• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mr. Beer

Amy Viny

Hey Gulleteers-

I've once seen this topic just briefly mentioned... but I was out at Target yesterday and ran across a "deluxe" Mr. Beer brewing kit at deep, deep discount. As I am fascinated with homebrew ( as well as the distrotion of traditional foodstuffs for commercial purposes) I shelled out the $7.48 for the kit thinking what a hoot. You are supposed to be able to brew real beer in a plastic/wood keg then bottle the stuff in plastic pop bottles. The kit comes with a can of hopped malt. Has anyone tried it? What was your experience? Do things like this make people more interested in brewing beer for real, or after a Mr. Beer experience do people feel creating real food is just too mysterious, and the process is better left for the professionals at Budweiser?

Hey Gulleteers-

I've once seen this topic just briefly mentioned... but I was out at Target yesterday and ran across a "deluxe" Mr. Beer brewing kit at deep, deep discount. As I am  fascinated with homebrew ( as well as the distrotion of traditional foodstuffs for commercial purposes) I shelled out the $7.48 for the kit thinking what a hoot. You are supposed to be able to brew real beer in a plastic/wood keg then bottle the stuff in plastic pop bottles. The kit comes with a can of hopped malt. Has anyone tried it? What was your experience? Do things like this make people more interested in brewing beer for real, or after a Mr. Beer experience do people feel creating real food is just too mysterious, and the process is better left for the professionals at Budweiser?

I am a home brewer but I don't know anything about the Mr. Beer brewing kit so I cannot comment on that.

Let me say, however, that the professionals at Budweiser consistently brew a beer that is mediocre, at best, and is not designed to attract drinkers who really enjoy beer and have taken the time to become knowledgeable about the topic.

In my experience, home brewers can make an excellent product that is far superior to anything produced by Budweiser. The good news is that homebrewing is not rocket science. If you can make chicken soup, you can brew beer. You just need the right equipment.

Based on your description of Mr. Beer, I worry that such a product might produce a lousy beer and turn you off homebrewing for good.

Ooh, ooh, me! I admit it, I introduced myself to Mr. Beer. The beer was OK. Not much flavor, but not much effort, either. I ended up buying a beer-making kit and a turkey frying kit, which allows me to make some pretty darn good beers. The Mr. Beer is a good introduction, though. If you get bored with Mr. Beer, you will definitely get bored with real homebrewing, and if you like the process, then you will probably like doing it full scale. I still have that stupid "keg" if anyone wants it.

Actually, the plastic caps that come with the kit are useful. To check that I have correctly carbonated a batch of beer, I always bottle one 16 oz. plastic bottle, and cap with the Mr. Beer cap. It seals and looks better than just re-using the Crystal Geyser cap.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

• 4 weeks later...
Ooh, ooh, me! I admit it, I introduced myself to Mr. Beer. The beer was OK. Not much flavor, but not much effort, either. I ended up buying a beer-making kit and a turkey frying kit, which allows me to make some pretty darn good beers. The Mr. Beer is a good introduction, though. If you get bored with Mr. Beer, you will definitely get bored with real homebrewing, and if you like the process, then you will probably like doing it full scale. I still have that stupid "keg" if anyone wants it.

Actually, the plastic caps that come with the kit are useful. To check that I have correctly carbonated a batch of beer, I always bottle one 16 oz. plastic bottle, and cap with the Mr. Beer cap. It seals and looks better than just re-using the Crystal Geyser cap.

Walt

Hi Walt-

Started my first batch last sunday but after researching the process decided to chuck the Mr. Beer ingredients for upgrades. Used a Cooper's Wheat kit with a White Labs Hef yeast. So esentially I'm just making a smaller batch using the Mr. Beer keg. I'm fascinated by the process and would like to try a partial grain batch next. I do however like the idea of a 2.5 gal batch rather than a 5. Would there be any issues about having too much air if I made these smaller batches in the standard 6 gal fermenters?

Amy Viny

I'm fascinated by the process and would like to try a partial grain batch next. I do however like the idea of a 2.5 gal batch rather than a 5. Would there be any issues about having too much air if I made these smaller batches in the standard 6 gal fermenters?

First of all, Amy, welcome to the world of homebrewing. I wish you success. The short answer to your question is that that larger fermenter shouldn't be much cause for concern provided you rack the beer into a smaller secondary immediately after fermentation is complete and positive flow of CO2 has ceased. I hope you have an airlock, btw. The size of the batch you brew should depend entirely on the size of the secondary carboy plus a half gallon or so. In other words, if you have a 2.5 gal carboy then brew 3 gallons for your primary ferment. You want the secondary to be filled damn near to the top.

I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with MrBeer at all, but if you describe your setup I can be more specific with any additional advice you need.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."