• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver's Worst Addresses

Coop

No you wouldn't.

Sidetrack. Screw the players, screw the owners, screw the league. You morons  give me a call when you get your shit worked out, until then I'll not be caring.

Hey, I'm the first person in line to kick Bill Daly somewhere painful, believe me. Of course if the Canucks weren't in their current situation, I wouldn't be able to afford to do the other things I have been doing this season, including extra DOV dinners and many many live concerts. But I miss my lower bowl seat, and seeing the pre-game skates, and the overpriced Heineken.

And actually I don't want them to come back now, I have the rest of the season's ticket money earmarked for a vacation in the spring.

Actually, forget the Brewhouse, can somebody explain to me why you have to buy a burger and fries at White Spot? I usually get a hotdog instead or a piece of pizza instead of a Triple O, which is often what I really want, because their fries suck.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

"what restaurants don't deserve their locations"

How about Anton's on Hastings street in the "Heights"

For the life of me I can't understand why people will line up in sub-zero weather, (or in any weather for that matter), to eat extremely mediocre pasta??!! Is it really because they give such insanely large portions that you actually get to take home mediocre pasta? I will never understand the draw of that place and yet it does so well. The thing that bothers me the most though, is that it sucks all potential diners away from trying any of the other new spots that come along. (Except of course for Scott Jaegers "Pear tree" which is in a whole other demention.)

"what restaurants don't deserve their locations"

How about Anton's on Hastings street in the "Heights"

For the life of me I can't understand why people will line up in sub-zero weather, (or in any weather for that matter), to eat extremely mediocre pasta??!! Is it really because they give such insanely large portions that you actually get to take home mediocre pasta? I will never understand the draw of that place and yet it does so well. The thing that bothers me the most though, is that it sucks all potential diners away from trying any of the other new spots that come along. (Except of course for Scott Jaegers "Pear tree" which is in a whole other demention.)

The problem with The Heights is the same as with Columbia Street in New Westminster. Both areas are stuck in the 50's. The Heights Business Association has been doing a pretty good job of bringing "better" businesses into the area while still keeping its character.

Anton's is popular because of the lineup, and yes, because of the stupidly large portions. Bombay Behl and Baan Wasan are really starting to draw well. The Pear Tree is so good it's a destination unto itself.

My pick for undeserving location is Horizon's on Burnaby Mountain. With the exception of their brunch buffet (which I last enjoyed over 5 years ago), the food is on par with The Boathouse ... yet the view up there is amazing. Now before all you city dwellers start moaning about the drive, just remember how far out of town French Laundry is :laugh:

A.

And remember, if you try really hard, as in the case of Moustache Cafe for instance, you can run just about anything into the ground

You mean, burn to the ground??

That is the broadway location you are talking about, or Northvan?

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I vote for the place inhabited by the Ordinary. In the past it was The Sierra, the Sonoma and Coco's. Probably missed a few. Close second the room where Vintropolis is. Another candidate would be the Cafe de Paris although the name remains the same there seems to be a new owner every year.

Coop, I agree with you on that one, I have watch places last about seven months at a time in that location, I can not think of any spot in that part of Westside that has flipped more then that location, although now the whole area has changed and the density probably has more then doubled, it has bad KARMA on it, they should have done an exorcism on it before a new place goes in, like have naked people running around on the summer solstice burning wheat grass or something, hell if that don’t work what will?

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I just thought of another. The room now occupied by the Pacific Crab Co. A classic upstairs location, next to the Bayside Room. What was the name of the place that did fairly well in thier during the late 80's?

Pepitas.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

The restaurants in Leg-In-Boot sq in False Creek seem pretty bad. I used to work at Le Physique near the Buy Low there and it seems like that corner Thai restaurant, even though it had a fantastic view of the water, went through three or four iterations.

I remeber goingto that place once in the 80's. The room had a giant black grand piano. I think the word sole was in the name, Contented Sole? The place I mean next to the Bayside Room, is on Denman about 15 feet from Davie, upstairs on the east side of the street. It may have been Pepita's at one time but before that it was kind of a 80's "fusion" place.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

The restaurants in Leg-In-Boot sq in False Creek seem pretty bad. I used to work at Le Physique near the Buy Low there and it seems like that corner Thai restaurant, even though it had a fantastic view of the water, went through three or four iterations.

