new shit begins to smell just like the one you left, so you just gear down and be professional and just do your fucking job.

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook