• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BLT Soup

woodburner

Escarole....thats a lettuce ....right?

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Hmmm, I'd do it as a hot/cold soup. Make something similar to a tomato gazpacho, chilled, do some shredded lettuce on top, crumble some warm crispy bacon overtop, swirl in a bit of mayo or sour cream, fresh cracked black pepper, and serve while ther lettuce is still crispy, the tomato base still cold and chunky, and the bacon still warm.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Ducasse does a wonderful veloute-type sauce made from Boston lettuce. I'm sure a little of that with some crumbled up bacon and tomato concasse would be nice. I'll try to find the recipe.

When I saw this thread I thought it was about a restaurant. We have a place here in NYC called BLT Steak, and another on the way called BLT Fish, named for the chef, Laurent Tourondel, as in Bistro Laurent Touondel. I thought this was an announcement that he was going to open BLT Soup.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Or you could do a hot tomato bisque and add the cold lettuce, shredded, like you would with pozole.

The cold shredded lettuce added to the steaming pozole, has always been an important part of the dish for me.

I think it would be good as a cold soup. I would make tomato water, or perhaps something like a gazpatcho as a base, but make it from cherry tomatoes. Then I would probably shred the lettuce very fine as a garnish. I would use a dollop of sour cream, perhaps with a slight amount of mayo in it, mixed up with a little bit of lemon juice, put a dollop of that in there, and top that with squares of bacon. Or lardons. Serve with toast points.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I think it would be good as a cold soup. I would make tomato water, or perhaps something like a gazpatcho as a base, but make it from cherry tomatoes.  Then I would probably shred the lettuce very fine as a garnish. I would use a dollop of sour cream, perhaps with a slight amount of mayo in it, mixed up with a little bit of lemon juice, put a dollop of that in there, and top that with squares of bacon. Or lardons. Serve with toast points.

This sounds like a solid dish. The tomato water is a good move. I might actually try this tonight...

Edited by carp (log)

a light tomato cream soup with wilted arugula piled in the center (hmm like lettuce) with crisp grilled superthick cut pepper coated bacon squares. drizzled with an aioli (for the mayo) and perhaps some bacon fat .black truffle oil crutons.

or

spinich cream soup with bacon fat roasted tomatoes with crisp bacon on top as well as bacon fat crutons. garnish with a few spinich leaves and lemon zest mayo..or aioli.

or

gazpachio with mache and procutto crisps. parmesean crutons.

good luck.

:wink:

edited to include that I skimmed the rest of the thread just now...and feel trite...meep. :huh:

Edited by Luckylies (log)

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Oooh, also remembering way back when from the BLT thread this summer, Basil goes quite well on a BLT, no? So, how about basil leaves spread over the top in a chiffonade instead of lettuce? Or mixed 50/50 with iceberg lettuce for that crunch...

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Ducasse does a wonderful veloute-type sauce made from Boston lettuce. I'm sure a little of that with some crumbled up bacon and tomato concasse would be nice. I'll try to find the recipe.

When I saw this thread I thought it was about a restaurant. We have a place here in NYC called BLT Steak, and another on the way called BLT Fish, named for the chef, Laurent Tourondel, as in Bistro Laurent Touondel. I thought this was an announcement that he was going to open BLT Soup.

I thought the same - rumor has it there is a third restaurant in the works possibly BLT Meat but I like BLT Soup better granted its probably not Laurent Tourondel's style

1) Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot until shimmering, but not smoking.

2) add a BLT. Brown well on both sides.

3) Add beef or chicken stock (preferrably home-made) until it just covers the browned BLT

4) Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 hours. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface.

5) Strain the soup and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to intensify.

6) Reheat and serve with crumbled potatochips as a garnish.

:biggrin:

Heh, wow, I never thought I'd see a recipe pop-up for BLT stock... I wonder if one has to use a whole BLT, or if one could just use the bones and bits of flesh stuck to the carcass ;).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

1) Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot until shimmering, but not smoking.

2) add a BLT.  Brown well on both sides.

3) Add beef or chicken stock (preferrably home-made) until it just covers the browned BLT

4) Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 hours.  Skim off any fat that rises to the surface.

5) Strain the soup and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to intensify.

6) Reheat and serve with crumbled potatochips as a garnish.

:biggrin:

brilliant. you have my admiration. It's thoughts like this that make being online, on a food forum, very, very important fo a budding chef.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.