• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DDC Jan Dinner - Reminder with Menu Included

Roonytunes

This is a reminder for the Jan DDC dinner.

LAST DAY TO RSVP: Mon, Jan 10th

We are going to have an Indian adventure at Karma in Old City!

Date: Mon, Jan 17th (Martin Luther King day)

Time: 6:30pm for cocktails, 7pm for dinner

Venue: Karma, 114 Chestnut Street

Cost: $25 including tax and gratuity + full cash bar

We will have our own private area on the second floor. The dinner will be buffet style. I have worked with Karma to request the menu below. It contains an assortment of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes that represent various regions in India. Spice level will be varied from mild to hot. I have done my best to describe all the dishes.

RSVP by emailing me at ap5591@aol.com and let me know how many spots you would like me to hold on your behalf.

I have acknowledged all the RSVPs I have received so far. If you did not hear back from me, I did not receive an email from you.

As always, there will be a voluntary collection for PHILABUNDANCE after the dinner.

Hope to see many of you in attendance.

MENU

Appetizers:

Aloo Papri Chaat (lentil Dumplings, potatoes, chick peas topped with assorted chutney and sauce combinations)

Tandoori Gobhi (baked Cauliflower florets with special tandoori marinade)

Tootak (tandoori Chicken Wings)

Vegetable Samosa (potato filled fried dumplings)

Hara Bara Kabab (marinated chicken in coriander, chillies, ginger and garlic)

Lamb Seekh Kabab (soft minced lamb kebab)

Salad Bar:

Sharabi Chana (chick peas salad)

Gujarati Carrot Salad

Cucumber Salad with Grated Coconut

Raita (whipped yogurt with mint and tomato)

Assorted Chutneys

Main Courses:

Chicken Makhani (cooked in creamy tomato gravy, similar to Chicken Tikka Masala)

Chicken Madras (spicy South Indian style)

Lamb Chettinad (cooked with roasted coconut, chillies and ground spices)

Lamb Vindaloo (cooked in hot and sour Goan gravy)

Shrimp Masala

Saag Paneer (paneer cubes in spinach)

Baigan Bharta (roasted eggplant cooked with chef's special sauces)

Bhindi Do Piaza (okra cooked in onions and tomatoes)

Dal Makhani (lentils in creamy tomato gravy)

Rice

Breads:

Assorted, including naan and roti

Desserts:

Kulfi (Indian style ice-cream)

Gulab Jamun (very popular Indian dessert of brown fried soft breaded balls soaked in syrup)

This is a reminder for the Jan DDC dinner.

LAST DAY TO RSVP: Mon, Jan 10th

We are going to have an Indian adventure at Karma in Old City!

Date: Mon, Jan 17th (Martin Luther King day)

Time: 6:30pm for cocktails, 7pm for dinner

Venue: Karma, 114 Chestnut Street

Cost: $25 including tax and gratuity + full cash bar

We will have our own private area on the second floor. The dinner will be buffet style. I have worked with Karma to request the menu below. It contains an assortment of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes that represent various regions in India. Spice level will be varied from mild to hot. I have done my best to describe all the dishes.

RSVP by emailing me at ap5591@aol.com and let me know how many spots you would like me to hold on your behalf.

I have acknowledged all the RSVPs I have received so far. If you did not hear back from me, I did not receive an email from you. 

As always, there will be a voluntary collection for PHILABUNDANCE after the dinner.

Hope to see many of you in attendance.

MENU

Appetizers:

Aloo Papri Chaat (lentil Dumplings, potatoes, chick peas topped with assorted chutney and sauce combinations)

Tandoori Gobhi (baked Cauliflower florets with special tandoori marinade)

Tootak (tandoori Chicken Wings)

Vegetable Samosa (potato filled fried dumplings)

Hara Bara Kabab (marinated chicken in coriander, chillies, ginger and garlic)

Lamb Seekh Kabab (soft minced lamb kebab)

Salad Bar:

Sharabi Chana (chick peas salad)

Gujarati Carrot Salad

Cucumber Salad with Grated Coconut

Raita (whipped yogurt with mint and tomato)

Assorted Chutneys

Main Courses:

Chicken Makhani (cooked in creamy tomato gravy, similar to Chicken Tikka Masala)

Chicken Madras (spicy South Indian style)

Lamb Chettinad (cooked with roasted coconut, chillies and ground spices)

Lamb Vindaloo (cooked in hot and sour Goan gravy)

Shrimp Masala

Saag Paneer (paneer cubes in spinach)

Baigan Bharta (roasted eggplant cooked with chef's special sauces)

Bhindi Do Piaza (okra cooked in onions and tomatoes)

Dal Makhani (lentils in creamy tomato gravy)

Rice

Breads:

Assorted, including naan and roti

Desserts:

Kulfi (Indian style ice-cream)

Gulab Jamun (very popular Indian dessert of brown fried soft breaded balls soaked in syrup)

KILLER menu, Aruna, really. And we havent had an Indian repast in over two years, and this looks to be an oustanding variety of dishes. Wowza.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

That looks really great, and I would love to attend, I do have one question though, that perhaps some of the eG members more knowedgable in Indian cuisine can answer:

Do any of these curry/sauced/salad dishes typically contain sugar/starch? I would assume they are made just using spices and unsweetened coconut, as that is what I typically see in Indian recipes, but I would be curious to find out before I RSVP. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 2 weeks later...

What a feast! And what a turnout! I think the grand total was 73 attendees at this evening's DDC at Karma; according to Rich, that's the most ever! Many thanks to Aroona for organizing this dinner and making it happen.

I managed two full plates of appetizers before tackling the mains. The biggest hit at our table was the Aloo Papri Chat -- fried lentils, potatoes and chick peas served in a raiti-like sauce, an incredible savory contrast of crunch and smooth textures. Other standouts to my taste were the Saag Paneer, Tandoori Gobhi (cauliflower) with its very black peppery spice, and Hara Bara Kabab (chicken marinated in coriander, chillies, ginger and garlic). With the rich green of one of the sauces and the Hara Bara Kabab, and the orange/reds of the Tandoori dishes, some of the appetizer plates looked veritble palettes. All that was missing was blue food, though the mustard-seeded chick peas almost looked blue (I have a vivid imagination even if I an color blind).

Again, thanks, Aroona, for a great evening.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

...The biggest hit at our table was the Aloo Papri Chat -- fried lentils, potatoes and chick peas served in a raiti-like sauce, an incredible savory contrast of crunch and smooth textures. 

This is very good at Karma, and they also make a killer version at Desi Village in King of Prussia (called "Chat Papri" there). And Cafe Spice makes a similar thing called "Raj Kachoori."

I regret that I couldn't attend that DDC dinner, but thanks for posting the menu and reactions, I'll use them as a guide next time I go to Karma!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Indeed.  Great dinner last night. 

Thanks so much for putting it together, Roonytunes.

I must say Aruna really outdid herself, a prodigious, bar-raising first DDC hosting and planning. Outstanding food, a brobdignangian buffet if ever I saw one. Killer samosas and salads, awesome butter chicken, incendiary Madras chicken, and vegetarian dishes, and killer syrup balls. I'll just leave it at that.

Now, on another note: I've organized the next DDC event, a Chinese New year banquet at Joe Poon, but do NOT want to host it. Volunteers? PM me please.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

This is very good at Karma, and they also make a killer version at Desi Village in King of Prussia (called "Chat Papri" there).  And Cafe Spice makes a similar thing called "Raj Kachoori."

desi village is really tasty. i was caught off guard when i went there a couple months ago expecting some crappy gunked-up indian food, and had a delicious meal.

Damn, 73 people on her first dinner?! Amazing! The bar has been set very high indeed! I truly regret not being able to make it, it sounds like it was truly incredible.

Speaking of Joseph Poon, I heard somewhere that he is closing his doors to focus on catering or something, true? If so, after the DDC dinner I hope?

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Damn, 73 people on her first dinner?! Amazing! The bar has been set very high indeed! I truly regret not being able to make it, it sounds like it was truly incredible.

Speaking of Joseph Poon, I heard somewhere that he is closing his doors to focus on catering or something, true? If so, after the DDC dinner I hope?

Closing the doors next fall, so it wont be our fault (curse) this time. LOL.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Aruna,

Evidently, you had the highest turnout for a dinner yet, and twas a fine

meal they all had.

That is, with the exception of me, who had too fine a meal, as more than a few people can account for my beached whale status afterwards.

Good job, girl.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.