• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

20 reasons to fall in love with India

Monica Bhide

When in Delhi, you have to eat at Haldirams or pig out there like we did. We went to their sprawling place just outside of Delhi. Haldirams is the Indian version of western fast food – we were in a large group and were able to sample a lot of their stuff. My favorite was their chole bhatura ( chickpeas with a fried bread).

A BIG thank you for the recommendation! When I mentioned Haldiram's to my host, he got very excited and we planned to go on the very next weekday (to avoid the weekend crowds). Well, we went today to the Lajpat Nagar Haldiram's and it was one of my favorite experiences so far. Kind of like Disneyland for the taste buds - sweets, savories, snacks galore! My only regret was not getting to sample enough, owing to a small stomach and not enough companions. Favorite dishes were paneer tikka, chaat (I don't remember the name of the particular kind I had) and the kulfi that comes in the little ceramic pot. We brought home some sweets for our hosts so I am looking forward to trying those as well.

I heart Haldiram's :wub:. Thanks, Monica!

Gingerpeach - Did I mention that you would need to bring some back for me if you followed my recommendations. Sigh....

HAVE FUN -- while in Lajpat Nagar go to the middle area of the market - they sell some really great pakoras there (fritters). Also some wonderful mouth freshners as well

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Let me add another voice to the chorus. These are really lovely and make me want to pick up and run off right now! My own Indian cooking at home tonight has been both enhanced by and dwarfed by seeing these.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I just caught this thread, Monica, this is splendid!

I particularly enjoyed the market pictures. Markets are my favorite places when i get a chance to travel. I have never been to India. Would love to one day...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!!

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Gingerpeach - Did I mention that you would need to bring some back for me if you followed my recommendations. Sigh....

HAVE FUN -- while in Lajpat Nagar go to the middle area of the market - they sell some really great pakoras there (fritters). Also some wonderful mouth freshners as well

I PM'd you a cybersnack for now, but if you'll be visiting the Pacific NW in the near future, I'd be happy to follow up with the real thing! Thanks for the market tips.

I think Mcdonalds should open an international version of their chain in major metros - what they are serving in all the other countries. It would be fun.

Oh Monica, I am so glad you are back safely and able to share all those great goodies in words and pictures. My mouth watered with every new picture as I scrolled down the page. Your story and pictures were really a joy for me and I too am getting in line with the others who are anxiously awaiting a trip to India.

Now about MacDonalds and the International Menu. I would love to trade our "Teriyaki Mac Burger" we have in Japan with one of those Aloo Tikki Burgers. I never bothered to try MCD in India, as I wanted to have as much Indian food as possible since I had such limited time. I will do so next time on your recommendation, as it seems MCDs is Indianized, as ours are Japanized by serving such delights as Melon-flavored Shakes. (Now if they would only use Midori Liqueur instead of green syrup!!! :rolleyes: )

I am looking forward to reading and learning more from you.

Pompollo

Hi Monica,

I just got back from India last night and these pics are making me cry like a baby thinking of all the stuff I've left behind :((. The pics are lovely and so are your descriptions :). I managed to check out most of the places u mention in Bombay but this was my first visit to Bangalore and I didnt end up at the best food places .. will pester you for recommendations next time around. Am already starting to save for my trip again next year :).

-w@w