• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beacon Hill suggestions?

Taboni

My wife and I are going to Boston for a long weekend and staying in Beacon Hill (Charles Street Inn) Anyone have a suggestion for somewhere special in the area? We are open to pretty much anything except for Japanese/sushi.

Thanks.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Lots of people recommend a place called the Grotto in Beacon Hill. We've never been so unfortunately I can't provide a first-hand account. (37 Bowdoin, 617-225-3434)

Number 9 Park is in Beacon Hill (Nine Park Street). If you go, I recommend sticking with the food in the cafe where they don't take reservations. We've never waited more than a few minutes for a table there. We have eaten there a number of times and enjoyed excellent food. Our one experience in the dining room left us feeling underwhelmed for the price.

If you are dressed up a bit for dinner, feeling fancy, and have a little money in your pocket I would recommend grabbing a drink at the Federalist in the XV Beacon hotel (Fifteen Beacon Street). Outstanding selections of wine by the glass from their cellar. Really nice spot for a romantic glass of wine.

If you are willing to travel a bit, there is good food nearby but in other neighborhoods. Great food up in the North End. Good stuff in the South End. Be careful in both of those neighborhoods because there is a lot of chaff with the wheat. Let me know if you will be on the move.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I would highly recommend Lala Rokh in Beacon Hill.  A nice, understated environment with a helpful staff to guide you through ordering their terrific Persian food. 

Lala Rokh's Website

Just had to second the recommendation of Lala Rokh. My husband and I visited Boston a few years ago and had a great meal there. Glad to see it is still recommended.

I would highly recommend Lala Rokh in Beacon Hill.  A nice, understated environment with a helpful staff to guide you through ordering their terrific Persian food. 

Lala Rokh's Website

Just had to second the recommendation of Lala Rokh. My husband and I visited Boston a few years ago and had a great meal there. Glad to see it is still recommended.

I've also heard great things about this restaurant, but haven't been. No. 9 Park is one of my absolute favorite restaurants. They are open for lunch too, so if you don't want to spend too much, you'll get the same excellent food for less at lunch.

I've also heard that Torch, in Beacon Hill is supposed to be very good, small and romantic. Haven't been myself though.

You really cannot go wrong in the north end. Good food everywhere.

Pam

Thanks for your help. I will be sure to let you guys know what we decided on and hopefully give a good review! I just hope it doesn't snow.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I don't remember if it's actually in Beacon Hill, but on Charles St., just a couple of blocks from the Public Gardens is one of my favorite places for pizza in Boston, called Figs. The Pizza Bianco (I think that's what it's called) is phenomenal: the restuarant's thin crust pizza with balsamic caramelized onions, a little mozzerella and then a salad of fresh arugula and tomatoes on top, lightly dressed in olive oil. Oh, makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Number 9 Park is in Beacon Hill (Nine Park Street).  If you go, I recommend sticking with the food in the cafe where they don't take reservations.  We've never waited more than a few minutes for a table there.  We have eaten there a number of times and enjoyed excellent food.  Our one experience in the dining room left us feeling underwhelmed for the price.

I'd second Stephen's No. 9 Park recommendation. It is located right below the Massachusetts State House on the corner of Beacon & Park Streets.

Read more here.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I just hope it doesn't snow.

Um...as I sit here trying to figure out where we are going out to eat with my in-from-out-of-town parents this weekend after sloshing around all day I'm thinking this weather couldn't be farther from what you wanted.

I'd rather have it 10 degrees colder and snow for your sake. Beacon Hill in the snow is beautiful.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN