• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Rio for Carnaval .......

We've been pouring over the guide books, talking to friends, and getting any and all info on the "not to miss" things to do, eat, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions of great foods, drinks, or restaurants we should try? We'll be there for about 3 weeks and plan to take day trips to neighboring citys as well.

Thanks!

Rio during the Carnival becomes another city altogether. everything becomes 3times more expensive, and craziness reaches a cresendo.

1. Make sure you have your visas in order before you go.

Since this seems like yoiur first visit to GIG, make sure you have a airport pickup to take you to the hotel.

2. Whatever precautions you take while strolling in unfamiliar cities; apply same thing here with hightened vigilance.

In absence of specifics about hotels I cannot speak about restaurants.

Edited by anil (log)

anil

You must find a churrascaria, and go with an empty stomach. Just remember that in Brazil, Thank you will give you more food, and does not mean 'no thanks' like here in the States.

Edited by Mnehrling (log)

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Don't forget to have a couple Caipirinhas, a drink made with Cachaça,a sugar cane liquor brewed in Brasil.

Do NOT, under any circumstances make the "OK" sign (your thumb and index finger forms an "O"). This means "you're an assh*le". Look for it in traffic arguments...

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Rio during the Carnival becomes another city altogether. everything becomes 3times more expensive, and craziness reaches a cresendo.

1. Make sure you have your visas in order before you go.

Since this seems like yoiur first visit to GIG, make sure you have a airport pickup  to take you to the hotel.

2. Whatever precautions you take while strolling in unfamiliar cities; apply same thing here with hightened vigilance.

In absence of specifics about hotels I cannot speak about restaurants.

Thanks for the info, we've already taken care of our Visa's so that's out of the way.

The place we're staying is at "Hotel Sol Impanema" at Av. Vieira Souto, 320. It's about a block from the Impanema beach and is supposed to have fantastic ocean views.

But I certainly don't mind jumping in a taxi to get to a further loacale if something is worth it. :smile:

The all you can eat meat place is a definete on our list as well as the above mentioned drinks.

I'm looking forward to trying the street food. Especially on the beach!

Edited by PaoPao (log)

Thanks for the info, we've already taken care of our Visa's so that's out of the way.

The place we're staying is at "Hotel Sol Impanema" at Av. Vieira Souto, 320.  It's about a block from the Impanema beach and is supposed to have fantastic ocean views. 

But I certainly don't mind jumping in a taxi to get to a further loacale if something is worth it.  :smile:

The all you can eat meat place is a definete on our list as well as the above mentioned drinks. 

I'm looking forward to trying the street food.  Especially on the beach!

Unlike Copacabana beach, eating from Kiosks/stalls in Ipanema beach is going to be difficult. There are hardly any. Whereas in Copa there are tons of 'em.

The most well known churrascaria is on the other side of Copacabana beach, called Marius - It has one which is primarily meat and other which is seafood.

anil

Mmmmm. Thanx for mentioning the Caiparinhas, johnnyd. LOVE those.

And PaoPao, johnnyd had a link to the Maria-Brazil.org website, which I think is a really great guide for Americans. She covers alot of ground that I'm sure you'll find very useful (restaurants, bookstores, points of interest, culture, language, recipes, how not to call someone an assh*le by making the "OK" sign, etc.).

You'll be a carioca in no time!

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions again! We are just ending our almost 3 weeks in Rio and we are waiting in the lounge now at the airport to return to Vancouver.

Have to say we had a blast! Loved Rio, loved Carnaval, loved our whole holiday. We tried to eat at a different place each night. With notable exceptions "Porcau" for it´s all you can eat skewered meats. Ohhh soo good. The Brazilians have the corner on BBQ´d meats in my book. Another stand out was in Leblon called Nam Thai. An excellent meal and the best Pad Thai I´ve ever tasted.

We had our share of Skol, and Caprihinies, (forgive my sp) also.

If anybody wants more detail just pm me ....

I hope to see lots of pictures of scantily-clad, samba-school ladies holding swords of simmering churrasco. If any are in focus you clearly haven't had enough cachaça. Welcome home!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com