• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Resturant open or closed

winesonoma

I'm thinking of meeting my GF in New Orleans on a Sat through Wed. What kind of days open exists there. I know that Monday is a traditional day for restaurants to be closed, but what about Sunday? Any ideas appreciated. :hmmm:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

You won't have any trouble finding someplace to eat. It's a tourist town and a town where the locals eat out alot. Things are generally open a bit more that in other places.

Gambit Fall Rest Guide by Neighborhood

Restaurant Guide By Cuisine

Brett Anderson's Top 100 (you can trust him. He gets it)

THese have the hours listed for most of the places that you might be interested in.

Have a great time. With any luck the weather will be great. The crawfish are starting to come in and they are cheap. Oysters have been really good this fall, as well.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'm thinking of meeting my GF in New Orleans on a Sat through Wed. What kind of days open exists there. I know that Monday is a traditional day for restaurants to be closed, but what about Sunday? Any ideas appreciated.  :hmmm:

Upperline is my Sunday standby. You almost can't go wrong there, including with the Sazeracs.

Dress for dining? Being from Northern California what is the usual dress for dining in New Orleans? Will a polo shirt and dockers be acceptable? Jeans?

Bruce Frigard

Depending on what you decide on, you will most likely want, at the least, a sport jacket and a decent pair of slacks (dockers should do it). When you make reservations you will want to confirm this. You do not want to end up wearing the "jacket of shame" provided by some places for patrons who are a bit under the dress code. Most places are not as strict as they once were, but it's always good to check.

Also, the weather this time of year is notoriously unpredictable. Today it's in the seventies, but we are supposed to be back into the thirties by Friday, so plan to bring at least one jacket that will keep you warm and dry. New Orleans, with it's humidity level, can be damn cold when the wind is blowing off of the river, even when the therm. reads in the mid 40's-kind of like San Francisco, so I am sure you know what I mean.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 1 month later...

Back from the Big Easy. Sat nite I was surprised to go to the company function with the girlfriend. 3 rooms, 3 bands, 3 kinds of food. Lousy bar for cocktails. Howl at the Moon. They booked the whole place. We ate at Antoine's, Napoleon House, The Bombay Club, Cobalt and Muriel's. Antoine's rides on it's reputation and the food was good, wine list better. Napoleon House was alright for a nice quiet lunch, classical music and a nice atmosphere. Loved the Bombay Club, like a living room with great drinks. Had dinner there on Valentines day and it was excellent. Cobalt, what can I say? It was a dark and stormy night and we took refuge there and had the best meal of our trip. Muriel's for lunch was also a highlight of our trip, looking out on the street through the opened doors. A very enjoyable trip. Temps in the 70 degree range Mon and Tues. :wub::wub:

Bruce Frigard

Back from the Big Easy. Sat nite I was surprised to go to the company function with the girlfriend. 3 rooms, 3 bands, 3 kinds of food. Lousy bar for cocktails. Howl at the Moon. They booked the whole place. We ate at Antoine's, Napoleon House, The Bombay Club, Cobalt and Muriel's. Antoine's rides on it's reputation and the food was good, wine list better. Napoleon House was alright for a nice quiet lunch, classical music and a nice atmosphere. Loved the Bombay Club, like a living room with great drinks. Had dinner there on Valentines day and it was excellent. Cobalt, what can I say? It was a dark and stormy night and we took refuge there and had the best meal of our trip. Muriel's for lunch was also a highlight of our trip, looking out on the street through the opened doors. A very enjoyable trip. Temps in the 70 degree range Mon and Tues. :wub::wub:

Bruce Frigard