• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Food with Entertainment

Carlson1105

In regards to a dinner theater in the local area, the food's pretty mediocre. Better luck with a show at the Warner Theatre and doing dinner separately. I think Les Halles is nearby but the food's middling there. I'm sure the other eG peeps could give you some great suggestions.

Coming in from Phila for a Sat. Night later this month. Is there anywhere to go for a special occasion that might include some sort of entertainment? Maybe a dinner theater type place or somewhere with live music or a show?

Various places to try:

-Melrose at the Park Hyatt Hotel has very good food and live dance music on Saturdays.

-Blues Alley in Georgetown has 2 shows on Saturday. Most people eat elsewhere in the neighborhood.

-Bohemian Caverns on U St. is an old time jazz club. Duke Ellington used to play there. Don't know about the food, but there are a lot of restaurants in the area.

-701 Restaurant has a jazz trio and very good moderately priced food in a supper club atmosphere. They are at 701 Pennsylvania Ave.

Check the Friday Washington Post Weekend section. There is a very large selection of piano rooms and other entertainment.

Mark

For more of an upscale evening, I would recommend The Kennedy Center and a meal at either Marcel's or The Circle Bistro. Both have pre-theater meals.

Edited by mhberk (log)

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Marrakesh restaurant has bellydancing on Fridays and Saturdays (best call and check.) Last time I was there, they had a genuine shimmying article. They also do not take any plastic, so make sure you have enough cash on you.

Resident Twizzlebum

If you just want a classy gentleman on the piano tinkling in the background, that becomes easier to satisfy. Marcel's and Kinkead's both feature exactly that.

If you just want a classy gentleman on the piano tinkling in the background, that becomes easier to satisfy. Marcel's and Kinkead's both feature exactly that.

A classy gentleman would never relieve himself, discretely or otherwise, whilst atop a piano.

Go to Kinkead's and hear Hilton play. He's an entertaining conversationalist as well...

The bar has television too, and sometimes GW students come in with their parents credit card, which might entertain you. :shock:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/enter...s/pianobars.htm

Raw bar especially good, and anything fried is win-win as well...

Edited by morela (log)

Marrakesh restaurant has bellydancing on Fridays and Saturdays (best call and check.) Last time I was there, they had a genuine shimmying article.  They also do not take any plastic, so make sure you have enough cash on you.

Marrakesh is WAY overpriced and not all that great IMHO. I went with a bunch of friends a couple months back (one who was from Morocco) and the food was bleah. People go for the experience and the belly dancer (who was very good, btw). As the night wore on, it was hard to enjoy the food b/c:

1. I couldn't see what the heck I was eating (it was rather dark)

2. The food's "Americanized" and not authentic. (I noticed this before my friend from Morocco made a comment.)

3. The food took forever and a day to come out.

4. The service was organized chaos.

OK, I just realized I sounded like a git but if I'm spending $60+ on food for myself alone (no drinks) and it's not that good and I don't enjoy it, well, we got problems here.

Also, for those who aren't familar with DC, I don't know if I want to send them to that part of town.

Marrakesh restaurant has bellydancing on Fridays and Saturdays (best call and check.) Last time I was there, they had a genuine shimmying article.  They also do not take any plastic, so make sure you have enough cash on you.

Marrakesh is WAY overpriced and not all that great IMHO. I went with a bunch of friends a couple months back (one who was from Morocco) and the food was bleah. People go for the experience and the belly dancer (who was very good, btw). As the night wore on, it was hard to enjoy the food b/c:

1. I couldn't see what the heck I was eating (it was rather dark)

2. The food's "Americanized" and not authentic. (I noticed this before my friend from Morocco made a comment.)

3. The food took forever and a day to come out.

4. The service was organized chaos.

OK, I just realized I sounded like a git but if I'm spending $60+ on food for myself alone (no drinks) and it's not that good and I don't enjoy it, well, we got problems here.

Also, for those who aren't familar with DC, I don't know if I want to send them to that part of town.

Well yeah, you don't go there for the food. And I would argue that a skanky neighborhood produces a unique DC experience ;)

The bellydancer, though, is true-blue and a welcome respite from the Western imitation that is mostly hump and grind. The Marrakesh girl reminds you of the original purpose why girls were taught to belly dance.

Resident Twizzlebum

For belly dancing on a Saturday night, try Meyhane, the Turkish joint on Pennsylvannia Ave SE. The food is quite good, service is sloppy but friendly, and the belly dancer... hubba hubba... :biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.