• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

20 reasons to fall in love with India

Monica Bhide

Oh dear, I am stunned, and I am so in love with Indian cuisine...Monica, you are a paragon of showing us with such precision what we lack here. Although there are plenty of lower economic classes that make do in inventive ways, the typical visitor to our country is never exposed to them. I wish more people could see what a parallel there exists, rather than differences...

I am so envious of some of those dishes, especially the mustard fish. You have just got to have the cutest little cousin--many good wishes to her!

Madhur would be very, VERY proud of you! :wub::wub:

Mabelline - Thank you, there is so much more to tell. If anyone ever tells you they know all about India, they are lying. They have to be.... like any other country there is SO MUCH to discover and so much to learn. I feel blessed to be able to write about food -- so much to learn and so much to do.

:smile:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

What lovely pictures and descriptions of India. The pictures of the fresh produce are a gift during this cold winter we're having.

And I have to agree that the aloo tikki burger sounds like something I'd really like.

Your cousin is just simply beautiful. That picture looks like one out of a magazine.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

gallery_6825_0_110889.jpg

What the green pear-looking items to the left of the cucumbers? And the green vegetable just above the purple cabbages?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

WONDERFUL, THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Your beautiful post and pictures along with Ellen's amazing posts of her trips are just two of the way more than twenty reasons I am hooked on eGullet and continue to spend way too much time on same. Thank you again and all the many great posters on eG. So much to learn and enjoy, so little time.

colestove

I'm sure the crinkly green cucumber shaped vegetables are bitter melon, but I don't know what the pear shaped green ones are.

And I just put that picture on my computer as the background. I hope you don't mind, Monica, but it's a breath of summer in the middle of the winter. We've had temperatures hovering around -30C during the day here, so anything that speaks of warmth is up my alley right now.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

Monica,

The tips of my fingers are tingling with anticipation for my first trip to India.

I land in Delhi on 2/12 and these pix and your editorial transported me.

Thx mucho,

Mark

Me too, I land on 13/02 (or 02/13 depending on where you come from :raz: )

Good to see some restaurant recs in Delhi, any more gratefully appreciated! :smile: Any chance of some addresses of those already posted?

I'm still looking for recommendations in Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Kota, Jaisalmer, Bikaner, Mandawa, Ranthamabore.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Monica,

My Tabouli recipe I sent you pales in comparison to that food you pictured!

doc

No Doc - it was awesome. It really was and I will be back buggin you for more stuff..

You are too kind! :)

I have a variation of that recipe which I call 7-up Tabouli. Try substituting half fresh lime juice for half of the lemon juice!

doc

Monica, congratulations and thank you for one of the most enjoyable threads ever at eG. Your initial query asking for input on what we wanted you to photograph was time well-spent, for all who responded, I see. (Though seeing the McD's depressed me.)

Beautiful work.