How true!

After being offices/vacant for a real long time that space has now been converted into small high end retail spaces-it was being renovated for such last I cycled through during the warmer weather.

I was driving by Malone's at Kits Beach yesterday and was trying to remember all of the different places that have occupied that space over the years. The only one I can remember is Senior Frog's and it's driving me nuts because I can't remember what it morphed into after that. Can someone please enlighten me?

How can you forget Vancouver's most annoying restauranteur Sam Yehia and Sammy's. He was the guy who wanted to have his people down on the beach taking orders for food and drink. I geuss I remember because Sam and his brother Vic, owner of Doll and Penny's were fellow Sentinel 74 grads. BTW this was before Senor Frog's. Sam did control the lease for years after Sammy's closed. Allegedly!

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

How can you forget Vancouver's most annoying restauranteur Sam Yehia and Sammy's. He was the guy who wanted to have his people down on the beach taking orders for food and drink. I geuss I remember because Sam and his brother Vic, owner of Doll and Penny's were fellow Sentinel 74 grads. BTW this was before Senor Frog's. Sam did control the lease for years after Sammy's closed. Allegedly!

There must be some truth to that because look at what happened to Malone's

They had to cut it in half because they could only get half of the building leased out - two different landlords had control of the building.

Do you remember them trying to keep it afloat by serving food from catering trucks - Health board shut them down on that pretty quick.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

......and way back the Malone's location was a Red's. an all chicken concept. Before that a gas station I think.

The Ordinary location was home to the late great Santa Fe Cafe (remember the famous pan fried prawn linguine?)

The Juliet's on Cornwall was a Vina for years.

......and way back the Malone's location was a Red's. an all chicken concept. Before that a gas station I think.

It was also a 7/11 at one point. BTW the manager of Reds was Chris Coletta who went on to much more.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

"I think the word sole was in the name, Contented Sole? "

The Contented Sole was the short lived sister restaurant to the Amorous Oyster on Oak St.

( I used to wait tables there). The Contented Sole was located where Bishops is on 4th Avenue.

And he has been there a long long time.

Shelora

Another Honourable Mention to the location on the NW corner of Broadway & Cypress next to Akbar's Own.

While Akbar's continues to thrive the corner locale has had rivers of money poured

into it for different venues/styles of food/ideas galore and it never ever works.

Now I see the building is 'slated for redevelopment/renovation' tenancy Mar '05.

Well if that's the case they'd better get cracking!

"I think the word sole was in the name, Contented Sole? "

The Contented Sole was the short lived sister restaurant to the Amorous Oyster on Oak St.

I used to wait tables there. (Good grief! I must remember to look at my birth certificate. Am I really that old?!) The Contented Sole was located where Bishops is on 4th Avenue.

And he has been there a long long time.

Sometimes a doomed location just needs the right combination, don't you think?

Shelora

Another Honourable Mention to the location on the NW corner of  Broadway & Cypress next to Akbar's Own.

While Akbar's continues to thrive the corner locale has had rivers of money poured

into it for different venues/styles of food/ideas galore and it never ever works.

Now I see the building is 'slated for redevelopment/renovation' tenancy Mar '05.

Well if that's the case they'd better get cracking!

And Akbar's Own used to be Meli Taverna about 7 or so years ago... perhaps a tad longer as I can't actually remember when I last saw it there. But I think Akbar's Own used to be located where there's now a Thai Restaurat (the name of which currently escapes me) further west on Broadway near Alma which prior to Akbar's used to be a Sweet Cheribum. Whew!

Another doomed location would be on the corner of Alma and West 5th. Many moons ago, it was a place called "Heart's" (I actually worked there for a while). Now it's a Japanese restaurant and it does seem to have survived under that incarnation for a while though it was quite a revolving door prior to.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 3 weeks later...

we can also add the site at yew and first, which is changing again .

yew first was a good try ( but what a bad name ! ) , da pasta bar ( that place had surely had its day , .......... and saltimbocca ? ............

hmmm

any way

cool thread btw.

i`m now addicted to yet another substance for misuse * cough * egullet you bastards have got me by the balls at 2:30 am . geee chef errr hi errr sorry i`m late errrr call it work related ( tenuous ) reflection . gee he aint gonna buy that , thats for sure

tt